Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Law firm/Magic circle approaches to Training Contract Applications

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I've heard that some magic circle firms tend to treat applications differently and look at them more closely than others.

I have ABC at A Level but a first class degree and lots of experience, and I always assumed that I wouldn't be able to apply to magic circle firms because of my A Levels, but ppl I have been speaking to think that this is not the case.

I was wondering if anyone knew which Magic Circle / Silver Circle / US or generally just good law firms that have the attitude of looking at applications more closely than others, or if any of them would look past my A levels?

Thanks
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by efreya)
    Hey guys

I've heard that some magic circle firms tend to treat applications differently and look at them more closely than others.

I have ABC at A Level but a first class degree and lots of experience, and I always assumed that I wouldn't be able to apply to magic circle firms because of my A Levels, but ppl I have been speaking to think that this is not the case.

I was wondering if anyone knew which Magic Circle / Silver Circle / US or generally just good law firms that have the attitude of looking at applications more closely than others, or if any of them would look past my A levels?

Thanks
    Some will employ automatic filtering of candidates based on A Levels, but knowing which ones do this or write in an override if you have a certain degree or just state it but look at them all is difficult to know without either being the grad recruitment team or working at Apply4Law. Slaughters for example just say 'three very strong A Levels' which suggest they might not have a rigid limit, but could also mean they want AAA and just aren't saying that straight up.

You could always try ringing up HR and asking if they do filter automatically, otherwise you may just have to take your chances and see what happens.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.