The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennieanydot

Just to let you all know, I lived in York for around 6 years from the age of 19 so if you have any questions about what life is like there I am happy to help.
Jen

What is life like there? :wink:
Also, is there a cinema as I couldn't find one last time I went x
University of York
York
Original post by Ellie_May :)
What is life like there? :wink:
Also, is there a cinema as I couldn't find one last time I went x

There is a brilliant Cinema in the centre of town called City Screen which plays all the usual stuff but also plays independent films, has a lovely bar and gigs etc. on downstairs: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/York_Picturehouse/
There's also a VUE (I think) cinema at Clifton Moor which isn't too far out of York, but you'd have to get the bus.

As for life there, it's a really lovely city and everything is in walking distance which I really liked and miss now I'm in Manchester (although I think it's a bit of a walk from the uni into town, maybe half an hour, but there are lots of buses). As you may have read already, it is not great for clubs. There are one or two big ones that I never went in (The Gallery and Tru) because they weren't my kind of thing, and then The Duchess and Fibbers which are much smaller but play a more interesting range of music (kind of - it's worth a Google to get an idea). If you like 'old man' type traditional pubs it's absolutely brilliant, and also has places like Vodka Revs if that's your thing. There are nice independent shops, as well as the usual places like Topshop and Newlook.

After 6 years there, my boyfriend and I wanted a change because it can get a bit small. You'll find that you see the same faces again and again, and your nights out won't vary much! I don't think that'd be a problem for 3 years though and it's still big enough to find some variety. Oh and tourists are another downside, it's always really busy on a weekend!

So to conclude! If you want a huge city where you can get lost, go to a different club every night of the week etc. then York probably wouldn't suit. But if you're looking for somewhere friendly and fun, with a bit of history, that isn't too intimidating but that isn't like living in a tiny town it's definitely worth looking at.

I hope that helps a bit - if you have any questions just let me know. On a more sensible note, I know quite a few people who went to York uni and they are all highly intelligent, interesting people who are doing well for themselves. I think it gives you a really good start in whatever you want to do :smile:
Original post by jennieanydot
There is a brilliant Cinema in the centre of town called City Screen which plays all the usual stuff but also plays independent films, has a lovely bar and gigs etc. on downstairs: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/York_Picturehouse/
There's also a VUE (I think) cinema at Clifton Moor which isn't too far out of York, but you'd have to get the bus.

As for life there, it's a really lovely city and everything is in walking distance which I really liked and miss now I'm in Manchester (although I think it's a bit of a walk from the uni into town, maybe half an hour, but there are lots of buses). As you may have read already, it is not great for clubs. There are one or two big ones that I never went in (The Gallery and Tru) because they weren't my kind of thing, and then The Duchess and Fibbers which are much smaller but play a more interesting range of music (kind of - it's worth a Google to get an idea). If you like 'old man' type traditional pubs it's absolutely brilliant, and also has places like Vodka Revs if that's your thing. There are nice independent shops, as well as the usual places like Topshop and Newlook.

After 6 years there, my boyfriend and I wanted a change because it can get a bit small. You'll find that you see the same faces again and again, and your nights out won't vary much! I don't think that'd be a problem for 3 years though and it's still big enough to find some variety. Oh and tourists are another downside, it's always really busy on a weekend!

So to conclude! If you want a huge city where you can get lost, go to a different club every night of the week etc. then York probably wouldn't suit. But if you're looking for somewhere friendly and fun, with a bit of history, that isn't too intimidating but that isn't like living in a tiny town it's definitely worth looking at.

I hope that helps a bit - if you have any questions just let me know. On a more sensible note, I know quite a few people who went to York uni and they are all highly intelligent, interesting people who are doing well for themselves. I think it gives you a really good start in whatever you want to do :smile:

That's brilliant! Thank-you very much :smile: xx
Had my York offer yesterday, English and Related Lit!!

Anyone else applying or has had an offer? :biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by matthewoingram

I got my offer from York today!! :biggrin:
Me too! It's made my day :biggrin:
Original post by kimiechi
i got my offer from york today!! :d

wooooooooooooooo!!!!

York english buddiess!!!!!!!
Reply 87

Original post by Kimiechi
I got my offer from York today!! :biggrin:

I'm applying for English Lit too - where else have you two applied? :biggrin:
Original post by Sarr
I'm applying for English Lit too - where else have you two applied? :biggrin:

Applied to Oxford, York, Warwick, Cardiff and UEA, what about you? :biggrin:
Original post by Muppetmad
Me too! It's made my day :biggrin:

What have you applied to study? :biggrin:
Reply 90
Applied to Oxford, York, Warwick, Cardiff and UEA, what about you? :biggrin:

Cambridge, Durham, York, Leeds and Sheffield!
So nervous now though seeing people getting offers for English..

Good luck with Oxford though - where abouts is York in your top 5? :smile:
What have you applied to study? :biggrin:

History :smile:
I'm a first year Chemistry student at York from South Wales. I'm currently living in Derwent College (D BLOCK! :biggrin:). Any questions you have, throw 'em at me! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sarr
Cambridge, Durham, York, Leeds and Sheffield!
So nervous now though seeing people getting offers for English..

Good luck with Oxford though - where abouts is York in your top 5? :smile:

Cheers, good luck with Cambridge! :smile: York is taking my 1/2 spot at the moment, so I was pretty chuffed to have an offer so soon! Where abouts is it in yours? :biggrin:
Reply 94
Cheers, good luck with Cambridge! :smile: York is taking my 1/2 spot at the moment, so I was pretty chuffed to have an offer so soon! Where abouts is it in yours? :biggrin:

Probably third.. If I get an offer from Cambridge it'll be my insurance, if I don't but get an offer from Durham it'll be my insurance, if I miss out on both it'll be my top :P
Hey everyone, just wondering how long it's taken York to get back to you with your offers? I'm being mega impatient, can't stand this waiting! Congratulations as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Username: Rebecca245
Course: Environmental Geography
Accommodation: Not sure yet
GCSEs: 9A*s and 5.5As
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Geography, Biology, Maths
AS Grades: ABBBC
A Level or Equivalent Predictions:AAA or AAB
Subject: Politics & Philosophy
GCSE: 3A* 6A 2B
AS Level: Politics A [199/200], Law A [173/200], Religious Studies A [167/200], History B, General Studies B
A2 Level Predictions: Politics A*, Law A*, Religious Studies A*, EPQ A, General Studies B
Extras: Advisor at Vinspired [The National Young Volunteers Service] | Advisor at Rethink Mental Illness | Youth Public Services Inspector at Central Bedfordshire Council | Political Writer at Catch 21 Productions | Training Associate at National Children's Bureau | Youth Member of Parliament | Editor of schools political newsletter | Coordinator of a childrens summer camp | Technician at local church | On organising committee for local fireworks display | Technician at local community cinema | Volunteer at a local youth club | Doing an EPQ in the Titanic | Taking part in a national mock trial law competition | Write a blog | Form mentor to year 9's | Work at Waitrose
Reply 98
Original post by Rebecca245
Username: Rebecca245
Course: Environmental Geography
Accommodation: Not sure yet
GCSEs: 9A*s and 5.5As
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Geography, Biology, Maths
AS Grades: ABBBC
A Level or Equivalent Predictions:AAA or AAB

I applying for that course too :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Rebecca245