Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Finding something private?

Announcements Posted on
At uni or currently applying? Take our short accommodation survey to win one of 5 x £20 Amazon vouchers 25-06-2016
  1. Offline

    Hi everyone. Nice to be here.
    Name's Sigurður (call me Siggi). I'm moving from Iceland next September to start the BSc Hons course in 3d modeling and animation in Bournemouth University. I came here in my hopes to get some help with apartment searching.
    Thing is, I would really want to find a studio apartment or a room for rent for this one year of studying. I just want a quiet place for myself. I suppose we'll mostly be at school so I just need a place to sleep at night. It's not that I'm unsocial or anything, I've rented three places in Iceland with different friends and I just want to try living by myself this time. I've been checking out Rightmove and they seem to have a lot but it's hard to find something that is available from September at least for now, but obviously, I'll need to find something as soon as possible.

    I'm looking forward to arriving, I just can't wait. If anyone could help me with this it will be highly appreciated. See you in Bournemouth!
    Regards, Siggi Trust

    P.S: If anyone knows anything about this course, any info is appreciated. Such as whether I have to study on Maya or if I can use Max etc. Thanks
  2. Offline

    You are better off checking out ads in the local papers in the area for private flat lettings if you have some way to access them from abroad.

    Most ads you will find on the internet for student lets will be for flat/house sharing agreements and any sort of property lets you find on the likes of Rightmove will be usually through a property lettings agency which will almost always entail a UK credit history check and require you to be employed - i.e. no foreign students, unless you are going to pay the whole year's rent in advance.
  3. Offline

    so the university doesn't have any private studio apartments for rent? Got a mail from my former teacher to take a look at Uni Campus and student village. Whatever those are, he said they have private studios.
  4. Offline

    ugh, now I here the campus is 30-60 minutes in bus from the school. I guess Corfe House would be the best choice for me that I know of for now
  5. Offline

    Just to clarify what you are looking for - a studio flat / apartment to yourself? I think you might struggle, most (maybe all) accommodation offered by the university or even privately (companies such as UNITE) is going to involve sharing a kitchen atleast.

    If you're wanting a quiet place, perhaps look for a room in a house shared by post graduate students? They tend to be quieter and more busy with work hence you'd have a quiter environment.

    gumtree or spareroom.co.uk
  6. Offline

    yeah well, I'd accept a shared kitchen but preferably nothing else. That's why, Corfe House sounds like a decent choice. Any recommendations for where I look for apartments with post graduates?
  7. Offline


    You get your own room, bathroom and share a kitchen, sounds like what you're looking for?

    Email the uni's accomodation team, they generally seem to be quite friendly, explain the situation and I'm sure they would be able to give you more specific advice


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which way did you want the referendum to go?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.