Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male- wants to lose weight.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm 5"10 and 11st. I have a flabby belly, my inner thighs are quite big and I have love handles. I basically want to lose weight to remove all this, but do not know where to begin. I don't want a musclely body as that doesn't appeal to me. I just want a flat body, with a flat stomach, skinny legs. This may sound really pathetic but this really upsets me. I feel confident pulling girls and stuff and I don't think my weight affects my life in that way. If you saw me walking down the street I don't think you would think I'm over weight, this may be due to the bottom half of my legs and my arms in general being really skinny.

I just want to lose weight and look good for Freshers in October and would appreciate any help. i.e- should I do cardio- we have a treadmill at home would that help. I also don't want to join a gym or go running in public as that will be quite embarrassing for me. Literally any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lw.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	160229
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Read the stickies then ask questions.Primarily you need to sort your diet out. Then you can think about cardio and resistance training (this does not necessarily mean bulking up and will prevent your existing muscles wasting away).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Visit eastern EU or Turkey for 2-3 weeks and go on "leafy salad+fish or chicken" diet. While there - the hot weather helps tremendously as your metabolism tract will increase and you'll to keep hydrated thus your water intake will be higher than usual and walking to see new places is just something that you do while in new places - a natural kick off to start losing weight without the stress and even relising that you do! Otherwise starting with exercises such as walking for 30min a day (perhaps twice) increasing every week by 10min will help as a good start, try to eat leafy salad and the best dressing is 2 tb spoons of olive oli and plenty of lemon juice (use lemons not the ready prepared juice they sell in the shops!)! I hope you get success in your weight loss soon!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are flabby because of low muscle tone. The skin is attached to a layer of fat under the skin and that in turn covers the muscles. If the muscles are small and flabby, the skin above will also look flabby and saggy.

You need to do resistance exercises to build more muscle bulk to make them firmer and larger. Its a bit like blowing up a balloon. There are lots of good guides to how you can do this on the net and on this site. Bulking up is very hard to do unless you train for hours everyday so its unlikely you'll look like a body builder with moderate exercise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are flabby because of low muscle tone. The skin is attached to a layer of fat under the skin and that in turn covers the muscles. If the muscles are small and flabby, the skin above will also look flabby and saggy.

You need to do resistance exercises to build more muscle bulk to make them firmer and larger. Its a bit like blowing up a balloon. There are lots of good guides to how you can do this on the net and on this site. Bulking up is very hard to do unless you train for hours everyday so its unlikely you'll look like a body builder with moderate exercise.
    Are you trolling?

OP - You can't lose weight from just one area. Ultimately you need to reduce the amount of food you eat. Doing cardio increases your body's consumption of energy but unless you control your diet at the same time, you will just eat more to make up for it. Cardio is also considered very tedious by a lot of people.

Alternatively you can lift weights and keep your diet the same, building muscle over months. However this is unlikely to "make you look good for Freshers" and is a lot more work.

The sticky goes over this in more detail.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got two issues to my knowledge, diet and exercise.

Personally, I havent been doing it right, in the sense that I kept my diet the same (I had to, I lived in catered halls), then did a lot of exercise, which is essentially just doing one thing. Paying off though, I lost 14kg, half way there

I heard you cant lose weight in certain areas sadly, I like using the treadmill and while I'm not an expert, It won't exactly be bad for you unless you have a condition (though you could google what would be most effective).

Make sure you have the motivation to keep at it. If you go at it half arsed, you may not lose much or any weight at all...It may sound cliche and you may think 'yeah yeah I'll have it', do not underestimate how important it is. Skipping out one session could lead to skipping a day then to skipping a couple then you may think you're too busy then skip a week etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't weigh that much really, that's how much your weight should be if you had some decent looking muscle.

If you just lose weight via cardio, then you'll look like a skinny rake, and your current body probably looks better than that. What you need to do is three solid days of weights and 3 of cardio/toning.

The link below has an alright workout for that:

"http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/20-6-day-weight-cardio-cutting-workout.html"

Although 6 days a week, it is resonably intense so you shouldn't be shattered the next day. If you're serious about looking better do something like the above. I would thoroughly turn you against JUST trying to lose weight.

Eat well and train hard and you'll see results within the month!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clean diet with a calorie deficit plus more activity, even just a slightly brisk walk every morning. Slow and gradual is the best.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRL)
    Dieting is harder psychologically than physiologically.
    SO damn true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just need some advice on how to lose my love handles and make my inner thighs thinner as they really bother me. For love handles if I just do normal exercise such as cardio will they go away or do I have to tone them in some way if that makes sense?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA001)
    I just need some advice on how to lose my love handles and make my inner thighs thinner as they really bother me. For love handles if I just do normal exercise such as cardio will they go away or do I have to tone them in some way if that makes sense?
    Just do some exercise, whatever you like. Walk, run, swim, cycle, do weights, play a sport, do whatever you think you can keep doing. Its not about what exercise you do, its about being consistent in doing exercise. Sure sprinting up hills will burn loads of energy and help alot, but if you can't keep doing it its useless.

If you don't want to use the gym and want to use the treadmill, then run or jog on it for however long you like. Also if you want, you can do some bodyweight exercises like squats/lunges/crunches/pushups/pullups/dips for free in your house.

Don't worry about which is scientifically optimum, you just want to lose a bit of fat, not become an elite athlete.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i find running is the easiest way to lose weight...along with cutting out certain foods.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Are you trolling?

OP - You can't lose weight from just one area. Ultimately you need to reduce the amount of food you eat. Doing cardio increases your body's consumption of energy but unless you control your diet at the same time, you will just eat more to make up for it. Cardio is also considered very tedious by a lot of people.

Alternatively you can lift weights and keep your diet the same, building muscle over months. However this is unlikely to "make you look good for Freshers" and is a lot more work.

The sticky goes over this in more detail.
    Are you an idiot?

His BMI is 21.5, he has no need to loose weight. If his BMI was 25+, then he should do.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Are you an idiot?

His BMI is 21.5, he has no need to loose weight. If his BMI was 25+, then he should do.
    1. You take BMI seriously

2. You refer to getting bigger muscles as blowing up a balloon

3. You think muscles get firmer

All of these points make me think you are a bit of a silly sausage.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    1. You take BMI seriously

2. You refer to getting bigger muscles as blowing up a balloon

3. You think muscles get firmer

All of these points make me think you are a bit of a silly sausage.
    And do you know anything about this topic?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Are you an idiot?

Your post referenced "muscle tone", claiming that low "muscle tone" makes "skin look flabby".

This is a lot of nonsense.

The OP can bulk up, increasing muscle size. But he won't look defined in time for Freshers in 2 months doing that. None of this has anything to do with "toning".
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had a calory deficit of around 500 calories/day and I've also been doing some exercise every day. My craving for chocolate is now much less, though I'm still partial to the odd ice cream

I've been losing about 1kg/week for 5/6 weeks now. At least once when I get to my ideal weight, I know I'm not going to put it all back on with lots of junk food. The craving isn't as big when you cut down gradually. I have no scientific basis for this, but something that I've noticed with myself

ie: there are people who say that wheat is bad for you, you shouldn't eat wheat. It makes you fat. Read "wheat belly" etc... when in fact I've found it to be the opposite for myself. It has helped me stay fuller for longer, and this is what's working for me.

What works for me, will not necessarily work for you. I know of quite a strong guy who goes to the gym, doesn't take protein shakes but eats some dairy products instead. That works for him.

I personally have some form of caffeine before I go to the gym. I find that works best for me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Your post referenced "muscle tone", claiming that low "muscle tone" makes "skin look flabby".

This is a lot of nonsense.

The OP can bulk up, increasing muscle size. But he won't look defined in time for Freshers in 2 months doing that. None of this has anything to do with "toning".
    If his muscles increase in size, his skin would be stretched and be less flabby, is that simple enough for you to understand?

Have you seen a body builder with flabby arms or stomach? No because their bigger muscles stretch the skin and it does not flap around.

He certainly would not look like a body builder in 2 months but he can look firmer and less flabby if he does a proper exercise programme to increase muscle and strength with resistance training.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    If his muscles increase in size, his skin would be stretched and be less flabby, is that simple enough for you to understand?

Have you seen a body builder with flabby arms or stomach? No because their bigger muscles stretch the skin and it does not flap around.

He certainly would not look like a body builder in 2 months but he can look firmer and less flabby if he does a proper exercise programme to increase muscle and strength with resistance training.
    Your post said that muscle "tone" makes fat and skin "attached" to the muscle "less flabby". That's a lot of nonsense. If he seriously tries to add muscle mass via weight lifting his BF% will stay the same or even increase in 2 months. In the long term he will look better doing that, however.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    And do you know anything about this topic?
    I know that you know pretty much **** all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 29, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.