The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hey i take the OCR course for chemistry. The good thing about this course is that they split up the organic and inorganic chemistry into seperate modules so it makes learning all that simpler. The AS is not really hard at all, and people usually do very well. The course is more straight to the point chemistry and not practical based like the OCR salters course which i find is a bonus. Any other questions just ask:smile: Hmmm i would say its not dull at all, gets quite exciting at A2 with the pH stuff.
hey i do OCR salters chemistry ITS AWFUL!!!! people r stil dropping it now.. i gotta do my acid alkali titration practical 2moro.. im gna soo fail:frown: we aint taught a thing its useless!
I don't particularly enjoy the OCR Salters course. They seem to have tried too hard to make it 'relevant' to modern industrial processes, and a lot of the practicals are boring and tedious. The work is easy enough for the most part. Thankfully, the exams are more a case of applying your knowledge, rather than just memorising facts - makes it more interesting to revise, and a better indicator of intelligence than 'softer' courses in other subjects.
On the plus side (for me, anyway) the A2 course includes quite a lot of biology related stuff.
Reply 4
People above are on about '' OCR Salters'' chemistry, i agree it's Awful!! OCR chemistry is sooo much better
Reply 5
Sharma
People above are on about '' OCR Salters'' chemistry, i agree it's Awful!! OCR chemistry is sooo much better

am i the only one that enjoys writing 1000 words on tyres? :wink:

nah its kind of dull, but im used to that now. i wouldnt go to "awful", however at the beginning of the year, our 3 hours chemistry session in a row (well,with a 15/20min break between the 3 hours) was torture. but as i say, im used to it now :smile:

saying that, im dropping chemistry next year :biggrin:

i wouldnt let peoples opinions put you off though on the salters (if you are doing it). people have different interests, chem isnt my thing, so i dont enjoy it as much as the other subjects. but providing i get a good grade in it, its not going to look bad on paper :smile:
I find it pretty interesting and not too hard.. though I still end up dropping loads of marks in exams :|
Reply 7
Hey I do OCR chemistry!
I think the course content is pretty much alright to understand, provided that you put effort into it, and its still possible to get good grades by learning straight off if you dont understand. i agree with whoever said up there ^ that its good because they separate the inorganic and organic which helps. The only thing is that there is a lot to learn - but if you genuinely enjoy chemistry then you really shouldnt have a problem.
Reply 8
''A lot to learn'' untill you compare it to the biology content, which is like 5 times more.
Reply 9
Whats the difference between OCR salters & just OCR Chemistry?
Reply 10
OCR salters is more practical based chemistry where as OCR is more straight to the point chemistry. I would say that OCR is easier.
Reply 11
Ahh gotcha. Yeah definitely...OCR would be much easier then I guess
Reply 12
I couldnt stand salters at AS, along with pretty much the whole of the rest of the year group (so much so that its name was officially changed to "fun", as in "got double fun next"). Kept going cos I got good grades, and at A2 am actaully quite enjoying it. The A2 practical may be a bit of a beast, but its actaully quite fun in a non-ironic sense, get to do whatever you want for a month. I agree storylines is pants, but its pretty irrelevant anyway, I didnt even open it for the first A2 module, in fact I think Ive lost it... You need to know like 3 or 4 things from it per module, and they're in any good revision guide.
Reply 13
Yeah?
Reply 14
I do OCR Chemistry. I find that there is a reasonable amount to learn and reasonable amount of application. The Modules are also well split.

However, the big downside about OCR is that their course is somewhat simplified compared to other courses and what they have lost in genuine difficulty they have began to make up for in overly pedantic markschemes. So the success of a student depends as much on their Exam Technique as it does on their ability of the subject.

Latest