Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very annoyed at my "friend" and not sure what to do now

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is going to make sense when I type it out but eh, I'll give it my best shot.

I play in a steelband and we had a rehearsal last night. We kept playing this one song over and over and because I kept getting it wrong (I was trying to improve, I really was), I was repeatedly singled out and laughed at. It was completely mortifying for me and because I knew I was going to burst into tears at some point, I left the room. I went to the toilet to try and clear my head.

About 10 minutes later one of the girls came and found me and checked to see if I was alright, which was really nice of her. I ended up leaving rehearsal and walking home because I couldn't face going back in and have everyone treating me differently. (Pathetic, I know.)

The thing that has really annoyed me about all of this is that my so-called "best friend" did not try and help me in any way. I don't even know the girl that helped me that well, but she's obviously a lot nicer than my friend. My best friend stood there and laughed at me with everyone else while I was obviously embarrassed. My prom is tomorrow (we met through steelband and now go to the same school) and I'm going to have to see her, and I'm not sure how to approach her. I don't want to make a scene and ruin prom for either of us, but I can't let this slide.

Any advice?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Find new friends. Perhaps get closer to the nice girl that helped you.

I don't think you should have gotten so annoyed, perhaps they were only laughing out of banter? You should have laughed with them and not taken it so seriously?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Find new friends. Perhaps get closer to the nice girl that helped you.

I don't think you should have gotten so annoyed, perhaps they were only laughing out of banter? You should have laughed with them and not taken it so seriously?
    I think I would have been okay if it had only been said the one time, but they just kept going. I am a bit too sensitive really. It's just a bit hard to think straight when there's a room of 20+ people looking right at you and laughing.
    Thanks for the help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheridanamber)
    I think I would have been okay if it had only been said the one time, but they just kept going. I am a bit too sensitive really. It's just a bit hard to think straight when there's a room of 20+ people looking right at you and laughing.
    Thanks for the help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Oh I didn't know there were 20.. wow that is harsh
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you so called friend is going to behave like, perhaps you would be better off without her in your life. Everyone makes mistakes, there was no need for them to be picking on you like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a horrible situation to have been in
    But my advice would be to let it slide, like you said you don't want to ruin prom for either of you and saying something will cause tension no matter no nicely you try to put it. Likewise dwelling on it will increase your annoyance at her so if I were you I would try to forget it, it took me a long time to get this. Remember people aren't perfect, they have flaws and make mistakes, especially when they are a close friend, your expectations of her are higher than who she actually she is and if you keep them up she'll disappoint you again. Another piece of advice would not be to have one close friend, branch out, get a wider circle of friends! So if one person annoys you there are others to confide in or turn to.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do, enjoy prom and I hope this ends well!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friends come and go, if she actually cares i'm sure she'll realise you're upset (if you haven't told her already) and apologise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    She's texted me and apologised, I was all for leaving it until after prom but i changed my mind and told her why I was upset. All i really wanted was for her to realise that she hurt my feelings, because i didn't think she knew, and she has. I think things are going to be okay.
    Thanks everyone

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.