(Original post by Diminutive)
I'm sure all the soon-to-be freshers are properly hyped about starting at Loughborough =D
Soo I thought I'd put in a word for Student Union Societies and basically how awesome they. Brilliant way to get involved with the student experience - meet new people, try new stuff and generally have fun - usually at epic price discounts.
There's masses of societies
in a tonne of different areas. The freshers bazaar will be your one stop shop to find out what you want to know.
Also watch out for societies that have a limited capacity (Pole Dance Soc as one example) - you'll want to sign up to these ASAP (probably before the bazaar to really ensure your spot).
To join a soc its £5 insurance + cost of societies. (you only pay insurance once).
I thought it'd be nice for people to post about any societies they are in (will add to OP =D) or if any freshers have any questions they could put them here =D
LSU Computer Society
- Computers, Gaming, Steak, Kittens, Reddit
- Weekly "steak nights" at Amber Rooms. Occasional "Console nights" at the union. A group normally go to stupid tuesday and Mosh in Leicester on a Friday.
- Twice termly large LAN parties on campus. Bletchley Park vists. Other uni and pro LAN parties. Lazerquest. Educational and interest talks.
- Active forums and online gaming community (including hosting our own servers).
- £15 membership (gets you free entry to first LAN) + insurance
- None, but LAN parties do sell out so it's best to secure tickets (£5 refundable deposit for the first one) before the event, to ensure your space
- Really friendly society, and a lot more about socialising than people would think. We're pretty active over the summer virtually - so if you play online games and would like to meet some awesome current students then visit lsucs.org.uk
for more details =D
Belly Dance Soc
- Everything from nights out to Nottingham to pre drinks in the Bill Mo common room in preparation for Stupid Tuesday! Tuesday sessions are the more ''formal'' ones with the instructor, and the second is quite relaxed, where we'll probably spend the second half socialising; maybe get a take out or potentially end up in Revs!
- Learn to get your windy grindy hips ready for those nights out!
- At the moment it's £30 for one semester which includes a coin belt and stick or £50 all year.
- The new committee has been voted in and we've been working hard to revamp the committee for Freshers! We're second years and you'll see us on nights out during Freshers dressed as belly dancers to entice you all in! It's great fun and we have a professional instructor who's performed with world class dancers!
- Street dance, hip hop, cyphers, dance, routines
- New social sec will be organising a calender of socials which will be handed out at the bazaar, as well as there being opportunities for various performances
- UK uni bboy championships (newcastle), hardskool (students union)
Other Benefits -
Being able to bust-a-move whenever you want
- £45 membership for the year which gives weekly training with our coach + a society t-shirt
- The breaking community is quite chilled out, many people may be afraid to try it out because they've never danced before, but most members started this year and have gotten really far, sessions are quite relaxed and there are the older members who are there to help anyone who wants to learn new moves~