Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your workout split like?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Due to retarded shifts I only commit to two lifting sessions per week now (however I usually end up getting in 4 big sessions and at least a couple small ones).

Upper Body #1

Bench Press (max)
    Press (volume)
    Rows
    Chins (bodyweight)

Lower Body #1

Squats
    Paused Squats
    Good Mornings
    Good Girl/Bad Girl Machine

Upper Body #2

Press (max)
    Bench (volume)
    Chins (heavy)
    Rows (volume)

Lower Body #2

Squats
    Paused Squats
    RDL
    Good Girl/Bad Girl Machine

Small workouts usually center around working traps and rear delts because I want a big yoke because big yokes are cool. Sometimes I do curls too.

I try to do some form of 'cardio' every day (never more than 15 mins though) and do hill sprints 2x per week. Ab work is done to taste.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Week A:
    Monday
    Snatch - usually up to 80-85%, sometimes higher
    Clean and jerk technique work (pulls, power clean, power jerk etc) triples or doubles
    Back squat

Wednesday
    Clean and jerk up to ~85%, sometimes higher
    Snatch technique
    Front Squat

Thursday
    Back Squat
    Random technique stuff according to what I need to work on that week
    Kettlebell swings

Friday
    Snatch
    Clean technique
    Back Squat

Saturday (sometimes, not every week)
    Random stuff, probably some squats and technique stuff for oly

Week B
    Monday
    Clean and Jerk
    Snatch technique
    Front Squats

Wednesday
    Snatch
    C&J technique
    Back Squats

Thursday
    Back squats
    Other random technique stuff
    Kettlebell swings

Friday
    C&J
    Snatch technique
    Front squats

Add in a couple more kettlebell swing sessions whenever I get time, plus a pushups programme at home 3xweek. Also, this isn't set in stone. Sometimes I can't train on a Weds or w/e so I do it on Tuesday instead, sometimes I train more or less depending on what I've got on, but I usually manage to get 4 trainings a week.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    Does it really matter that much? As long as she's happy with how she looks, then thats what matters. At least she exercises, which is more than a lot of people do!
    Also, I don't do weights (I would like to start though, I have tried a few times) and I have neither a pancake ass nor cellulite.
    Thanks for your comment

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    who cares how much you've lost, it matters what you actually look like. of that 18lbs loss, some of that will be muscle and keep going at this rate, you'll turn out with a pancake ass and cellulite on a skinny body. is this what you want? cos you're heading that way for sure.
    There is more than one way to lose weight healthily and it differs for each individual, surely all that matters is that I'm eating a well balanced diet and I'm doing an exercise routine that I enjoy and that I know I will stick too.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture~Perfect)
    There is more than one way to lose weight healthily
    I would beg to differ, losing more muscle mass than avoidable is never healthy or advantageous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    SS + lots of hypertrophy work
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    I would beg to differ, losing more muscle mass than avoidable is never healthy or advantageous.
    Obviously losing too much muscle mass should be avoided, I was just saying that there is more than one way to lose weight healthily.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    that's not a lot of legs, that's a proportional amount of leg training, bigger muscle groups can be trained more often
    Do you really think so?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously losing too much muscle mass should be avoided, I was just saying that there is more than one way to lose weight healthily.
    There's only one way to lose weight without losing too much muscle mass, and that's eating less and resistance training. I guarantee every other method you think of will have a much bigger compromise than this
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    Do you really think so?
    yeah ok it may be a lot of leg training, but I want big strong legs. That is my goal. And "larger muscle groups can be trained more often" - not sure if I stand by taht statement - but larger muscle groups can definitely take more punishment i.e. probably more volume or more frequency.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    There's only one way to lose weight without losing too much muscle mass, and that's eating less and resistance training. I guarantee every other method you think of will have a much bigger compromise than this
    Obviously you need to do muscle-strengthing exercises, I don't disagree with that, but this comes in more than one form, yoga and sit ups count as muscle-strengthing. I was just trying to make it clear to those that were judging me that there is nothing wrong with my exercise routine and you don't have to lift weights.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    yoga and sit ups count as muscle-strengthing. .
    no they don't, stop deluding yourself
    dont be ridiculous
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    no they don't, stop deluding yourself
    dont be ridiculous
    Oh really I'm deluding myself, so this NHS website is lying to me, oh dear how silly of me to take advice from a team of medical professionals. :rolleyes:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/P...ts.aspx#muscle
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really I'm deluding myself, so this NHS website is lying to me, oh dear how silly of me to take advice from a team of medical professionals. :rolleyes:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/P...ts.aspx#muscle
    doesn't even have a source or reference any journal articles for such an absurd claim. Maybe situps and yoga provide a stimulus for neuromuscular adaptation and strength gains if you're an OAP, but for the average person, no.
    Yoga uses muscles isometrically against a relatively small load, which is the least effective stimulus to elicit strength gains.
    I would also be genuinely surprised if that page was actually written by a doctor, and if it was, shame on them, they need to stop flogging the **** they were taught 30 years ago and review the literature. Also claims "To get health benefits from muscle-strengthening activities, you should do them to the point where you struggle to complete another repetition". Who struggles to do more yoga? Sure it can be strenuous if you're isometrically holding a limb in place and the muscles become fatigued and lactate acumulates, but its far from a stimulus intense enough to elicit strength gains.

Also

>implying I'm not in the process of becoming a medical professional
    >implying I haven't studied the physiology and read the journal articles

Is yoga maximally strenuous? You get out what you put in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would beg to differ. It's healthy for someone who is sedentary to start exercising even if they aren't lifting weights, and it's certainly advantageous from a looks perspective to go from fat to "skinnyfat".

For most people's goals (look better, lose weight) resistance training is going to be optimal, but denying that ANY other kind of exercise has ANY benefit not only makes you look like a stubborn idiot, it's really unhelpful advice to give to someone who is clearly a beginner (as they think 50 situpus a day is worthwhile).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    I would beg to differ. It's healthy for someone who is sedentary to start exercising even if they aren't lifting weights, and it's certainly advantageous from a looks perspective to go from fat to "skinnyfat".

For most people's goals (look better, lose weight) resistance training is going to be optimal, but denying that ANY other kind of exercise has ANY benefit not only makes you look like a stubborn idiot, it's really unhelpful advice to give to someone who is clearly a beginner (as they think 50 situpus a day is worthwhile).
    I can't see that HFerguson took as extreme a view as you imply he does.

Obviously you need to do muscle-strengthing exercises, I don't disagree with that, but this comes in more than one form, yoga and sit ups count as muscle-strengthing. I was just trying to make it clear to those that were judging me that there is nothing wrong with my exercise routine and you don't have to lift weights.
    Yoga will only make you stronger if you're the laziest most sedentary person ever, and even then it will only be to a point. Yoga is for flexibility, and you CAN have too much flexibility, not in the sense that it becomes unhealthy but pointless.
    Similarly, situps are useful to a point, until you can do a million and you're training endurance, not core strength. Then you need to start adding weight.
    Crunches are better for core strength anyway, same concept about endurance and weight though.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yoga is for flexibility, and you CAN have too much flexibility, not in the sense that it becomes unhealthy but pointless.
    You can be flexible and mobile to the point of being hypermobile, and then your joints can be unstable and prone to dislocating - shoulders are a prime example of this. Once dislocated, they have a habit of re-dislocating over time.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)

you would beg to differ that losing muscle can actually be advantageous? mind = blown

why go from fat to skinnyfat, when you can go from fat to "toned" by doing the right kinds of exercise? In the long run, it's less effort and takes less time. I don't remember denying yoga had any benefits; yoga has its benefits, but gaining strength, for the average person, is not one of them. It is not appropriate for the goal of becoming stronger. Pick the right tool for the job.
    If doing yoga improves someone's gym/exercise confidence to the point where they start incorporating stuff like resistance bands, then moving onto machines and eventually a more resistance-exercised based routine, or even god forbid freeweights, then that's fantastic. It doesn't really matter what you're doing so long as you're making it more difficult for yourself and progressing over time and not stagnating.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can be flexible and mobile to the point of being hypermobile, and then your joints can be unstable and prone to dislocating - shoulders are a prime example of this. Once dislocated, they have a habit of re-dislocating over time.
    Well there you go then, yoga can actually be unhealthy. What are the chances anyone will reach that state though?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well there you go then, yoga can actually be unhealthy. What are the chances anyone will reach that state though?
    through yoga alone? incredibly unlikely. I think for the average person who isn't naturally hypermobile with some kind of connective tissue disorder, it's unlikely they'l become hypermobile to the point of instability - that usually happens through injury. One such connective tissue disorder that springs to mind though is Ehler-Danlos.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't see that HFerguson took as extreme a view as you imply he does.
    He quoted someone saying "there's more than one way to lose weight healthily" and responded with "I beg to differ"...

why go from fat to skinnyfat, when you can go from fat to "toned" by doing the right kinds of exercise? In the long run, it's less effort and takes less time. I don't remember denying yoga had any benefits; yoga has its benefits, but gaining strength, for the average person, is not one of them. It is not appropriate for the goal of becoming stronger. Pick the right tool for the job.
    If doing yoga improves someone's gym/exercise confidence to the point where they start incorporating stuff like resistance bands, then moving onto machines and eventually a more resistance-exercised based routine, or even god forbid freeweights, then that's fantastic. It doesn't really matter what you're doing so long as you're making it more difficult for yourself and progressing over time and not stagnating.
    Completely agree with all of this, I was just trying to point out that it's much more likely people will take your (good) advice when you put it like this instead of "only weights are healthy, everything else suxx"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.