The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Law/A level grades

Hey, just wondering if I could have some advice here!!! I am currently a second year biology student and am really keen to do a senior status law degreeCPE after university. I am currently on track for a 2.1, and my GCSE's were all A*s or As. However, the only thing that is putting me off is my A level grades. They didn't go as smoothly as planned and I got 3 B's at A2 in Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

At most of the universitys that offer the senior status law degree they seem to just specify they want a 2.1 in your degree. I just want an honest opinion if I should just scrap the idea of law if people think I don't have a snowballs chance in hell because of my A level grades! And maybe not just for postgraduate law, but if firms will look down on me for not being an AAA student!!!

Thanks a bunch!!
Reply 1
Sorry, that was meant to be senior status degree/CPE!!!
Reply 2
Some of the big firms specify that you must have at least AAB to apply, but that certainly doesn't apply everywhere. Someone else might be able to give you more specific advice! It definitely wouldn't make any difference to you getting in somewhere for the CPE.
When looking at applications, a degree trumps A level grades, so I very much doubt you'd have a problem with the institution rejecting you on the basis of your A level grades. However, let me point out that what you achieved is really quite amazing considering all three are of a mathematical/scientific nature!

There may be some difficulty when it comes to applying for training contracts after your CPE. I was looking at some firms and their 'criteria' and many stipulate 'AAB min, good degree etc'. Most simply say 'good set of A level results'. Unfortunately, with the amount of students applying for law today many law schools have raised their standard offers to AAA meaning that there is a large quantity of people qualifying with AAA at A level.

The fact that you will have a degree, then a CPE should go someway to rectify this. The degree shows your scholastic aptitude to study at a higher level and the CPE will demonstrate your scholastic application to a legal education. I think you'll be fine. Don't put your A levels down, I did all Arts subjects, wish I could have got grades like that in maths etc, I can barely count :-)
Reply 4
Cheers for the replies thats great!! yea totally not knocking back my a levels, just concerned that firms won't necessarily care about the subjects, just the fact that they won't see AAA! But I'm still gonna give it a bash, otherwise i'll just kick myself later in life for not trying!

Latest

Trending

Trending