Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male- wants to lose weight.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    I know that you know pretty much **** all.
    I concur
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA001)
    I just need some advice on how to lose my love handles and make my inner thighs thinner as they really bother me. For love handles if I just do normal exercise such as cardio will they go away or do I have to tone them in some way if that makes sense?
    Well for your thighs I'd recommend targeting that area with squats; there are many different types of squats and none really target the inner thigh, but toning up the entire thigh will have the aesthetic affect you're after. Look up squats on the internet to learn the best technique; start of with bodyweight squats (no weights) and then if you have access to weights you could use them. With the bodyweight squats try 2 sets of 50 each night before bed. Combine this with a good and painful cardio programme and you should start to see effects quickly. BUT you need to control your diet, and for weight loss I would recommend high protein moderate to high fat (seems counterintuitive but it works) and low carbohydrate. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a vegetarian, what sort of diet should I follow as I don't eat meat or fish?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA001)
    I'm also a vegetarian, what sort of diet should I follow as I don't eat meat or fish?
    quinoa, lentils, chick peas, legumes, beans, nuts, fruit, vegetables, milk, cheese, greek yogurt, quorn foods, seeds. Fish oil supplements would help too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that you know pretty much **** all.
    Why don't you share with the rest of the world what you know about the topic? I reckon is a big fat zero but prove me wrong.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    I concur
    Your alias.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why don't you share with the rest of the world what you know about the topic? I reckon is a big fat zero but prove me wrong.
    What do you want to know?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to know?
    Are you clueless?

Is your little friend clueless?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Are you clueless?

Is your little friend clueless?
    No and No.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi so started with my weight loss today. I did 50 mins on the treadmill (3miles), however it only said I burnt 100 calories, which is odd. My legs absolutely kill, is that a good thing?

My aim in life is to have legs like these : . So the whole leg is one shape, at the moment my thighs stick out the lower half of my legs is skinny and wearing shorts my legs look odd lol.

One more question, what is a 'healthy' breakfast? Ideally what should I be eating> Normally I just have cheese on toast but that isn't too great when trying to lose weight.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA001)
    Hi so started with my weight loss today. I did 50 mins on the treadmill (3miles), however it only said I burnt 100 calories, which is odd. My legs absolutely kill, is that a good thing?

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it.
    If you don't do much excercise, your body is going to need to adapt and your legs will probably hurt. So long as it's not joint pain, in general you're ok. 100 kcal might be a little low but in general, excercise doesn't burn that many calories unless you're doing massive amounts of cardio.

If you want to look as thin as possible, you have a LOT of cardio and dieting ahead of you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's right. A half hour running is the equivalent to burning a cookie lol That's why you either sort your nutrition out so you're eating less than expending or do more exercise, or ideally do both with resistance training mixed in (more muscle = more fat burning capacity, not to mention the calories burnt whilst lifting).

I'd like to know if these treadmills and cross-trainers actually deduct the base calory rate (the amount you'd burn doing nothing). I'm pretty sure I've seen machines that don't do that, so if you subtract your base the calories burned is often pitiful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Yep that's right. A half hour running is the equivalent to burning a cookie lol That's why you either sort your nutrition out so you're eating less than expending or do more exercise, or ideally do both with resistance training mixed in (more muscle = more fat burning capacity, not to mention the calories burnt whilst lifting).

I'd like to know if these treadmills and cross-trainers actually deduct the base calory rate (the amount you'd burn doing nothing). I'm pretty sure I've seen machines that don't do that, so if you subtract your base the calories burned is often pitiful.
    Oh wow- so how do people lose weight whilst using a treadmill if the calorie loss is pitiful. Do I need to be on the treadmill for a lot longer? Should I start to some biking? I remember using the exercise bike and it said that I had lost around 600 calories in an 1hr 30? Or are counting calorie loss irrelevant as there are other benefits to using a treadmill regardless of calorie loss?

Sorry about all these questions, I'm just really determined to sort my body out.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA001)
    Oh wow- so how do people lose weight whilst using a treadmill if the calorie loss is pitiful. Do I need to be on the treadmill for a lot longer? Should I start to some biking? I remember using the exercise bike and it said that I had lost around 600 calories in an 1hr 30? Or are counting calorie loss irrelevant as there are other benefits to using a treadmill regardless of calorie loss?

Sorry about all these questions, I'm just really determined to sort my body out.
    It's slow and painful losing calories on a treadmill. If you're doing it primarily in the fat burning zone (so around 65% heart rate) then you're gonna be on there a long time on a regular basis-- I remember doing an 8km low resistance running session once and my god, I can't handle such a mind numbing experience 2-3 times a week. It's boring as hell.
    You are far better off running outside. It will be more challenging yet easier at the same time with the wonderful scenery, kebab shops and ghettos we have nowadays. There is no excuse.

First and foremost, you NEED to sort your diet out. Read the stickies. Diet will have the most profound effect on body fat. Not eating those cookies in the first place will literally save you days of cardio.

Once that is done and you want to budge some of that existing fat, start doing some cardio -- the type that has you working hard, huffing and puffing. This could be interval sprints, HIIT, or numerous sports (swimming, cycling, football, boxing). Throw in some resistance training too so you maintain and hopefully grow your muscles at the same time (eg calisthenics, body weight exercises, weight lifting at your local gym etc). You don't want to lose muscle but that's what happens when you lose weight. Muscle is precious and it gives you a higher fat burning capacity.

That's the short of it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 29, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.