The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Lincoln uni! People starting 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamwow
I done them pretty early but changed my mind about a month ago and edited the choices, not sure if its early enough .

well they assign it on how early you handed in the form, theres plenty of space in courts so as long its in pretty early you should get it - i was in courts this year =)
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Unununium
well they assign it on how early you handed in the form, theres plenty of space in courts so as long its in pretty early you should get it - i was in courts this year =)

Cool, how was it ? I heard that its a pretty good environment to meet new people.
Original post by shamwow
Cool, how was it ? I heard that its a pretty good environment to meet new people.

It is a good environment yes, unfortunately i didnt get the best flatmates, it started off well but there was a big fall out, and i made many a complaint against one of them who continually played music so loud at 5am once a week even through exam period, I rang security on him and they just laughed at me so i was pissed off about that! but i met some good people in other buildings so it is a good environment! Loud at night and lots of doors slamming but not much of a problem =) by the end of the year i couldnt wait to leave though :L Its expensivefor what it is! £110 a week for an ensuite bedroom, the ensuite which is a wetroom and is all year infested with silverfish, i had to leave the bathroom light on all the time and keep bleaching the floor but they always came back the buggers! :L
Reply 63
It is a good environment yes, unfortunately i didnt get the best flatmates, it started off well but there was a big fall out, and i made many a complaint against one of them who continually played music so loud at 5am once a week even through exam period, I rang security on him and they just laughed at me so i was pissed off about that! but i met some good people in other buildings so it is a good environment! Loud at night and lots of doors slamming but not much of a problem =) by the end of the year i couldnt wait to leave though :L Its expensivefor what it is! £110 a week for an ensuite bedroom, the ensuite which is a wetroom and is all year infested with silverfish, i had to leave the bathroom light on all the time and keep bleaching the floor but they always came back the buggers! :L

Damn sounds like you had some bad luck there, couldn't they fumigate or something to get rid of the silverfish ? I would hate it to live with those things.

What is the situation with flatmates, i.e. how many do you get ?
Reply 64
Original post by shamwow
Damn sounds like you had some bad luck there, couldn't they fumigate or something to get rid of the silverfish ? I would hate it to live with those things.

I stayed in Courts this year as well. Regarding flatmates it depends which court your assigned to. They vary from 5 people in a flat to I think the most was 10, but not to positive about that! I know I had 4 others in mine and it was alright, but the flats are so much smaller. It was kind of ridiculous. Positives though are that you meet so many people and its easy to make friends. As they said above it is loud at night with doors banging a lot but you get used to it. I didn't really have a problem with silverfish but they came about once or twice I think, they are easy to get rid of. Just bleach them all and they soon go away.

I'd say definitely go for Courts as a fresher as its the most social. Easy to make friends and have a good laugh!
Reply 65
Original post by marktonge
I stayed in Courts this year as well. Regarding flatmates it depends which court your assigned to. They vary from 5 people in a flat to I think the most was 10, but not to positive about that! I know I had 4 others in mine and it was alright, but the flats are so much smaller. It was kind of ridiculous. Positives though are that you meet so many people and its easy to make friends. As they said above it is loud at night with doors banging a lot but you get used to it. I didn't really have a problem with silverfish but they came about once or twice I think, they are easy to get rid of. Just bleach them all and they soon go away.

I'd say definitely go for Courts as a fresher as its the most social. Easy to make friends and have a good laugh!

Cool, sounds like a nice sociable environment, I doubt the noise will bother me too much since i stay in a noisy house anyway.

How did you find the flatmates in your block ? And how was the flat in general ?
Reply 66
Original post by shamwow
Cool, sounds like a nice sociable environment, I doubt the noise will bother me too much since i stay in a noisy house anyway.

How did you find the flatmates in your block ? And how was the flat in general ?

I got on with my flat mates pretty well, if you meant it in that way, if you meant it in the way of how did I find out who they are, then there is a Flatmate Finder out a website somewhere, or there is a Facebook page set up by the UoL and you can post on there to find out who your with once you know which court and flat your in yourself.

The flat in general was very basic but you don't need anything flashy, in the room it had; a single bed, a desk, wardrobe, cupboards, 2 chairs (1 desk, 1 comfy) a noticeboard, and an en suite bathroom. Then in the living area there was; a kitchen with; a cooker, a fridge, a freezer, a microwave, a kettle, cupboards. In the living area there was; a table, chairs, ironing board, iron, hoover, mop and a big notice board :smile:

hope this helps.
Original post by shamwow

anywhere between 4 and 8, there were 5 in my flat and within a week one had moved out cuz we so didnt get on.... :L of course flat size then affects the size of the kitchen/living area you get - how many fridges/cookers etc. there are no sofas only 'doctors waiting room chairs' as we referred to them but its managable it can be a decent social area if the flat comes together and use it, my friends flat had a flat screen telly and 3 games consoles in his living area.

As for the silverfish, you just learn to live with the buggers :L Like i said i bleached the floor every weekend and kept the light on all the time, that tended to keep them away - accommodation services dont give a toss cuz its common throughout the student village, part of the living i guess! :L
Reply 68
Original post by marktonge
I got on with my flat mates pretty well, if you meant it in that way, if you meant it in the way of how did I find out who they are, then there is a Flatmate Finder out a website somewhere, or there is a Facebook page set up by the UoL and you can post on there to find out who your with once you know which court and flat your in yourself.

The flat in general was very basic but you don't need anything flashy, in the room it had; a single bed, a desk, wardrobe, cupboards, 2 chairs (1 desk, 1 comfy) a noticeboard, and an en suite bathroom. Then in the living area there was; a kitchen with; a cooker, a fridge, a freezer, a microwave, a kettle, cupboards. In the living area there was; a table, chairs, ironing board, iron, hoover, mop and a big notice board :smile:

hope this helps.

Thanks, this is useful info I'll keep in mind when I arrive. Unfortunately still a long wait until September but really looking forward to it :smile:

anywhere between 4 and 8, there were 5 in my flat and within a week one had moved out cuz we so didnt get on.... :L of course flat size then affects the size of the kitchen/living area you get - how many fridges/cookers etc. there are no sofas only 'doctors waiting room chairs' as we referred to them but its managable it can be a decent social area if the flat comes together and use it, my friends flat had a flat screen telly and 3 games consoles in his living area.

As for the silverfish, you just learn to live with the buggers :L Like i said i bleached the floor every weekend and kept the light on all the time, that tended to keep them away - accommodation services dont give a toss cuz its common throughout the student village, part of the living i guess! :L

The setup sounds good, seems to allow for a decent social environment. Did your friends flat come with the tele or was it their own one ?

I suppose if everyone has to deal with the bugs so can I, cant all be completely ideal.
Reply 69
1st year studying Business and Management, hopefully end up in halls, can't wait! woooo
Reply 70
Hello :smile:

Shall be pursuing MSc Forensic Psychology commencing this Sep. Anybody joining the same course?

I'd also like to know which would be a better route to reach Lincoln - from London or Manchester?

Thanx in advance :smile:
Original post by shamwow

The setup sounds good, seems to allow for a decent social environment. Did your friends flat come with the tele or was it their own one ?

I suppose if everyone has to deal with the bugs so can I, cant all be completely ideal.

Naa you bring your own telly if you want one and each room needs a tv license if you want to watch anything, i didnt bother i used bbc iplayer, skygo and 4OD all year which was no problem at all and doesnt need a license cuz it wasnt live tv i was watching!

I would also recommend taking a yellow ethernet cable, the wired internet is like 20 times faster than the wireless!

As for the silverfish, yeah you learn to live with it, its just part of the experience! =)

Any other questions?
Reply 72
Naa you bring your own telly if you want one and each room needs a tv license if you want to watch anything, i didnt bother i used bbc iplayer, skygo and 4OD all year which was no problem at all and doesnt need a license cuz it wasnt live tv i was watching!

I would also recommend taking a yellow ethernet cable, the wired internet is like 20 times faster than the wireless!

As for the silverfish, yeah you learn to live with it, its just part of the experience! =)

Any other questions?

Sounds good, I will probably only use the tele for playstation/Netflix/iplayer so no need for a license.
Reply 73
Which is the most popular phone sim card with 3G to go in for with free incoming?
Original post by shamwow
Sounds good, I will probably only use the tele for playstation/Netflix/iplayer so no need for a license.

yeah thats fine, they say they'll come check but we never had a room search or anything, you HAVE to declare online on the TV license website that you do not need a license though - you MUST do that otherwise you get very angry red letters saying they'll come search if they dont hear from you, it takes a couple of minutes online and then you get a happy green letter saying its all good :L
Reply 75
yeah thats fine, they say they'll come check but we never had a room search or anything, you HAVE to declare online on the TV license website that you do not need a license though - you MUST do that otherwise you get very angry red letters saying they'll come search if they dont hear from you, it takes a couple of minutes online and then you get a happy green letter saying its all good :L

Sounds simple enough, I guess it wouldnt hurt to do it.
Original post by shamwow
Sounds simple enough, I guess it wouldnt hurt to do it.

yeah =) no-one actually reminds you to do it so i didnt know till i got an angry letter :L its best to do it just to stay out of any trouble - they never came to check once i declared i didnt need one =)
Got my Unconditional Offer for sports development and coaching, and hopefully staying on campus :smile: anyone else doing the same course? and whats everyone else doing?
Wow didnt think this discussion would get so many people in it when i made it haha! Nice to hear about everyone!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 79
guys and girls, in "Term Dates" there is some activity called "Marking and Moderation" -> what is it exactly? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest