Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

4 A Levels

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much harder is it to take 4 A2s compared to 3?
    I would take biology, maths, psychology and english. I also took 5 ASs so I know what it's like to have a lot of work/exams and not a lot of frees. My predicted grades are also above what I need to get into the universities I want to go to, so I'm not sure it will matter so much even if my grades were compromised.
    Actual experiences would be useful, not just people telling me it's not worth it because I'm not taking them to make my uni application better.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 A-levels and although at times I found things really difficult, all I would say to you is work really hard and put in the effort and you will succeed. It all depends on your work ethic- it definitely is possible!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing it because you enjoy the subjects then go for it, if it's for academics though, don't bother.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completly agree with the previous comment, also psychology english and biology I found to all overlap and it was preety useful doing them so I would say go for it, also you would have too many free periods if you just did three
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    How much harder is it to take 4 A2s compared to 3?
    I would take biology, maths, psychology and english. I also took 5 ASs so I know what it's like to have a lot of work/exams and not a lot of frees. My predicted grades are also above what I need to get into the universities I want to go to, so I'm not sure it will matter so much even if my grades were compromised.
    Actual experiences would be useful, not just people telling me it's not worth it because I'm not taking them to make my uni application better.
    If your willing to do it then do, I mean an extra qualification can't be bad can it? I found four A-levels not too impossible but then again my subjects were much more closely related (math, further math, chem and physics). It won't be easy though and is significantly harder than 5 AS in terms of workload especially for biology (according to people I know who took it - edexcel anyway). The step up in the difficulty of maths is at least as large as the step up from GCSE to AS. Also I have found it really handy to have a backup subject if I screw up one of them so i can still make my offer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 and to be perfectly honest I feel a bit like I wasted what could have been useful revision time for my other subjects on my fourth subject. 4 subjects at A2 is a lot of work and I did end up putting one subject to the back to focus on my other 3 once I realised I was going to get better grades in the others (mainly due to the fact I liked them more.) However, if you've got the work ethic and you do enjoy all of them then I'd say it is possible. My sister did it and got straight As (no A*s back then), but I'm fairly sure it nearly cost her her sanity!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm doing all 4 basically because I love them too much to drop them (except for maybe maths, but I need that for the courses I want to do). I'm thinking also that I did further maths as an AS, I don't know how much cross over there will be, but will it help me with maths at A2?
    Thanks for your help, I'm just stressing out because all my friends are telling me it's not worth it/it will be too hard.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.