The Student Room Group

Almost failed my first year of Uni, literally ruined my working life as a result :(

So I nearly failed my first year of Uni and I feel absolutely awful :frown:I needed to get 40% in all my 10 exams to pass. I only managed to achieve that in 6 and I now have to resit 4. Although I hardly did any work I still feel incredibly stupid, I always hear how first year is easy to pass, easy to get 40% blah blah blah, but yet even though I managed to do the bare minimum I still failed some of my modules, feels so crap because I needed to do extremely well to do some work experience in my second year now that is completely out of the question all because of my grades and there is nothing I can do about it, and now because I won't be able to get any work experience I probs wont get a job when I graduate etc... so In effect I have literally ruined my working life how fantastic....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Seriously.... I wouldn't write everything off just yet, first year has very little bearing on the final outcome of your degree.

I would personally, first off, get some tutoring from someone who's done well to help with your resits.

With regards to work experience, there's plenty of time to do that during your second year summer break. If your results aren't great at the end of the second year, simply don't bother writing them on your CV. Due to the short-term nature of internships, employers are unlikely to delve too deep in to your individual module grades, apart from for the most competitive of programs.

Then, just work a bit harder when you're back at uni: Read more, listen in lectures, get pissed less and you'll be fine.
Settle down.
Reply 3
It´s not the end of your life.
Reply 4
It is true that the next 40 years of your career will be decided by a year which famously counts for nothing :wink:
Reply 5
So you did no work, aimed for forty percent and want me to feel sorry for you?

YOU are the problem with Universities.
Reply 6
People on this forum complain all day but have no real problems

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
With all due respect, you must have been approaching the exams completely wrong if you failed 4/10. Did you revise? Did you learn the structure and details of the exams?

Most people in my class who failed did so because they didn't turn up, didn't read up on anything, or weren't aware of the exam arrangements.

You must really find the core issue here, because it can't be a matter of it being too difficult.
Reply 8
What did you expect if u didn't put in the effort?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Norton1
So you did no work, aimed for forty percent and want me to feel sorry for you?

YOU are the problem with Universities.

^^^This ^^^

Why you thought it would be "easy" I have no idea ... you chose to do no work so you can hardly be surprised that you have failed

You are right that, depending on your subject, this could have a massive impact on your future employment possibilities ... what a shame you did not consider this when deciding to do the "bare minimum"

Perhaps you should consider a change of attitude ... stop feeling sorry for yourself ... get revising for your retakes ... make some serious decisions about the work that will be needed in 2nd year to turn this around

Or alternatively take a long look at yourself and decide if university is really for you ... if it isn't then you are gaining a lot of debt with little to gain
Reply 10
Yes you're all right no one should feel sorry for me but myself! But to be fair I never used to be so lax about exams and all that, but after working so hard towards my GCSE's and A levels and not doing as well as I should I decided to take it easy because I simply had had enough of working/revising sooo incredibly hard and not reaping the benefits. But it seems I should have kept trying my best as I would have probably done well this year... Didn't really want anyone to feel sorry for me just wanted a rant really....
Calm down. You haven't ruined your whole working life at all, there's plenty of time to get work experience, nobody says you absolutely have to get it during the summer after first year. The more the merrier, but it's not going to ruin your graduate prospects. This is the time you can screw up, first year is all about settling in and getting used to what is required of you. Clearly you cannot get by doing the bare minimum, so you'll have to organise yourself and start working harder. You only get out what you put in. If you are worried about not getting a job after you should work as hard as possible to get the best marks, you can't expect to do nothing and still get a 2.1.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending