The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Issy123
Look i don't get why you're swearing, i was just explaining the fact that not all Arab men are the same. Calm down.

No I get pissed at idiots who point out the blatantly obvious. No not all Arab men are like this, however I would estimate that the vast majority of Arab men have disgusting views about women because it is so deeply rooted and ingrained in their society
Reply 61
Original post by Brannigan
No I get pissed at idiots who point out the blatantly obvious. No not all Arab men are like this, however I would estimate that the vast majority of Arab men have disgusting views about women because it is so deeply rooted and ingrained in their society

So you're calling me an idiot who points out the blatantly obvious?

And i'm not arguing with what you're saying about some Arab men, however i don't see why there's any need to get so verbally aggressive online to someone , who doesn't control what goes on in Arab countries. :rolleyes:
Reply 62
Original post by laprenti
By hidden I don't mean completely unknown. I mean it's covered up, not spoken of in public forums, ignored, and everyone pretends that their societies are better than western ones where issues are trying to be addressed, and are spoken of.

There are muslim states, states which try govern with Islam as guidance for making and implementing laws. Whether they follow it efficiently/fully or not isn't relevant. We're talking about societies which try to use Islam as guidance, which they were asked to do in order to make a better, more ideal society.

We certainly can blame Islamic teachings. They were written by and for men like the ones involved in this crime (and of course by more moral men, let's not generalize). Certain passages are used to justify immoral acts, and you can try to argue that 'they were not intended to be used that way', but they were, if you do some research into their development and their context. The attitudes and practices propagated by most flavours of Islam lead to increased rates of this sort of behaviour. Why? A few reasons. Because human psychology is not compatible with certain teachings, which leads to certain acts, out of frustration, guilt, anger etc and certain mindsets. The governments set up with Islam in mind are simply terrible at their job, because they are not compatible with the modern world, and plain old hatred and intolerance that you can find in the religious texts, which are bound to be interpreted in a certain way (the way they were supposed to be interpreted) and this leads to not only what you see happening in the middle east, but backwards cultures being sustained and fed to make them more intolerant and backwards, resistent to chance, instead of freeing them and letting them evolve.

Im not going to argue about the whole 'hidden crimes' point, because by the very nature of it being 'hidden', you cannot objectively prove to me that what you are saying is correct.

What I am more interested in, is how you think certain passages from the Qur'aan are used to 'justify immoral acts'? could you provide an example?

It's actually laughable, given that the Qur'aan quite clearly prohibits immorality, and clearly prohibits fornication and adultery. So Im not sure how you would argue that these very same passages could be used to justify rape?

The reasons you have given for the negative behaviours 'propogated by Islam':

1. "human psychology is not compatible with certain teachings" : Totally subjective. Thousands of people all over the world find their psychology compatible with the teachings of Islam. That aside, you cannot even objectively tell me what principles/ways of life can be compatible with the human psychology.

2."The governments set up with Islam in mind are simply terrible at their job": The reason you have given is that the fault lies with the people of the government, that they are terrible at their job. Fail to see how the faults of people relates to the Qur'aan.
Reply 63
Original post by HaHaLOL

What I am more interested in, is how you think certain passages from the Qur'aan are used to 'justify immoral acts'? could you provide an example?

SLAVERY KORAN

ur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee" This is one of several personal-sounding verses "from Allah" narrated by Muhammad - in this case allowing himself a virtually unlimited supply of sex partners. Others are restrained to four wives, but may also have sex with any number of slaves, as the following verse make clear:

Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Qur'an (70:29-30).

Qur'an (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Qur'an (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Qur'an (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..." Breeding slaves based on fitness.

Qur'an (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man's).

Qur'an (16:75) - "Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means:wink: praise be to Allah." Yet another confirmation that the slave is is not equal to the master. In this case it is plain that the slave owes his status to Allah's will. (According to 16:71, the owner should be careful about insulting Allah by bestowing Allah's gifts on slaves - those whom the god of Islam has not favored).

RAPE AGAINST KUFFAR WOMEN

an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee" This is one of several personal-sounding verses "from Allah" narrated by Muhammad - in this case allowing himself a virtually unlimited supply of sex partners. Others are restrained to four wives, but may also have sex with any number of slaves, as the following verse make clear:

Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Qur'an (70:29-30).

Qur'an (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Qur'an (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Qur'an (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..." Breeding slaves based on fitness.

Qur'an (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man's).

Qur'an (16:75) - "Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means:wink: praise be to Allah." Yet another confirmation that the slave is is not equal to the master. In this case it is plain that the slave owes his status to Allah's will. (According to 16:71, the owner should be careful about insulting Allah by bestowing Allah's gifts on slaves - those whom the god of Islam has not favored).

*In before someone dares say "IT'S TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT"
Original post by Electric_Dynamo
Wow! It's shocking things like this happen, some people still think women are pieces of meat. Sickening.

That is true for all rapes.

Bear in mind, Egyptian men and women rushed to the victims aid.
Egypt as a whole must not be judged on this horrific action.
Reply 65
Original post by NuckingFut
That is true for all rapes.

Bear in mind, Egyptian men and women rushed to the victims aid.
Egypt as a whole must not be judged on this horrific action.

Only two Egyptian men, out of thousands that were present and watching this gang rape
The middle east can be truly disgusting at times, every day I'm walking to work and I'll see a woman / teenage girl walk past in shorts and a T-shirt, and there'll be some man sitting on a bench, just staring at her.

The culture of isolating and shielding women from predatory males in Arab society has, unfortunately, created a reason for it's own existence. It's similar to back when women were considered 'undressed' by wearing anything that didn't go below their ankles.. the men are so unfamiliar with being around women who're not dressed like ninjas that they get hard whenever they see any skin at all - hence incidents like the one described in the OP.

And if anyone is thinking of contending what I'm saying, spend a bit of time on gulfnews, you can find at least 3/4 rape/molestation stories a week. For example

edit: I'm not generalizing Arab males as all predators - and if you think that from reading my post then you're either stupid or too wrapped up in your rabid "omg you made a negative comment about people of a non-western ethnicity, dats racist" mantra to understand people properly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Brannigan
Only two Egyptian men, out of thousands that were present and watching this gang rape

There were a group of them. Hardly thousands.
Reply 68
Original post by NuckingFut
There were a group of them. Hardly thousands.

There were thousands in Tahrir square, she was in the middle of Tahrir square being raped and all but two did **** all
Reply 69
Muslims being primitive. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:
Reply 70
Original post by HaHaLOL
Im not going to argue about the whole 'hidden crimes' point, because by the very nature of it being 'hidden', you cannot objectively prove to me that what you are saying is correct.

It's actually laughable, given that the Qur'aan quite clearly prohibits immorality, and clearly prohibits fornication and adultery. So Im not sure how you would argue that these very same passages could be used to justify rape?

The reasons you have given for the negative behaviours 'propogated by Islam':

1. "human psychology is not compatible with certain teachings" : Totally subjective. Thousands of people all over the world find their psychology compatible with the teachings of Islam. That aside, you cannot even objectively tell me what principles/ways of life can be compatible with the human psychology.

2."The governments set up with Islam in mind are simply terrible at their job": The reason you have given is that the fault lies with the people of the government, that they are terrible at their job. Fail to see how the faults of people relates to the Qur'aan.

I gave you my definition of hidden, which certainly allows you to be able to identify it and objectively prove it. I'll explain again, by the word 'hidden', I mean not talked about or widely reported about, you have to talk to/interview the victims, which can and has been done. There are many 'hidden' things that are known about because they're not widely reported in the mainstream, and they are ignored or dismissed by most people in public discourse. But they are accesible. Take, for example, racism against asians in arab countries, or violence against domestic servants in middle eastern countries, or the large number of babies being put into care by young teenage mothers in north africa and the middle east. These are not talked about because they are uncomfortable, and when comparing their societies to those of the west they are ignored and left out of the picture.

I could provide a million examples, but I'd prefer if you'd google it or actually read the quraan, to save us both time. From slavery to sexual behaviour, the Quran's got it covered on the unethical front.

"Qur'aan quite clearly prohibits immorality, and clearly prohibits fornication and adultery." Not entirely.

And I didn't say the Quran was used to justify adultery, but other immoral acts you find in middle eastern countries, which according to some of you have nothing to do with Islamic influence.

"human psychology is not compatible with certain teachings" : Totally subjective.

No, it can be objectively measured.

And people who find their psychology compatible do because they either have other influences in their lives like western society, or they belong to a flavour of Islam which omits certain teachings (I didn't say all teachings, remember?), or they are simply not aware or have been exposed to certain teachings in their faith, which is quite common.

And on the subject of governments, the laws are based on islamic values on teachings, everything from education, marriage, taxes, who can do what job, etc. It's not just incompetent people. The system itself is shoddy because it's based on some half baked 7th century ideologies and ideas. Do you know that the tax rates advocated by Islam were completely improvised in order to fund Islamic wars? That sort of thing. That's why they don't work.
this culture =/= Islam
Reply 72
What does Shariah law say about this?

:rolleyes:

kthnxandgoodbye
Reply 73
I hope justice is served
Reply 74
Original post by getoom
this culture =/= Islam

True

But that culture is very heavily influenced by Islam.
Reply 75
Original post by f1mad
What does Shariah law say about this?

:rolleyes:

kthnxandgoodbye

Well, for one thing if there are any witnesses involved, two women would be equivalent to two men, so that when one of them inevitably forgets or gets confused, the other woman can remind here, since women are obviously inferior to men. This is according to the quran.

And do you know what happens to virgins in prisons? They are raped by the guards, because virgins can't go to hell, and the guards want them to go to hell. Islam doesn't ask for this, but it is certainly the result of islamic/religious teaching.

Also, slave girls/concubines are permitted in Islam, and not only that, it's ok to have sex with them. This is essentially rape, as a captured woman is very unlikely to want to have sex with their master, and nowhere does it state the requirement for her consent. That's the thing with abrahamic religions, the idea of a woman's consent is very unimportant, or a last thought. That's why there are several confusions when interpreting texts on whether they condone rape or not. Simply, rape is a redundant concept for those who who wrote the religious texts.

Shariah is mainly concerned with the prevention, on the woman's part, of rape, as if it's her fault.

1. SHARIA LAW OF STAYING HOME

Woman must stay home to avoid exposure to na-mahrams.

Quran says:

33.33 “Stay quietly in your homes”

.In his tafsir- quran , Maulana Mohiuddin says “It is not only forbidden to get out of the house, but it is also HARAM to go out of her house”.

2. SHARIA LAW OF LEAVING HOME UNDER COMPULSION

If a woman must leave home under absolute compulsion like escaping fire , she must cover herself fully in a chador or burqa and must always be accompanied with an adult mehram ( preferably carrying an open sword)

Quran says:

33.59 (Hilali and Khan) O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way) when leaving home (under compulsion)..

An excellent example to implement this aya and the applicable sharia law was displayed by diligent Saudi religious police . They prevented unveiled (and unaccompanied by mehrams) young women from escaping a burning school building by beating them back with sticks. Most of them died with their honor in tact, thanks to these pious muslims.

3. SHARIA LAW OF RAPE

In case a woman gets raped , she is considered guilty of adultery unless she can provide four adult muslim male witnesses who had watched the action and who would testify that the sex was actually forced on her and that she was not a willing partner in it. If she has only female witnesses in case she was raped by an intruder in front of her fellow wives and slave girls or in a women’s dormitory full of women witnesses then she is out of luck. Her punishment is stoning to death if she is married or hundred (100) lashes if single.

A 19 year old girl was gang raped repeatedly by six momins in Saudi Arabia recently and was given a punishment of 200 lashes and six months prison ( the punishment was increased because it was a gang rape)

4.SHARIA LAW OF SEX WITH CAPTURED WOMEN

Allah has made sex with captured women and slave girls (right hand possessions) halal in quran by five ayas (4.3, 4.24, 23.6,33.50,70.30). Thus when a rape victim is imprisoned awaiting stoning or lashings or any other woman is incarcerated for any other reason she qualifies as a captured woman and sex with her becomes halal . That is Islamic fringe benefits for the prison officials and guards who work long hours at low pay.
Reply 76
Original post by Frube
True

But that culture is very heavily influenced by Islam.

Exactly my point, you can't separate the two.
SHE DID NOT DESERVE TO BE SEXUALLY ASSAULTED, I'M MAKING THAT CLEAR NOW.

But why the hell was she there?, surely she had heard of or read the story of the female reporter(s) that were sexually assaulted and the aggressive treatment of male reporters.

I wouldn't touch that Egypt with a 10 foot pole. I wish her well and I hope she heals.
I don't think your argument is logical.

There are other sources and causes of misogyny, therefore Islamic teachings are not a source of misogyny?...

All of those examples are cases where the culture/religion has led to people having mindsets and attitudes which lead to those acts. The culture could have these negative aspects for different reasons, but in the middle east it's very clear what the pollutant is.

It's very clear in the middle east, the flavour of misogyny there is very centred on Islamic concepts regarding women, and these islamic concepts were written by misogynistic men who lived in a very misogynistic culture in the 7th century.

And not only that, but Islam and other religions have the habit of perpetuating a backwards country, stunting its growth, by suppressing knowledge and keeping people in certain traditional roles.

It is perfectly logical, if you step from the assumption that being Muslim makes men misogynistic. And that being Muslim makes men more likely to rape.

I was pointing out that misogyny occurs everywhere, it is not a Muslim thing. And if Misogyny in non-Muslim countries is caused by other things why can it not be that Misogyny is Muslim countries is also caused by other things? Just because ill-treatment of women occurs in a Muslim country does not mean it was Islam behind it. No more than the ill-treatment of women in India is caused by Hinduism.

As I've said elsewhere you have no evidence that these men were motivated by Islam to assault this woman and view her as worthless. You have no idea how religious they are or how much religion affects their thinking and views on life. You're just assuming that because they are in a Muslim country and have poor views of women therefore the former must have caused the latter.

If Islam caused Misogyny then Misogyny in Muslim countries would have a particular character. Which it does not. The segregation of women and exclusion of them from public life and rape and sexual assault of women happen across the globe. The way women are treated differs between Muslim countries as well, for example acid throwing is a problem in Pakistan but is virtually unheard of in Indonesia. Misogyny existed in now Muslim countries long before Islam and would continue if Islam disappeared tomorrow, because it is embedded in their society and culture but not their religion.

Religion is not a cause of misogyny, rather it can be used as an excuse for it. I freely admit that there are many things in Islam that restrict women and prevent them from doing many things but nowhere does it condone raping and assaulting them. To say that it does is an insult to the many Muslims who manage to practice their faith without assaulting female journalists in the street.
Reply 79
Well, for one thing if there are any witnesses involved, two women would be equivalent to two men, so that when one of them inevitably forgets or gets confused, the other woman can remind here, since women are obviously inferior to men. This is according to the quran.

And do you know what happens to virgins in prisons? They are raped by the guards, because virgins can't go to hell, and the guards want them to go to hell. Islam doesn't ask for this, but it is certainly the result of islamic/religious teaching.

Also, slave girls/concubines are permitted in Islam, and not only that, it's ok to have sex with them. This is essentially rape, as a captured woman is very unlikely to want to have sex with their master, and nowhere does it state the requirement for her consent. That's the thing with abrahamic religions, the idea of a woman's consent is very unimportant, or a last thought. That's why there are several confusions when interpreting texts on whether they condone rape or not. Simply, rape is a redundant concept for those who who wrote the religious texts.

Shariah is mainly concerned with the prevention, on the woman's part, of rape, as if it's her fault.

1. SHARIA LAW OF STAYING HOME

Woman must stay home to avoid exposure to na-mahrams.

Quran says:

33.33 “Stay quietly in your homes”

.In his tafsir- quran , Maulana Mohiuddin says “It is not only forbidden to get out of the house, but it is also HARAM to go out of her house”.

Quran 33:32: O wives of the Prophet, you are not like anyone among women. If you fear Allah , then do not be soft in speech [to men], lest he in whose heart is disease should covet, but speak with appropriate speech.
Quran 33:33: And abide in your houses and do not display yourselves as [was] the display of the former times of ignorance. And establish prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah intends only to remove from you the impurity [of sin], O people of the [Prophet's] household, and to purify you with [extensive] purification.

Refering to the Prophets wives.

2. SHARIA LAW OF LEAVING HOME UNDER COMPULSION

If a woman must leave home under absolute compulsion like escaping fire , she must cover herself fully in a chador or burqa and must always be accompanied with an adult mehram ( preferably carrying an open sword)

Quran says:

33.59 (Hilali and Khan) O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way) when leaving home (under compulsion)..

An excellent example to implement this aya and the applicable sharia law was displayed by diligent Saudi religious police . They prevented unveiled (and unaccompanied by mehrams) young women from escaping a burning school building by beating them back with sticks. Most of them died with their honor in tact, thanks to these pious muslims.

Quran 33:59: O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Doesn't say veil at all, it says about them to dress modestly at all times, nothing about being forced to wear it when going outside.

3. SHARIA LAW OF RAPE

In case a woman gets raped , she is considered guilty of adultery unless she can provide four adult muslim male witnesses who had watched the action and who would testify that the sex was actually forced on her and that she was not a willing partner in it. If she has only female witnesses in case she was raped by an intruder in front of her fellow wives and slave girls or in a women’s dormitory full of women witnesses then she is out of luck. Her punishment is stoning to death if she is married or hundred (100) lashes if single.

A 19 year old girl was gang raped repeatedly by six momins in Saudi Arabia recently and was given a punishment of 200 lashes and six months prison ( the punishment was increased because it was a gang rape)

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/72338
"The punishment for rape in Islam is same as the punishment for zina, which is stoning if the perpetrator is married, and one hundred lashes and banishment for one year if he is not married.

Some scholars also say that he is required to pay a mahr to the woman."

Punishment is quite clear

4.SHARIA LAW OF SEX WITH CAPTURED WOMEN

Allah has made sex with captured women and slave girls (right hand possessions) halal in quran by five ayas (4.3, 4.24, 23.6,33.50,70.30). Thus when a rape victim is imprisoned awaiting stoning or lashings or any other woman is incarcerated for any other reason she qualifies as a captured woman and sex with her becomes halal . That is Islamic fringe benefits for the prison officials and guards who work long hours at low pay.

looooooooooooooooooool please tell me a scholar who states such
4:3: "And if you fear that you will not deal justly with the orphan girls, then marry those that please you of [other] women, two or three or four. But if you fear that you will not be just, then [marry only] one or those your right hand possesses. That is more suitable that you may not incline [to injustice]."(Talks and marriage and conditions for more than 1 wife)
4.24:"Prohibited to you [for marriage] are your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father's sisters, your mother's sisters, your brother's daughters, your sister's daughters, your [milk] mothers who nursed you, your sisters through nursing, your wives' mothers, and your step-daughters under your guardianship [born] of your wives unto whom you have gone in. But if you have not gone in unto them, there is no sin upon you. And [also prohibited are] the wives of your sons who are from your [own] loins, and that you take [in marriage] two sisters simultaneously, except for what has already occurred. Indeed, Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful." (States who is a mahram and whos not and permissibility of marriage)
23.6:"Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed -"(From the previous verse about guarding your private parts, as your wives are the only who can see such and so on)
33.50:"O Prophet, indeed We have made lawful to you your wives to whom you have given their due compensation and those your right hand possesses from what Allah has returned to you [of captives] and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who emigrated with you and a believing woman if she gives herself to the Prophet [and] if the Prophet wishes to marry her, [this is] only for you, excluding the [other] believers. We certainly know what We have made obligatory upon them concerning their wives and those their right hands possess, [but this is for you] in order that there will be upon you no discomfort. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful."(Marriage rules and conditions)
70.30:s-smilie:ame as 23.6

Well done for copying and pasting :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending