Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question on personal statement

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have question on writing my PS.
    (I am applying for chemistry with modules of French)

I don't know whether or not it's wise to talk about me reading science magazines, articles and books. It's genuinely not a lie, I do keep up to date and I am currently reading a book on chemistry but I was worried incase the university tutor reads it and just assumes I'm lieing. Do you think I should or not?

It's not too bad in the case of unis that interview because they can pick up on it, but I am applying to a few which only base their decision on your PS and grades..

Thank you!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynamesamy)
    Hi
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have question on writing my PS.
    (I am applying for chemistry with modules of French)

I don't know whether or not it's wise to talk about me reading science magazines, articles and books. It's genuinely not a lie, I do keep up to date and I am currently reading a book on chemistry but I was worried incase the university tutor reads it and just assumes I'm lieing. Do you think I should or not?

It's not too bad in the case of unis that interview because they can pick up on it, but I am applying to a few which only base their decision on your PS and grades..

Thank you!
    Why would they read it and just assume you're lying? :confused:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's common for people to do some reading around their subject before they start a course in it, I see no reason why they would think you are lying. It's recommended that people mention reading and general research they have done in their free time to demonstrate commitment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Why would they read it and just assume you're lying? :confused:
    I don't know.. I wrote it in my first draft and my teacher picked up on it and pointed out that they may assume I'm exaggerating/lieing as most people do so I was left unsure whether to put it in or not :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    It's common for people to do some reading around their subject before they start a course in it, I see no reason why they would think you are lying. It's recommended that people mention reading and general research they have done in their free time to demonstrate commitment.
    Okay.. thank you
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynamesamy)
    I don't know.. I wrote it in my first draft and my teacher picked up on it and pointed out that they may assume I'm exaggerating/lieing as most people do so I was left unsure whether to put it in or not :/
    How does your teacher expect you to demonstrate enthusiasm for your course without being able to discuss reading and other things you have done? :rolleyes: (<-- towards your teacher.)

Put it back in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If its the truth then write about it. Obviously don't be as blunt and 'I like to read science magazines' say something like you furthered your interest in chemistry through wider reading.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should, it shows that you're actually interested in the subject. Silly goose.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.