The Student Room Group

not so gcse greedy med. schools

Which universities do not receive a large proportion of applicants with many A*s? I only got 1 a* in re and 6 A's, including science, statistcs (extra gcse), and english, b in maths and a couple of c's. Really need an advice as to which one should be a right choice for me.
Not sure which ones are more laid back about GCSEs, but Birmingham specify like 7A*s I think, so maybe check with unis that don't specify? And the really popular medical schools (oxbridge, Manchester, Leeds, London ones etc) are probably a no go, sorry
Reply 2
Original post by nothepreacher
Which universities do not receive a large proportion of applicants with many A*s? I only got 1 a* in re and 6 A's, including science, statistcs (extra gcse), and english, b in maths and a couple of c's. Really need an advice as to which one should be a right choice for me.

Check out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
and remember that GCSEs are only a part of your application.
Your GCSEs are better than mine and I still have a good range of unis to apply to. :smile:
UCL and Imperial don't use GCSE A*/A grade counts in the shortlist criteria.
BSMS is another good option.

I'd steer clear of Oxford, Kings and Birmingham for certain.
Reply 4
SGUL requires an average of 8 As but some of the As have to be in specific classes. As an international applicant though, I really don't know which ones.
Places to avoid would be Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Cardiff, East Anglia, KCL and Hull York. I'd say avoid Leeds/Leicester too since GCSEs are a significant part of their scoring systems and they were very competitive this year.
I've got a similar GCSE profile to you and I managed 3 interviews and an offer, so all hope is definitely not lost. Just practice well for the UKCAT, write a decent PS and apply smart.
Original post by Normandy114
Places to avoid would be Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Cardiff, East Anglia, KCL and Hull York. I'd say avoid Leeds/Leicester too since GCSEs are a significant part of their scoring systems and they were very competitive this year.
I've got a similar GCSE profile to you and I managed 3 interviews and an offer, so all hope is definitely not lost. Just practice well for the UKCAT, write a decent PS and apply smart.

Hi can I know where you applied?
Original post by XxNattyboyxX
Hi can I know where you applied?

Manchester (offer), Barts and Durham (rejections after interview), and Keele (rejection before interview).
Reply 8
Manchester (offer), Barts and Durham (rejections after interview), and Keele (rejection before interview).

what were your AS UMS and grades/predicted grades, gcses, work exp, ukcat ect? Did they say why you got rejected?
Reply 9
wrong post
Reply 10
Original post by nothepreacher

Leeds is a good shout as they use the better of as or gcse ie 9A* gcse=4 A AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol might be possibility

Cardiff is a no-no!

Hi may I know what you got in the UK CAT and AS please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending