The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
Sure you haven't got that backwards?

High weight x low reps -> strength
moderate weight x slightly more reps -> hypertrophy

Unless my gym instructor training is more full of bull**** than I previously thought. I'm going to say it's more likely to be right than you are in this case, though. Someone else can shed some light on it if they want, I'm more than happy to modify what I've learned with convincing arguments from knowledgeable people in this subforum.

It kind of depends on context. "Light" and "heavy" are meaningless without numbers attached to them, and so are "low" and "high" amounts of reps. For example, doing 60% for 5 sets of 5, three times a week, is lifting more often and with lighter weight than doing 80% for 1 set of 20 once every 10 days, but the former may be better for strength (although still kind of crap) and the latter better for muscle building. On the other had if you get into higher percentages, 85% x8 is better for muscle building and 90% x3 is better for strength. You'd be right more often than not, because the second set of numbers are more realistic but the vagueness makes the whole argument meaningless. Making a statement either way is one of the more annoying things people do online.
Reply 101
Original post by Ronove
Sure you haven't got that backwards?

High weight x low reps -> strength
moderate weight x slightly more reps -> hypertrophy

Unless my gym instructor training is more full of bull**** than I previously thought. I'm going to say it's more likely to be right than you are in this case, though. Someone else can shed some light on it if they want, I'm more than happy to modify what I've learned with convincing arguments from knowledgeable people in this subforum.

"Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy leads to larger muscles and so is favored by bodybuilders more than myofibrillar hypertrophy which builds athletic strength. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is triggered by increasing repetitions, whereas Myofibrillar hypertrophy is triggered by lifting heavier weight."
-wikipedia

Crap, you're right. Man, I'm not on my game these past few days...
Reply 102
Original post by Average_Aaron
seriously, whenever I hear advice of EAT LIKE A HORSE LIFT HEAVY! i facepalm

it does nothing but put pointless excessive strain on your joints for minute added strength gains

I've switched to calisthenics only after 2 years of weights and have been progressing every week

moral: Lifting heavy is overrated. 1-5 rep ranges are pointless unless you're a powerlifter

This may be good for conditioning but don't think its effective for muscle gain?
Reply 103
I've never seen a weightlifter do a 2finger pushup...
Original post by almasy

More protein shakes required
Original post by almasy

I've never seen anyone who can do a 2 finger pushup do a 100kg bench press.

Next argument?
Original post by HFerguson
I've never seen anyone who can do a 2 finger pushup do a 100kg bench press.

Next argument?

You wait, in a year's time I'll be doing that!

I'm loving the 1-5 rep range, adds less mass than 8-12 for sure which I did in the past. I don't like being too bulky (I bulk up very quickly which I kinda hate), plus being between sizes in clothes really sucks.
adored and respected member... lol
Original post by IRL
Lifting weights does not improve fighting capability nor does it make you punch harder.

Well, it kind of does.

Original post by IRL
Yes some boxers lift weight as part of their supplementary strength and conditioning programs.

Punching power is more complex than simply lifting more in the gym and as a result punching harder.

There are plenty of people that go to gyms and can out-lift professional boxers, yet will never punch as hard.

Of course there are, but that's a pointless comparison. The question should be, can lifting improve the power of your own punch, not can it make your punch more powerful than that of a trained, professional boxer.

Why do you think some boxers lift weight as part of their supplementary strength and conditioning programs? (mostly only the high level athletes it's true)

The power behind a punch has a lot to do with technique, so a professional boxer is likely to be able to improve the power of his own punch by increasing his type 1 muscle fibers so that he has more power from his legs/hips. How does he do this? By lifting wieghts!
Original post by silent ninja
You wait, in a year's time I'll be doing that!

I'm loving the 1-5 rep range, adds less mass than 8-12 for sure which I did in the past. I don't like being too bulky (I bulk up very quickly which I kinda hate), plus being between sizes in clothes really sucks.

One year to get to a 100kg bench. Really?
Original post by Old School
One year to get to a 100kg bench. Really?

I think the press-up on two fingers will take me a while, especially when I hardly do press ups from being fatigued from the bench. Anyhow, 1 year sounds good!
I think the press-up on two fingers will take me a while, especially when I hardly do press ups from being fatigued from the bench. Anyhow, 1 year sounds good!

what are you benching atm? I'm hoping for a 100kg bench by christmas at the very latest.
what are you benching atm? I'm hoping for a 100kg bench by christmas at the very latest.

57.5kg x 5 reps x 3 to be exact.

I'm not doing Starting Strength atm but that rep range works nice for me. I've added 7.5kg in the last week so progress has finally picked up as my recovery is better (started lifting 28 May = 5 weeks, primary objective to lose fat and get more lean).

I've got 20 weeks free between now and Christmas so at a doable 1-2.5kg a week I think I can manage 100kg by Christmas maybe....only concern being less body fat means slower strength gains so I'll have to see how that affects me. I'm around 14.5% body fat going by the calipers which are reasonably accurate.

What are you on? What's your aim? I will cut down on gym and start substituting body weight exercises eventually. My upper body strength atm is crap so I'm finding free weights more effective in the short time I'm giving at the gym.
Yes I'm going about it all wrong but no way am I going through a dirty bulking phase. I'll be last pick in footie.
(edited 11 years ago)
57.5kg x 5 reps x 3 to be exact.

I'm not doing Starting Strength atm but that rep range works nice for me. I've added 7.5kg in the last week so progress has finally picked up as my recovery is better (started lifting 28 May = 5 weeks, primary objective to lose fat and get more lean).

I've got 20 weeks free between now and Christmas so at a doable 1-2.5kg a week I think I can manage 100kg by Christmas maybe....only concern being less body fat means slower strength gains so I'll have to see how that affects me. I'm around 14.5% body fat going by the calipers which are reasonably accurate.

What are you on? What's your aim? I will cut down on gym and start substituting body weight exercises eventually. My upper body strength atm is crap so I'm finding free weights more effective in the short time I'm giving at the gym.
Yes I'm going about it all wrong but no way am I going through a dirty bulking phase. I'll be last pick in footie.

I'm just doing 3x5 for everything atm, apart from front squats which is 3x3. Sessions alternate between front squat or back squat, bench press or push press, and face pulls or chin ups (neutral/hammer grip). Deadlift on wednesdays. Couple bits of accessory work here and there when I have time or feel like it. Aims for september were 90 front squat for reps, 105 back squat and 70 bench but I'll probably reach them within 3 weeks hopefully. I gave up on getting leaner, I just wanna get stronger and don't care what it takes :tongue:
I'm just doing 3x5 for everything atm, apart from front squats which is 3x3. Sessions alternate between front squat or back squat, bench press or push press, and face pulls or chin ups (neutral/hammer grip). Deadlift on wednesdays. Couple bits of accessory work here and there when I have time or feel like it. Aims for september were 90 front squat for reps, 105 back squat and 70 bench but I'll probably reach them within 3 weeks hopefully. I gave up on getting leaner, I just wanna get stronger and don't care what it takes :tongue:

100kg is definitely achievable for you, Christmas is a lazy target lol (says the guy who gives himself a year).

Yes I read that huge section in Starting Strength about YNDTP ("You're not doing the programme) and can comfortably say I'm not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by see-are
strength is the measure of a man. The more you lift the more respect you command in the hierarchy of life. Those who can lift the most gain power. Look at Schwarzenegger. The stronger men have the right to steal women and possessions, although they will naturally get the women anyways.

Dolph Lundgren would kick Arnie's ass.
I wouldn't call seeing my bum literally lift upwards, my thighs becoming like steel and moving my iPod armband up a notch as overrated!
Original post by Shawshank
Problem is most people who support the "calisthenics" movement are the people who endorse the x thousand reps of pushups/situps/bwsquats etc which is just as "useless" as what they believe "lifting heavy" to be. More often than not your physique will still look awful.

Original post by jam277
Yeah, plus it takes more time to do loads of pushups and much more effort/reps to get progress.

That's not what they support, although some may.

There's way more to it than endurance, but that does have its part.

Just one example: A REAL Planche Push-up generally means you have the strength for a 2xBW bench press, even without ever training bench. And if worked on smartly, the progress in strength gains happens at roughly the same speed as they would doing strength program.
Reply 118
Original post by DudeRugs
People believe it is much better to lift at 75+% when you can build the same muscle lifting at 30% of 1RM. Hence its overrated.

I work out regularly and my 1RM when bench pressing is just above 90kg. Because of this when training I complete sets on 65-75kg, from doing this I have found good progression. If somene told me to do 30% of my 1RM, so 27kg, I would find this laughable. I could quite comfortably do 30 reps on this weight and see no benefit. How you can see this as good advice seems crazy.
3 x 8 reps and then till fail on my last set.

Latest