The Student Room Group

Should I claim on this accident?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Seeing as he must be pushing 70 or older I guess it dispels the myth that with great age comes great wisdom, because he is wrong.
Reply 61
I am not talking about your accident or your dad's accident, I'm talking about your generalisation that 100% of people who drive in to the back of people are at fault, that simply isn't the case. And I think you should read the highway code if you actually think it contains a section on who's to blame for an accident.
(edited 3 years ago)
You should claim if you incur any costs as a result of this, or lose any earnings.

Go and see a doctor, if they refer you to a physiotherapist then claim for the cost of that. If they tell you to take a day or more off work then claim for that, but if all that has happened is a bit of pain and nothing more then no you shouldn't claim.
Reply 63
No - you should not.
It was not your car so you don't need repayment for repairs. And you are clearly not seriously affected by it, by claiming becuase "your back is a bit sore" you are doing two things;
Turning this country into a claims nation like the US,
And adding to the rising insurance premiums that are going to hit you when you try to buy a car.
Reply 64
Whiplash cannot be medically proven, the doctor was jumping to the first conclusion, GP's are not superheroes "ya know".

Whether you paid for lessons is irrelevant, people claim after crashes so that the other side's insurance company will pay for repairs, it's not your car, so that does not concern you.

After reading all of your responses I have come to the conclusion that you are just a spiteful little brat. You have asked a question, snapped back at any responses, and have joked about committing insurance fraud by lying. If you had any sense you would realise that somebody might use those text messages against you.
Reply 65
-Firstly, please learn how to write correctly, it is painful to read your responses.
-Secondly, I did not say that he was a liar, what I said was that, for the sake of making his life easier, he put two and two together: car crash + bad back = standard case of whiplash. I was told by my GP that I had whiplash and it turned out that I had a slipped disc. He was just being lazy.
-Thirdly. I did not say that you are lying, I am saying that you are just trying to get money for the sake of it. You are not losing earnings, you do not have to repair a car, you simply have to take it easy for a couple of days.
-And lastly, you have told about five people to "grow up" yet you are the one acting childish.

Oh and one final thing, don't call me 'darling' it makes me feel nauseous, and makes you sound like a complete chav...which you probably are.
Reply 66
The mere fact that you have just listed those things proves what a vulgar person you actually are. I went through 14 years of private school and have met countless people such as yourself, deluded into thinking that you are classy because you have a bit of money -- seen Katy Price by any chance? So yes, chavs do all of those things, and sometimes much, much more.

Furthermore, writing on your phone is not excuse for poor grammar, it just adds to the negative image of yourself.

If it is between you and your instructor, why did you post this online? Attention seeking presumably.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the authorities would love to see your little messages on here. I don't think they would take likely to people manipulating insurance policies :wink:
Reply 67
Sorry but do you really need the money if you can afford these things?
If this woman has got kids and a bashed up car, do you not think she will be better off with her money?

You're calling her a trollop quite a lot but you don't even know the reason that she was driving too fast.

Also just saying a learner driver doesn't have the highest credibility, especially on your fourth lesson, which means your version of events may not even be considered reliable. Your instructor is probably a good source of authority but will be biased because it's his car that got smashed up.

I can understand that you're angry and maybe hurt, but you've come on here and asked a question and you've got plenty of people answering you. Just consider their answers. Don't argue needlessly and use foul language. If you've already made up your mind then why did you even ask the question in the first place?
Reply 68
If he was being really bad and it was due entirly due to his reckless driving and not you driving too slow or something like that (I believe you can fail your test for driving too slow) then go for it.
Though try not to screw him over, he might have been late for work and being a single father trying to bring up a child, if he cannot pay is new higher insurance premiums then he might not be able to afford a car so cannot get to his job so loses it and then loses his house blah blah blah.

Just think about the reprocussions on him.

Also, if you car is damaged then you should obviosuly claim for that.
Reply 69
Sigh...

Well you can say the same for my instructor, he has a job so he doesnt need the money.

He needs the money to repair his car.

Just because what comes out of my own pocket for my personal enjoyment has nothing to do on deciding if i make a claim or not.

If you don't need the money and you're not losing any money cause of the incident, you shouldn't claim.

No? Why should me and my instructor have to stuff because of someone elses neglegence?

I don't understand this sorry. "have to stuff"?

Clearly by her husband stating shes crashed before and he wants to pay us money proves she was in the wrong, she should learn to pay attention to the roads and know to keep her distance from cars but escpecially a learner driver.

Are you admitting you could be at fault here?

Dont worry my version of events is fully backed by my instructor and its his insurance who i get to claim through too, so i dont have to worry about credability. And well obviously hes going to be on the side of his pupil, and he even said shes driving far too close to us for his liking. Plus i cant help the fact me and my instructor get on ridiciously well either, so :smile:

Your instructor will obviously back your version. You're his student and he wants money. You've supported this criticism in the bit that I bolded.

Whether you and your instructor get on well shouldn't have anything to do with whether your version of events are reliable or not. It's strange how keen you are on emphasising how lovely he is and how you're best friends...

Driving with out due care, trying to over take on the approach to a mini roundabout on a narrow road, general unsafe road user prehaps and generally driving up my arse for a while down the road too - as said by my instructor who noticed this.

You still haven't given thought to the fact that she might have had a good reason for it.

Also you still haven't answered to this: I can understand that you're angry and maybe hurt, but you've come on here and asked a question and you've got plenty of people answering you. Just consider their answers. Don't argue needlessly and use foul language. If you've already made up your mind then why did you even ask the question in the first place?

Although to your credit the swearing has calmed down.

I won't be posting further responses. You know my opinion and I think i've made it obvious that your approach to this entire situation is very flawed.
Well if your driving instructor has advised you to then you should. It's fairly obvious that if you have suddenly got a bad back after the event then it is most likely what caused it to hurt. However it means you will probably (I'm guessing here) have to undertake a medical examination for evidence purposes in order to claim compensation. I heard that people can't prove or disprove people have backache.

I'm assuming you got the other driver's number plate so you can claim off them?!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 71
If you are genuinely sore and have had to take time of work and therefore have loss of earnings then do it, but I always think I'd your going to put in a false claim it'l come back to get you some day and someone will do the same to you!

I was actually in a similar accident 2 days before Christmas, I had stopped at a red traffic light and the woman behind me wasn't paying attention and came into the back of me. I had to take 3 weeks of work and was in bed drugged up on strong painkillers all over Christmas because of the pain in my back and neck. Completely ruined my Christmas celebrations! So I did have a genuine reason to put in a claim which is still ongoing.

I wouldn't put in a false claim because I wouldn't like someone to do that on me basically!
Reply 72
I never once said you were putting in a false claim, I said if your sore then go for because you have a valid reason to do so and you deserve compensation for the pain. I know how you feel about people judging you for it because when I was considering wether to claim or not there was people saying to me is it really neccessary. Even when I was at hospital it was like the doctors were trying to catch me out even thought my pain was 100% genuine, I just felt like I was being judged the whole time i was there. And because I was only 18 at the time of the accident people were assuming it was my fault!
Reply 73
When I was learning to drive my instructor said it is always the person behinds fault if they go into the back of you because they should be a suitable stopping distance behind you if you need to break for any reason!

In my accident in was only my word against hers but luckily she accepted full liability :smile:
Of course your driving instructor is going to put in a claim. Most driving instructors get a massive boner when this sort of thing happens. They don't earn much money at all and it is easier for them to be deliberately ambiguous when it comes to sorting out the special damages aspect, much like taxi drivers. Furthermore, they are conversant with the workings rather farcical small claims world.

When you claim for an injury, the claimant's insurer will add you to a database called CACHE PI/CRU. Driving instructors and taxi drivers often have multiple matches on this database.

I can't say much about your injuries but if you do decide to claim, don't be a bitch and go through one through one of those leeches of no-win no-fee solicitors (Minster Law, Silverbeck Rymer, Bromiley Holcroft etc). At least approach the other person's insurer to tell them that you are injured and see if they are equipped to deal with you directly. Many insurer's have departments that can deal with third party's when they are injured, this ranges from arranging medical reports, sourcing medical evidence to negotiating settlement.

Solicitors hate this but at least this way you are cutting out predictable costs, conditional fee arrangements and success fees etc. Moreover, if the insurer can deal direct with you it is an activity that is heavily regulated and something that you can turn away from at any point so you can't really say that they are going to fleece you.

If you went through a solicitor you would vastly increase the claims cost (£800 and 20% of damages under £500, CFA, 12.5% success fee uplift, ATE premium which is completely unnecessary most of the time and more). Something costing £5000 could have conceivably been settled for less than half of that.

It's the solicitors that are disgusting. When they call you in their guise of solicitors it is clear that they are just interested in their own profits because it's easy money. They couldn't give a flying f**k about you. Most of them are not solicitors as you would imagine by the way, they are depthless underqualified para-legals that think they have an important job.

That's my 2 cents.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
You sure about that?

Been making a lot of claims recently then? :rolleyes:

On topic, make claim if you have lost out financially. Don't bother making claim otherwise.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Kiwihoney
christ, thats what insurance is there for. Better teach them a lesson now, before they go and kill someone next time

OK.. Now we've established your opinion and we've established mine?..

You seem to say she shouldn't be on the road after being in 2 crashes (you don't know if she caused the first one)?

However you've been in a crash within the first 4 hours of being behind the wheel......
I'd like to know where you get £600 fully comp from then, well unless you're planning on "fronting" that is.

If your instructor noticed this woman was getting too close and going too fast (and you should have noticed to - mirror checks especially before changing speed) he should have made sure you braked early and slowly to ensure she had plenty of time to react and slow down herself. The rear-view mirror is there for a reason. I'm not saying it's your fault, but you could've prevented it or lessened the damage.

If you do put in a claim you shouldn't have any trouble getting the money as long as you keep it reasonable. If the pain is really bad enough that it stops you doing things or working then by all means claim. But I don't think you should claim just because your instructor is claiming. You're not going to teach them a lesson by claiming, their insurers pay for it. Her premium will go up but I doubt you claiming would affect that, it'll be the accident alone that affects it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Kiwihoney
christ, thats what insurance is there for. Better teach them a lesson now, before they go and kill someone next time

No it's not, in the UK we never have awarded punitive damages, only damages for actual losses. If the driving was dangerous or reckless then it's a matter for the police and the courts, not for some insurance company to arbitrarily decide.
Reply 79
Not sure what that has to do with who's fault the accident was. In a lot of replies I get the feeling that you either don't understand English very well or you deliberately manipulate what people say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending