The Student Room Group

Has the meeting of the Queen and Martin McGuinness damaged the monarch? POLL

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I have enormous respect for the Queen for doing this. If I met with people who'd murdered my immediate family, I doubt I would be so cordial. Look at Norman Tebbit, who refuses any apology for what was done to his wife, or Patrick Moore, who still hates Germany.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I'm not sure how many times the British bombed politicians, department stores, public parks, innocent civilians or indeed their own people - perhaps you can fill me in? :rolleyes:

You my friend are a fool.

Look at the Ballymurphy massacre, Glenarne Gang, Bloody Sunday, Burntollet Bridge... Plenty of innocent civilians there for you.
It would have lowered my estimations of the Queen, but frankly, they were already minimal.
I'm not sure how many times the British bombed politicians, department stores, public parks, innocent civilians or indeed their own people - perhaps you can fill me in? :rolleyes:

No your right, instead they shot children dead.

Have you ever heard of Bloody Sunday?
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
You my friend are a fool.

Look at the Ballymurphy massacre, Glenarne Gang, Bloody Sunday, Burntollet Bridge... Plenty of innocent civilians there for you.

It wasn't the British at Burntollet!
So no, instead of asking "what has this done to bridge the gap between unionists and nationalists" or "what does this mean for Martin" the question is "how many of you have lost respect for the queen?" Jesus Chrisf

Fair play to Martin McGuinness, hopefully a few more extreme republicans will change their attitudes (unlikely)
Reply 26
People act as though the queen was the only one who had a relative murdered in the troubles, George V's troops murdered innocent people watching a football game in 1920 and Elizabeth's troops murdered innocent civil rights protesters in 1972, I don't have any admiration for the IRA in the 70's and 80's but I will always view the IRA in the 1910's as heroes. I respect the queen for visiting the garden of remembrance in Dublin but I will never view her as my leader.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Please, feel free to tell me specific examples.

In the north of Ireland the number of killings of unarmed civilians by British soldiers is well documented. Between 1970 and 2000 British military personnel were responsible for killing over 300 men, women and children. All of the victims were unarmed, and none posed a threat to the life of the British soldier who carried out the killings. Among the victims are Catholic priests, elderly women, children, and even teenage girls such as Annette McGavigan age 14, who was shot in the back of the head at close range by a member of the British Army.

The killing of Kathleen Thompson

On 6 November 1971, Kathleen Thompson, was shot and killed while standing in her back garden by a British Army soldier from the 2nd Battalion Royal Green Jackets. The inquest into her death delivered an open verdict. No British Army soldier was ever prosecuted for her killing. After a nine year campaign her husband received a cheque from the British government for £84.07. He tore it up.

The killing of Stephen McConomy

Stephen McConomy. Age 11 yrs Shot in the back of the head and killed by a plastic bullet fired by Lance Corporal Nigel Robert Englefield of the 2nd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment on 19th April 1982. Lance Corporal Nigel Robert Englefield was never prosecuted for this killing.

The killing of Father Hugh Mullan

On 9th August 1971, Father Hugh Mullan, a curate from Corpus Christi, was shot by British Army soldiers in Sprinfield Park, Belfast, whilst waving a white handkerchief. Witnesses said Father Mullan could be heard praying as he lay dying for at least 10 minutes. No British Army soldier was charged with his murder.

The killing of Patrick Finucane

Pat Finucane, a human rights lawyer from Belfast was murdered in front of his wife and children on 12 February 1989 by members of the UDA. One of those involved in his murder was Brian Nelson a member of the British Army “Force Research Unit”.
Reply 28
i give her props, it takes a lot of balls to meet the man who aided the murder of your cousin let alone smile, shake his hand and engage in small talk..
Reply 29
I'm not condoning the killing of Lord Mountbatten but the Republic of Ireland police gave him warnings not to go in the boat, the person who planted the bomb spent years in prison and some British soldiers have not been punished for murdering innocent people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending