The Student Room Group

POLL, do you have better qualifications than your parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At my age my father had only 4 standard grades (equivalent to GCSE) so in terms of being the same age I have more. But he now has a HNC and apprenticeship.
My mother had at my age the exact same as I have now but I hope to get better Higher results in summer than she did, a few years ago she went back to college and got a BA, which I hope to match someday
Reply 21
At the moment I have an undergraduate degree, so does my mum. My dad and stepdad have no degree but probably earn more than either of us ever will anyway.

My mum also has a PGCE, but I'm starting a Masters in September. In time I hope to join a Doctorate though.
Reply 22
Dad beats me with his post-doctorate but I will hopefully do better than my mum when I get my results :smile:
Reply 23
My mother yes (completed her Bachelors a couple years ago) my father, we're equal (Master's degree)

My sister also has a Master's degree.

However there are a few people in my family with PHD's and a couple medical doctors, so I won't be the most accomplished in my family
Reply 24
My Dad has a few O-Levels and mum has an A* at GCSE. So I'd say I have better qualifications than them thus far.
I'll probably finish uni with with a higher degree classification than them (they both got 2:1s) but then they both have 30 odd years experience in places like The Times, MI5 and British American Tobacco, along with having taken countless other courses so...

No. Unlikely I'll ever catch up with my dad. WE LIVE IN WONDERFUL TIMES. : ]
Easily the damn slackers.
What about having the same qualifications as your parents? That's my ideal situation. Although not in the same subjects. That said, I wouldn't mind being a Professor. :tongue: But at the moment, I'm not even close to having more qualifications than my parents.
Dad has the equivalent of A level engineering and maths and mum has something I'm not quite sure. Needless to say I'm qualified to be at uni so I am certainly ahead of them. Even more so the moment I get my BA Honours Degree.
Reply 29
My parents both have second class Honours degrees in the same subject from a prestigious university, although they graduated in the 1970s so their qualifications arguably carry more weight because standards were higher.

I have a 2.1 Honours and an MSc with Distinction.
Reply 30
My parents don't even have GCSEs so yeah lol
Reply 31
Parents both have BAs and post grad professional qualifications (PGCE) so for the moment neither.

May well catch up to my Dad, but Mum has an MA so unlikely to catch her as I don't intend to do one.

Within extended family likely to be quite low as well as plenty have MAs, virtually all have PGCE (too many teachers!) and a couple have PhDs.
Reply 32
Everyone will have; the last Labour government inflated grades so much that an autistic two-year old could get an A-grade A level in Physics.
I've beaten my Mum who only went up to GCSEs, and I'm nearly on par with my Dad who went up to A levels. However, I plan to do a degree and a masters so i'll likely surpass them.
Reply 34
I will possibly do a masters.

But there should be a 'The same level of qualifications as my parents' option.

<3 x
Reply 35
My dad has a degree in Physics from Ludwig Maximilian University plus an MBA from National University of Singapore both of which he was top in his class.

My mum has a Chemistry degree from UCL, she was the first in her family to attend university and she graduated in the early 70s with a 2:2, I don't think it has held her back as in the last 25 years she has out-earned my dad 3 to 1 :biggrin:

Myself, I have a degree in Finance and Marketing from a tier 1 US university plus a 2:1 LL.B from a Russell Group uni. In the midst of completing an MBA from a highly reputable Swiss uni.

Better qualifications? TBH, it isn't something I ever thought off and to me what you gain and do with those qualifications are far more important that actually having those qualifications.
absoloutley not, I am doing my A levels, so i cannot beat my mums 3 degrees, and a Doctorate, as well as being an E.C.T trained, nurse prescriber.

My dad however, only has A-levels, and NVQ's, so I can beat him at some point (i hope :/)
Original post by Maker
Do you have better qualifications than your parents or do you plan to?

Kind of hard to pick a poll option, I am already in a better position than my father academic wise (he passed (if you can call it that, he got bad scores but he still passed, technically) the Bac and stopped) however although I have more achievements academically... he has achieved much more throughout his life and thus my qualifications will never outweigh what he has done.

I will never have better qualifications than my mother, she is a former highly paid/ranked doctor/director of a hospital and current director for a private medical company in Italy... her qualifications are kilometres long!!! I'm only going for Masters... she has so many things, I have no idea where to start :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes as they don't have any to my knowledge :/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Reply 39
I have better qualifications at high school level, but my mum did art at college and my dad has a masters degree so not yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending