The Student Room Group

Should I do 4 HLs?

Should I do 4 HLs? or stick with 3 HLs? I'm very interested in the 4 HL subjects I chose and I believe I can do fairly well in them when I start with the IB Diploma programme this September. Any advice? :confused:

This is my course combination:
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English A1 HL
Psychology HL
Spanish ab. initio SL
Maths HL
I don't think you should do HL Maths simply for the fact you are asking whether 4 is ok, and you have 5 in your combination :colone:

It's too much. I know people who are doing the standard IB who are very intelligent ('Oxbridge' material) and they are struggling to keep up. It's just unnecessary. Seriously, the IB itself is pushing it, there is no need to do any more. You are already showing yourself to be a motivated student who can time manage, pplus developing enough subject interest without 4+HLs

Stick with 3. Honestly :smile:
Reply 2
Good god no.
Reply 3
No. Seriously. 3 HLs are enough to cope with, especially in your last year of IB when you can barely cope with the 6 subjects+EE+TOK.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by bebelavida
Should I do 4 HLs? or stick with 3 HLs? I'm very interested in the 4 HL subjects I chose and I believe I can do fairly well in them when I start with the IB Diploma programme this September. Any advice? :confused:

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English A1 HL
Psychology HL
Spanish ab. initio SL
Maths HL

Depends on what you want. If you want to do them because you're interested (which seems to be the case), go for it, as you'll enjoy it even if it will be a bit tough at times. But don't do it for university admissions as it just doesn't matter to them enough.
Reply 5
If you do those 5 HLs, I'm sure you will fail. Not being mean. Just honest.

Depending on what you want to do, I'd drop a science, and psychology to SL, so you'd have:

HL Bio or Chem
HL English
HL Maths
SL Bio or Chem
SL Psychology
Ab. Spanish,
Reply 6
Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start off with doing four HLs, that way you can drop down your least favourite / necessary to SL. Once my HL Maths group collectively gave up, we had to upgrade another subject to HL and for some of us that meant catching up on lost material (unless you do English, in which case it's pretty much the same :biggrin:)
I'm sure plenty start with four HLs but I doubt many would finish with four of them.
Original post by JoeZell
If you do those 5 HLs, I'm sure you will fail. Not being mean. Just honest.

How the hell can you know that? People have done 5 HLs and passed, including Maths and sciences HLs. I'm not saying everyone can or should, but you can't state that as a fact when it's not true.
Original post by bebelavida

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English A1 HL
Psychology HL
Spanish ab. initio SL
Maths HL

i have an advice :tongue: i dont know what u wanna study exactly.. but id say do 4 HL's. u listed 5 and im not sure if u can do 5.. and that would be too much, but not necessarily 4. do 4 for a few months, up to a year, and if you struggle and feel like there is too much pressure, drop 1 of them.. i did that.
oh and keep in mind that chem, bio and math all at HL means u will be suffering :tongue: just a heads up
Reply 9
i wouldn't do 2 science HLs. the amount of IAs you will be doing is immense and it will take up a lot of your time. also regarding your question with 4 HLs, its kind of pointless. You don't get extra credit for doing 4 HLs, universities don't really care so its useless extra stress and pressure
Original post by ukbavaria
i wouldn't do 2 science HLs. the amount of IAs you will be doing is immense and it will take up a lot of your time. also regarding your question with 4 HLs, its kind of pointless. You don't get extra credit for doing 4 HLs, universities don't really care so its useless extra stress and pressure

Yeah, it's totally pointless. What's the point in knowing more stuff, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending