Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduated with a shoddy job...jeakous

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd kill for a full time job never mind 28k!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    £28k in Manchester is probably worth more than £40k in London. Cost of living etc. Get over yourself.
    Agreed.

Was OP really expecting the same exact wage? He/she must be really deluded.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Show me a graduate who earns £28k and I'll show you a green dog.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want the job I'll have it
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously a post designed to cause a kerfuffle. Don't feed it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I've graduated and I don't have a job yet, I live in a tourist town where there is nothing for graduates anyways. To get back to London and have the possibility of finding a decent graduate level job, I'm going to have to work **** jobs down here for the next 3/4 months to save up enough cash to do so, which is going to be boring as **** and there's no guarantee I'll find anything great in London either.

So man up already, you have it good.
    Not true - what makes you think that? Apply online, then ask to be compensated for travel costs when it comes to interviews. Are you thinking you'll need to move to London before finding a job there?

OP is ridic. £28k outside London is an amazing starting salary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Not true - what makes you think that? Apply online, then ask to be compensated for travel costs when it comes to interviews. Are you thinking you'll need to move to London before finding a job there?

OP is ridic. £28k outside London is an amazing starting salary.
    No I'm thinking it'd be silly to successfully get a job in London, only to be unable to afford to move up there/not have a place to live there. Plus I live five hours away, it'd be pretty hard to regularly interview for jobs when I'm having to do ten hour round journeys.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I'm thinking it'd be silly to successfully get a job in London, only to be unable to afford to move up there/not have a place to live there. Plus I live five hours away, it'd be pretty hard to regularly interview for jobs when I'm having to do ten hour round journeys.
    i live in london and graduated from a good uni in 2010 and i've still not been able to get a grad job. If anything getting a job here is harder because of the competition and so many people from outside london competing for the few jobs that are around! Think twice before moving here without a proper job sorted else you might end up in a situation whereby you work in a dead end job on minimum wage eeking out subsistence living just earning to pay bills and nothing else. Is that really worth moving to london for?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who needs a job anyway?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    i live in london and graduated from a good uni in 2010 and i've still not been able to get a grad job. If anything getting a job here is harder because of the competition and so many people from outside london competing for the few jobs that are around! Think twice before moving here without a proper job sorted else you might end up in a situation whereby you work in a dead end job on minimum wage eeking out subsistence living just earning to pay bills and nothing else. Is that really worth moving to london for?

Yeah I'm aware of that, that's why I won't move up there until I have a decent financial padding. I've lived in London for the last 3 years so I know the city well enough and it can't be any worse than where I currently live. At least there are opportunities there, theres absolutely none down here.

You seem to be doing alright if you have an iPhone/iPad though
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi All,

I'm feeling depressed with regards to post-graduation. I achieved 4As at A-level in Econ, Maths, F.Maths and History. Then I went on to read Economics at University of Manchester and had completed internships and had prior experience.

However I have not managed to find myself a graduate job, I seemed to always mess up in the assessment centre or final interview. I have found a job in Manchester for a private bank as a trainee on about £28k. Though I have friends who have gained jobsi in investment banks and firms in London on £38-45k + bonus.

It just makes me feel really depressed and jealous!!

Advice?
    Firstly, remember that while you may be paid more in London, living costs are much higher - I am paying £260/month including bills for a house share next year; I have a friend in London who is paying £520/month not including bills also for a house share. So while you may be paid less, you will spend less on living costs as well, and so will have a similar disposable income. Get a year or two of experience, and then you can work your way up, and get a London job easier than as a 'raw' graduate as such if that is where you want to work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People, they posted anonymous. Just trolling (and acting like 95% of the IB thread respondents do when NOT trolling.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, £28k in manchester is about the same as £40k in London after you adjust for living costs. If your rent is £500/month more expensive in London for a similar quality flat (which is about right if youre living in a studio/1-bed) then you would need an extra £10k/year gross just for your accomodation costs, and thats before you start adding in increased travel costs and so on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the OP has haters.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm aware of that, that's why I won't move up there until I have a decent financial padding. I've lived in London for the last 3 years so I know the city well enough and it can't be any worse than where I currently live. At least there are opportunities there, theres absolutely none down here.

You seem to be doing alright if you have an iPhone/iPad though
    actually it's an ipod touch! :P...and i still live with my parents and i'm 25, so not that well :eek: Good idea on the financial padding. Can't suggest a good figure, but the more you have saved the better! good luck!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're a complete tool.

I'm one of the luckier ones who managed to find an ok job (although not in my chosen field) but there are graduates with great classifications, work experience and enthusiasm for their field and yet they have to work in Tesco, or call centres on crap pay.

I wouldn't hire you on a rate of 28 pence a year let alone 28K with your attitude.

I must stop feeding trolls.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRL)
    Who needs a job anyway?
    We meet again

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 28, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.