The Student Room Group

Should I claim on this accident?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
No matter what you're doing, if someone drives into the back of your car it is always their fault for not maintaining an appropriate stopping distance, so the OP doesn't need to worry on that front.

Definitely under the circumstances OP is describing ie. coming up to a roundabout.

But surely not if OP had stopped suddenly?
Reply 41
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
No matter what you're doing, if someone drives into the back of your car it is always their fault for not maintaining an appropriate stopping distance, so the OP doesn't need to worry on that front.

Not sure how you make that assumption, 99% of the time you're probably right, but there are plenty of reasons why going into the back of somebody might not be your fault and we've only heard one side of the story. If the other driver contests the OP's version of events, the insurance company will no doubt do very little investigation and merely apportion blame on a 50-50 basis, in the grand scheme of things they couldn't care less whose fault it is.
Reply 42
OK, so now you've filled in a few blanks maybe he's not as bad as merely the text conversation would imply, but people can only make judgements on the information put in front of them.

But I stil have no idea why he is telling you to claim for neck whiplash, is there anything wrong with your neck?
Reply 43
You should only claim if the incident has caused any financial loss to you. That's what claims are for isn't it? Paying for any medical bills, lost time at work etc.

If you have not lost out money wise then don't claim. Simple.
Reply 44
you do realise the nhs exists right?

people are probably "making you out to be a bad guy" because people putting lots of claims in is what makes general insurance so high, and you havn't mentioned that you will have loss of earnings or anything so I don't really see why you deserve any money. But nevertheless that wasn't really my point or my intention with my question it was the fact that if you need any medical treatment it will be covered by the state and putting in a claim will make no difference to your back so that reasoning made no sense.
Reply 45
Original post by boba
you do realise the nhs exists right?

people are probably "making you out to be a bad guy" because people putting lots of claims in is what makes general insurance so high, and you havn't mentioned that you will have loss of earnings or anything so I don't really see why you deserve any money. But nevertheless that wasn't really my point or my intention with my question it was the fact that if you need any medical treatment it will be covered by the state and putting in a claim will make no difference to your back so that reasoning made no sense.

If the OP has a genuine injury she should go and see a doctor and get a referral for a course of physiotherapy if that is what the doctor recommends, I would then take that referral to get treatment privately and claim the cost back along with any other genuine expenses (travel, loss of earnings, etc) from the insurance company. The wait would be too long on the NHS and the taxpayer doesn't need to be funding it.

What I wouldn't do is decide a few hours after the accident, without having consulted a doctor, whether I should make a claim for an aching back just because my instructor told me to and seek advice on an internet forum. Compensation in this country has always been about compensating for actual losses, not as a punitive measure like the US.
Reply 46
well. the nhs would cover any physio or any treatment needed for your back so saying you wanted to claim because you were concerned about your back made no sense. if you had to take time off work then yes I would expect you to claim but I would expect you to be thinking about that after your doctors appointment tomorrow if they say there might be some cause for concern not tonight just after it has happened. you didn't even mention having a job and might having to take time off until I said that so its obviously not a huge concern for you :confused:

I just don't understand why you already seem so much more concerned about putting in a claim than being upset over what happened or the fact you are in pain.
Reply 47
Original post by James82
If the OP has a genuine injury she should go and see a doctor and get a referral for a course of physiotherapy if that is what the doctor recommends, I would then take that referral to get treatment privately and claim the cost back along with any other genuine expenses (travel, loss of earnings, etc) from the insurance company. The wait would be too long on the NHS and the taxpayer doesn't need to be funding it.

What I wouldn't do is decide a few hours after the accident, without having consulted a doctor, whether I should make a claim for an aching back just because my instructor told me to and seek advice on an internet forum. Compensation in this country has always been about compensating for actual losses, not as a punitive measure like the US.

I agree with the bit in bold but from my experience (personal more than once,and knowing rather a few others who have had to) if you need physo you get it straight away its not something with a big waiting list. And the tax payer funds the nhs whether she takes up a couple of hours a week or not it would literally be a drop in the ocean so I wouldn't bother with the private treatment.
Reply 48
Original post by boba
well. the nhs would cover any physio or any treatment needed for your back so saying you wanted to claim because you were concerned about your back made no sense. if you had to take time off work then yes I would expect you to claim but I would expect you to be thinking about that after your doctors appointment tomorrow if they say there might be some cause for concern not tonight just after it has happened. you didn't even mention having a job and might having to take time off until I said that so its obviously not a huge concern for you :confused:

I just don't understand why you already seem so much more concerned about putting in a claim than being upset over what happened or the fact you are in pain.

I agree with this except the bit about using the NHS, the waiting times are too long and why should the taxpayer fund the treatment?
Reply 49
Original post by boba
I agree with the bit in bold but from my experience (personal more than once,and knowing rather a few others who have had to) if you need physo you get it straight away its not something with a big waiting list. And the tax payer funds the nhs whether she takes up a couple of hours a week or not it would literally be a drop in the ocean so I wouldn't bother with the private treatment.

Depends on your local health authority: http://www.csp.org.uk/sites/files/csp/secure/csp_pd090_waiting_times_survey.pdf

The average maximum waiting time was 6-8 weeks, in some health authorities it is 1 week and some it is up to 40 weeks, talk about a postcode lottery, but if you go privately they will see you in a few days.
Reply 50
I'm not sure what your point is? you seem to have missed mine which is that you should only claim for costs incurred to you such as loss off earnings or whatever not just because you can. I never questioned whether or not you were in pain or said that your instructor told you to do it.
Reply 51
Original post by James82
Depends on your local health authority: http://www.csp.org.uk/sites/files/csp/secure/csp_pd090_waiting_times_survey.pdf

The average maximum waiting time was 6-8 weeks, in some health authorities it is 1 week and some it is up to 40 weeks, talk about a postcode lottery, but if you go privately they will see you in a few days.

wow well I'm glad to live where I do then, and in that case yes I agree if you live somewhere that you would have to wait you should go private and claim the cost of that.
Reply 52
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Claim and say that you have whiplash and headaches, dont go out for a few days, keep going to the doctors and saying it hurts alot, try to stay awake all night, then say that to the doctors too that you cant sleep cause of the pain and that you keep getting flashbacks and feel scared and everytime you cross the road you scared a car is going to hit you.

You'l be loaded :smile: If only someone crashed into me when i was a learner :frown:

p.s if you aint that good of an actor, just go on a really fast rollercoaster and keep going onit till you actually get whiplash, also dont say to the doctors you went to a theme park, and plz do destroy the ticket. And go on bumper cars and piss people off there so they smash in the back of you

Please don't take this advice! Go to the doctors once. They will do their job, assess you and take appropriate action. If you start going back again and again just to make your claim more worthy, or start giving yourself symptoms like temporary insomnia due to the accident, you will simply be wasting the doctor's time, as well as the NHS's resources and money. Tax payers don't want to see their hard earned money spent on repeat visits from teenage girls trying to get as much money as possible from their compensation claim.

Original post by PataynaRolaay
You'l be loaded :smile: If only someone crashed into me when i was a learner :frown:

People saying things like this is what has fuelled the compensation culture. Wishing physical pain upon yourself just for a quick buck is pathetic.
Original post by Mother_Russia
Definitely under the circumstances OP is describing ie. coming up to a roundabout.

But surely not if OP had stopped suddenly?

Especially when the OP stopped suddenly it's the other person's fault, they were way too close to the car to react in time.

Original post by James82
Not sure how you make that assumption, 99% of the time you're probably right, but there are plenty of reasons why going into the back of somebody might not be your fault and we've only heard one side of the story. If the other driver contests the OP's version of events, the insurance company will no doubt do very little investigation and merely apportion blame on a 50-50 basis, in the grand scheme of things they couldn't care less whose fault it is.

Of course, but if it is found that the OP's version is true then it's undoubtedly the other driver's fault.
Original post by mariah11mariah
would kind of expect that from a pakistani like urself (btw this aint racist- im a decent pakistani)
.... dont u have any shame. and for crying out loud, the experience must have been traumatising but u knw people die due to medical errors, dont see them putting claims in. if ur so desperate for the money, get up and work.

Lol get what my dad said to me yesterday when we were looking at cars on autotrader.. 'These are too expensive, should we crash into someone and put compensation in, and have a few people in the car?' , i said 'yh' lol. Was so random for ma dad to come up with a plan! And yeah il work, find me a job in this recession then :smile: Pudiyavani

But yeah, if anyone even crashes into me lightly (even 5mph) il put a claim in for everything i can think off, everyones insurance premiums are going up, unless everyone stops all this crash for cash culture, then they'l go down. If one person doesnt claim, not everyones gonna stop. So yh, any chance i get, il put a claim in. My uncle always puts a claim in and theres always a pay out. Im going to be doing the same at any chance i have.

To the OP, dont listen to the trolls on this site. Go for it, you have pain in your back, remember the advice i gave you about the whiplash (rollercoasters and hardcore bumper cars) and all that. You'l be fine, you can use that money towards your car insurance, and lol the text from you instructor can show that he was waiting for this oppurtunity! Who wouldnt! Good luck with it, and ignore all the other advice they're giving you on this thread, your back hurts, someone needs to pay for the pain and trauma!

Pm if you need any tips about the claim and all that :wink:
Original post by EXPRESSANDINSPIRE
Insurance premiums are sky high because of people like you and your foreign uncle, who claim for the sole purpose of financial gratification.. :angry:

Trust me, insurance is a nightmare :/ ! Insurance premiums are going higher and higher and higher. We cant do nothing about it.
its the claim for crash culture thats on everywhere. If one person stops (like the OP) and doesnt claim, then that wont make any difference to our premium. If everyone in the UK stops, then we might see something. She can get a payout of a couple of thousand, the accident wasnt her fault! She's suffering trauma and back pain.

And my uncle isnt foreign, he's born and bred in the UK, pudiyavana
It wasnt your fault at all. You had an accident, someone hurt you. Your suffering from trauma and whiplash, why shouldnt you claim?! Go for what you think is best. If you do claim, say you'l use the money to get back therapy and treatment and massages. I swear there are so much stuck up c**** on TSR :frown:
Reply 57
Whiplash in your lower back, that must be a new one for medical science, you can get referred pain in your lower back from a whiplash injury, but the whiplash would still be in your neck.
Reply 58
It doesn't affect anyone on this forum, but you still posted it here. If you're going to get all tetchy about the replies maybe you shouldn't have posted it.

Talking about being a ****, coming to find out about making a claim before finding out about your back would seem like a slightly dickish thing to do, contradicting yourself and lying about the accident would seem like a slightly dickish thing to do. If you think pointing this out makes me a ****, then that's your opinion and I'll happily take that honour knowing that I'm not a liar or considering committing fraud.
Reply 59
Not sure what the pictures would prove, I'm not disputing you were in an accident, just that you have clearly contradicted yourself about the details of the accident.

I never said you were clearly committing fraud, stop twisting my words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending