Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paying bills in a student house

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be living in a student house in 2nd year with 7 other people. We've already sorted out our water and tv licence, but none of us want the gas/electricity bills to be in our name. I would just put it in my name to get it all over with, but I'm just not confident in the fact that every one of those 7 people is going to pay me on time. Had a look at Glide, but they seem very expensive. Any advice on what we could do/what our options are?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JillyArmeen)
    I'll be living in a student house in 2nd year with 7 other people. We've already sorted out our water and tv licence, but none of us want the gas/electricity bills to be in our name. I would just put it in my name to get it all over with, but I'm just not confident in the fact that every one of those 7 people is going to pay me on time. Had a look at Glide, but they seem very expensive. Any advice on what we could do/what our options are?
    Nope, put the bills in everyones name. That makes it fair.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This may not be an answer to your question as you've already sorted some of the bills out but I just finished second year and what me and the housemates did worked well. We went to the bank when we moved in and set up a joint account where we each paid rent and a set monthly amount into. All rent and bills then cams out o there, as well as money for toilet paper and cleaning products etc. As we could all see it on online banking, we could check up on the balance and trust each other. At th end of the year, once summer bills are paid, we can split the amount left over ready for when loan money is running out.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavyStripes)
    This may not be an answer to your question as you've already sorted some of the bills out but I just finished second year and what me and the housemates did worked well. We went to the bank when we moved in and set up a joint account where we each paid rent and a set monthly amount into. All rent and bills then cams out o there, as well as money for toilet paper and cleaning products etc. As we could all see it on online banking, we could check up on the balance and trust each other. At th end of the year, once summer bills are paid, we can split the amount left over ready for when loan money is running out.
    What bank were you with? We couldn't find one that would let us have an account with more than 2 people's names on it :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that joint accounts are a bad idea as if the people you're in a joint account with get bad credit rating in the future, you're still linked with them and their bad credit rating can affect you. Also, I don't think all 8 of us can have a joint account :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    What bank were you with? We couldn't find one that would let us have an account with more than 2 people's names on it :dontknow:
    We are with natwest which originally said we could have all 5, then said only 2 but as we had previously been told 5 would be okay, they allowed us with 4 so i am not on it but we get statements through the post so its okay and i trust them.
    (Original post by JillyArmeen)
    I've heard that joint accounts are a bad idea as if the people you're in a joint account with get bad credit rating in the future, you're still linked with them and their bad credit rating can affect you. Also, I don't think all 8 of us can have a joint account :confused:
    I hadn't actually heard this before and nobody mentioned it when we started that but tempted to check that up. I guess credit rating is affected if people dont pay you for whats coming out of account privately.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Glide and they are good. A bit more pricey, but they over-charge you, so you may get some money back at the end if you havent used your full quota of supplies. And their service is good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Used Glide in my second year, they're effective at what they do but as you've noticed, you obviously you pay a little bit more for the priviledge! We did get some back at the end of the year but christ was it an effort, took months.

What we did in third year, roughly worked out how much it would come to per week and overcompensate a little bit - each person set up a direct debit for xxx amount into one persons account (used for bills only), at the end of the year anything that was left was distributed back out.

Just have a stern word and make it clear that you won't have any pissing around when it comes to paying, if they're all your friends they'll understand
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ecotricity.

great customer service and for £20 extra a year you can have pure green energy which is great.

check them out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavyStripes)
    I hadn't actually heard this before and nobody mentioned it when we started that but tempted to check that up. I guess credit rating is affected if people dont pay you for whats coming out of account privately.
    Yes its true, your now financially linked to the people that you held the joint account with even if you've since closed it.

It means that any time in the future, if one of the other people that was on the account has a bad credit rating (e.g. they don't pay their phone bill, credit card bill in a certain month) then everyone associated with their account has their credit rating negatively affected.

To get rid of them from your credit rating you need to request a financial disassociation for your credit report with the 3 credit agencies. Search Google for how to do this.

To OP: whatever you do, don't create a joint account to share bills.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.