The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Which are the best halls at MMU Manchester? The accommodation questions megathread

Scroll to see replies

I am also in a similar situation of not knowing which accomodation to choose. I've posted the same thing in several threads, so I may as well post again; I've been looking at Oxford Court, Briarfields and Daisy Bank. But it seems from this thread, Cambridge is good as well. To be fair they all look decent, I'm still a little aprehensive (shall we say) though!
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 41
Original post by Beatlemania
I am looking at Briarfield, Oxford Court, or Daisy Bank. And everywhere I look, these names keep cropping up so I suppose they are decent?

Yeah same it is just picking between the three of them :s-smilie: Daisy Bank is a bit further away from Briarsfield and Oxford Court which are right in the city centre xx
Just had a look at the website again. I'm studying at the All Saints Campus, and according to the map taken from the MMU website, the closest halls are Cambridge and Cavendish, so I guess I'll probably apply for one of them.

Bit confuzed to tell you the truth lol - Don't want to pick the wrong accomodation obviously.
Reply 43
Hellloo, I've just made Manc Met my first choice and as i'm hoping to study a BSc, i'll be based on all saints campus.
I've had a look on the accommodation website and quite fancy briarfield court or victoria halls, however i've heard these aren't very good 'party wise'. need some help!! also, anyone know which halls are nearest to the city centre?!?!?
Original post by littlepotatoe
An ensuite is just the most ridiculous thing ever, you have your own sink in your room anyway. t

sounds like somebody pisses in the sink :wink:
Reply 45
Hey i'm studying psychology and my lectures are all in elizabeth gaskell but i think i'm going to go with oxford court as it is only a mile from my lectures and its in the centre and briarsfield looks really old haha
I've just accepted my conditional for MMU 2012 studying psychology.
Hoping to live at Daisy Bank, anyone else thinking of living there? :biggrin:

Excited is an understatement...
Hi,
Im studying Speech Therapy at MMU in September and Daisy Bank is near the Elizabeth Caskell campus Im thinking of living here...... I haven't been to an open day though, so don't know how far away it is from the centre, also my friends have told me not go go for it because i'll be bored! Don't know what to do.....
Reply 48
yeah i looked at Oxford court as well. and they look good as well, especially as it's in the centre of the city or whatever! im from newcastle and im less than a mile from city centre! gonna be so weird being in Manc!
Daisy Bank is another hall I am considering. I am just anxious about how far away it actually if from the campus, in fact, I know it isn't close to the campus I'll be going to, but, I haven't been to an open day so ??

Still need to do in depth research before choosing, but at least we've got until April...
Original post by Bundx
Hellloo, I've just made Manc Met my first choice and as i'm hoping to study a BSc, i'll be based on all saints campus.
I've had a look on the accommodation website and quite fancy briarfield court or victoria halls, however i've heard these aren't very good 'party wise'. need some help!! also, anyone know which halls are nearest to the city centre?!?!?

Hi,

Manchester Met is my firm, I'll be studying web development which is the All Saints Campus, same as you.

It says on the websire that the really closest halls are Cavendish and Cambridge. Now, I haven't actually been to look, so I'm just going on what the website says. Also, according to what I've read, Cambridge sounds fairly sociable, because I want to be with people who want to go out and all that.
Original post by annabel_holgate
Hi,
Im studying Speech Therapy at MMU in September and Daisy Bank is near the Elizabeth Caskell campus Im thinking of living here...... I haven't been to an open day though, so don't know how far away it is from the centre, also my friends have told me not go go for it because i'll be bored! Don't know what to do.....

I havent been to one either but I've done loads of research on itt and theres loads of buses to the city centre. It's like an half an hour walk but theres loads of food shops and takeaways nearby. :smile: You won't be bored if there's the right people around :wink:
Original post by Beatlemania
Daisy Bank is another hall I am considering. I am just anxious about how far away it actually if from the campus, in fact, I know it isn't close to the campus I'll be going to, but, I haven't been to an open day so ??

Still need to do in depth research before choosing, but at least we've got until April...

use google maps :smile: so helpful when finding out distance from campus/halls and halls/nightclubs :wink: but yeah im pretty set on here. :smile:
Reply 53
Hello everyone. New to the forums..:smile:

I am starting the dental technology course in MMU in September 2012.
I would like to know some things about the accomodation halls. My questions may be stupid, but I live outside UK, in Greece and I don't know or understand some important things.

I was thinking about choosing en-suite room, but I don't think it would be a problem if it is a standard one. What do you think?

I was looking at MMU's accomodation site for halls near the All Saints Campus and I noticed that almost all Halls are marked as Self-Catering. What exactly does it mean?

Which one of the Halls near All Saints would you recommend?
The photos of the accomodation site are pretty much the same, so if you have any I would like to see how the things really are..

Thanks for your help,
Apostolis
Reply 54
Self catering basically means you've got a fridge freezer and cupboards and you stock it up to your hearts content, you buy food with your own money and you cook for yourself. Opposite to self catering would be where staff cook for you and I presume you'd eat in a big dinig area with everyone else in the halls.

Self catering is the most common for halls as its part of the whole independence experience but some people do choose halls with kitchen staff
Reply 55
Original post by annabel_holgate
Hi,

I just firmed mmu for psychology and speech therapy! I really can't decide where to stay, I thought Daisy Bank was really nice and it's about half hour walk from the city, but then I don't know if i would rather stay at the All Saints site in the city! I think the halls is what we make of it so will have fun where ever we stay :smile: x
Reply 56
I'm doing Psychology and speech therapy, and really can't decide between Daisy Bank or one in the centre! but soooo excited for September!
I used to live there, it was so boring and I moved out. It's a 10 minute walk to the bus stop if you want to go on a Magic Bus which is a pain in the arse when it's really cold.

But yeah some people like it... I didn't.
Daisy Bank is awesome, I lived there in my second year.

A bit of a walk to Oxford Road though.
Reply 59
Thanks for the answer, I'll keep it in mind.

Anyone got a recommendation about the halls near all saints campus? Which one is better? Should I choose en-suite bathroom or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending