Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finding it difficult to rent a place

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been unemployed for half a year now after uni, and being out in the sticks I feel is the biggest factor in not being able to find (or get to) a job. So I want to move out of my parents, closer to/in the city so I'm right in the heart of it. But so far, I've been rejected either during the letting agent vetting process or after they contacted the landlord who refused to take on an umemployed tenant.

Note that I am NOT on housing benefits, or any benefits of any kind... I have substantial savings, certainly enough to pay off the full amount of the short term let ... I have told this to them, but they never accept. I also have previous landlord references whilst at uni, who I have all paid on time (sometimes in advance) with no fuss. Ad of course my parents - homeowners - can be my guarantor. But their policy of no DSS (when really they mean no unemployed) is completely non flexible.

How do I get out of this rut?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem is short term rental. Many landlords do not take less than 12 months. When I was a student. the landlord asked for the full 9 months rental in advance + 2 months deposit. It was harsh but we have no choice as we didn't want to go for 1 year rental.

Have you ever considered renting just a room.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about moving in as a lodger with someone? There are always adverts on gumtree, and you may find that individuals are more relaxed about it.

As you say you have significant savings, could you pay a certain number of month's rent upfront?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. I've offered to pay the full 6 months. Still get rejected. As for living with others, to be honest I've had my fair share in uni. I just want to live independently, on my own and knuckle down with work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You offered to pay the entire lease upfront and still got rejected?
    That's stupid.
    This is just speculation, but I think many lettings agent are actually part of the same parent company (i.e. Countrywide Residential) which means they might have standardized policies. The local lettings agents might not be able to deviate from the procedure outlined by their head office legal department. This could include the 'affordability calculations', which your situation falls foul of, despite common sense. It's therefore proving hard to get any different answers from anyone, because they're obliged to give the same answer.

I know you've been knocked back by landlords in the past, but maybe try the private adverts on Gumtree. They're gonna be a lot less professional, but 6 months rent in advance could be attractive to some of them. The problem with the private route is that this tends to be where the rogue landlords who are ignorant or arrogant about the law prey on the weak.

Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 6 months lease is long enough for many landlord. Try to offer 12 month, most of them will say yes. It might help if you ask your parents to be guarantor.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.