The Student Room Group

How foreign students with lower grades jump the university queue

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Isn't the number of UK and EU students limited by a cap anyway while international student numbers aren't capped?
Reply 21
Original post by Darth Stewie
The only sure fire way to stabilize our universities is to charge students more for attending them, even though UK and EU students now pay 9k a year that is still only around 60-65% of what it actually costs to educate them, how much public funding they get really depends on the university but even for top universities like Oxford the amount is not enough to cover the total costs leaving between 1-4k for the university to find themselves.

Compare that to a university like Stanford in the US, they charge around 26k a year and as you can imagine make a tidy profit because of it, that profit not only helps them to maintain their standards of education but also helps them to improve departments and secure research projects that usually result in even more profit.

I'm talking about stabilising a possible whole in their budgets, nothing major, but enough so that they slowly can adapt to it and make things work, because I honestly feel it could have been initiated better, as it is a huge issue.....even my own uni, is focusing cuts on a particular department and people are quite upset about. Government has clearly restricted their abilities in some forms to make more money, but it would have been better to have done a gradual cutting of funding.

The difference is though, that they are private institutions who both receive public and private endowments........uni's here could do with creating a business side of the university such as asset management at Harvard.
Reply 22
I blame the Tories.
Reply 23
Original post by PossibleMPP
So your idea is "well we are already in debt, why not double down and borrow more for the universities?" This kind of thinking has contributed to the current sorry economic state of the country's economy and the global economy as a whole. If the country keeps spending it will drive it only further down into recession and perhaps even a downgraded credit rating.

Have I stated that? No I made a reasonable suggestion, that the government is borrowing regardless, but there are major holes in the budgets of higher education, I suggested that they should try to help stabilise it, that doesn't mean borrowing a large amount. But enough to help universities through such a dramatic change in their budgets. I'm also thinking in long term as well, supporting infrastructure and things like education do certainly help the economy, these areas are vital to keep attracting foreign firms.
Reply 24
This isn't news, its been going on for ages. Furthermore once they are in, lecturers often go easy with them when it comes to plagiarism because a) in some cultures it is the norm (b) they can't expel them all cause they rely on them for funds!
Reply 25
Original post by Negaduck
I blame the Tories.

You do realize that this has been going on for a very long time? In fact it has been the case ever since Margaret Thatcher introduced fees for international students. If it was indeed such a bad policy why then did Labour in 13 years not do anything about it?

Anyway it is hardly surprising at all that this is going on now, most universities even Russell Group ones are essentially struggling with their finance and having to deal with massive funding gaps, end of the day money may get you a place at the university but only good brains will get you out with a degree.

I won't be surprised if in future the cap on home/EU students would almost 100% be dependent upon how many overseas students the uni is able to admit first.
Reply 26
Original post by Herr
You do realize that this has been going on for a very long time? In fact it has been the case ever since Margaret Thatcher introduced fees for international students. If it was indeed such a bad policy why then did Labour in 13 years not do anything about it?

Anyway it is hardly surprising at all that this is going on now, most universities even Russell Group ones are essentially struggling with their finance and having to deal with massive funding gaps, end of the day money may get you a place at the university but only good brains will get you out with a degree.

I won't be surprised if in future the cap on home/EU students would almost 100% be dependent upon how many overseas students the uni is able to admit first.

You should probably know I don't really give a flying **** about the topic at hand. The powerful Political Parties in the UK only care about themselves, we all know that. If they did care then we wouldn't be so far behind other developed nations in terms of Education.
Original post by Iqbal007
Have I stated that? No I made a reasonable suggestion, that the government is borrowing regardless, but there are major holes in the budgets of higher education, I suggested that they should try to help stabilise it, that doesn't mean borrowing a large amount. But enough to help universities through such a dramatic change in their budgets. I'm also thinking in long term as well, supporting infrastructure and things like education do certainly help the economy, these areas are vital to keep attracting foreign firms.

Again you miss the point, borrowing needs to be slowed FULL STOP. You seem not to grasp how dire the economic situation is, or basic economics at all for that matter.
Reply 28
Original post by PossibleMPP
Again you miss the point, borrowing needs to be slowed FULL STOP. You seem not to grasp how dire the economic situation is, or basic economics at all for that matter.

Yes borrowing needs to slow, however you shouldn't put the economy in a situation where your cuts has huge affects on the economy and doing it so suddenly has caused many budget's to fall apart............as well as a loss of public service, etc. I think I know my economics, thank you very much............you should also know that in reality their will always be debt, their more debt than money in this world which is very true. But that also means that we must balance the books properly, you shouldn't make sudden cuts without knowing the consequences........hence why I said that many uni's need some money to stabilise the issue. So that they can ease into cuts and can adapt to it.
Reply 29
If they can't get AAB for the top universities, how are they supposed to get a good degree at university?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Absolutely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending