The Student Room Group

Which subject would be better to choose?

I'm just starting A2 work now and we have to pick up an extra subject of either:
GCSE Latin
General Studies
Critical Thinking
Extended Project

I'm not all too fussed on which one i pick in terms of the content of the subject they all seem pretty boring, so which would be beneficial when applying for University (I want to do either advertising or TV and film production) or just look better in general? :smile:
Original post by EmmyLauren
I'm just starting A2 work now and we have to pick up an extra subject of either:
GCSE Latin
General Studies
Critical Thinking
Extended Project

I'm not all too fussed on which one i pick in terms of the content of the subject they all seem pretty boring, so which would be beneficial when applying for University (I want to do either advertising or TV and film production) or just look better in general? :smile:

I'd say Latin: languages always are a positive on the CV, and could be a very useful thing to add to your personal statement. :smile:
GCSE Latin
General Studies
Critical Thinking
Extended Project

There's a massive stigma in my college that General Studies is a waste of time as hardly any universities accept it. I was never given the option not to do it as it is a compulsory A level everyone has to take minus Btec students. General studies is a pretty easy A-level to get though so if you want an easy subject go with GS! Make sure you do something relevant to your future career though. :smile:
Reply 3
Definitely not General Studies or Critical Thinking from what I've heard. Be aware that GCSE Latin does require some serious work, especially if you have done only limited Latin before. If this is your first time doing Latin, doing the GCSE in one year will be tough and time consuming.

I would have thought the EPQ would be the best option, since you can do it on something that interests you. Perhaps you could mention it in your personal statement as well?

Good luck choosing!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
I'd say Latin: languages always are a positive on the CV, and could be a very useful thing to add to your personal statement. :smile:

Thankyou, i think i have been slightly swaying more towards that option. I will definitely need it then because i don't really have much other than grades on my CV!
Reply 5
latin... Critical thinking and general studies arent accepted by many universities plus latin is seen as one of the old 'great' subjects always looks good and can come in handy later on in life, may i ask what you intend to do later on at uni?
Reply 6
Original post by thegodofgod

Oh yes, languages are great and I would definitely advise on learning Latin just for the hell of it, but if your planning to start from scratch you will have to work very hard to get a good grade.
Reply 7
GCSE Latin
General Studies
Critical Thinking
Extended Project

GS can be a nice easy A/A* if your offers are expressed in UCAS points or you apply to somewhere that accepts it (some do, Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield off the top of my head) as part of a grades expressed offer.

Think EPQ is quite well respected but not too sure as it was brand new when I did A Levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 117r
Definitely not General Studies or Critical Thinking from what I've heard. Be aware that GCSE Latin does require some serious work, especially if you have done only limited Latin before. If this is your first time doing Latin, doing the GCSE in one year will be tough and time consuming.

I would have thought the EPQ would be the best option, since you can do it on something that interests you. Perhaps you could mention it in your personal statement as well?

Good luck choosing!! :biggrin:

I've been swaying towards Latin but i am worried about the work load having not done it before! Thanks for the advice!
Reply 9
Original post by cl_steele
latin... Critical thinking and general studies arent accepted by many universities plus latin is seen as one of the old 'great' subjects always looks good and can come in handy later on in life, may i ask what you intend to do later on at uni?

Thanks for the advice :smile: I'd like to do Creative Advertising or Film and TV Production.
Probably the Extended Project, I've heard it's hard work, but you do get to focus on something you're interested in and some universities can either lower their entry requirements for you if you have it (from AAA to AAB) or it gives you extra UCAS points.
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice :smile: I'd like to do Creative Advertising or Film and TV Production.

well baring that in mind extended project might be more appropriate as you could do it on something more related to the subject you want to do but personally id still go with Latin for the aforementioned reasons, plus once you get the hang of all the declensions its easy :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by cl_steele
well baring that in mind extended project might be more appropriate as you could do it on something more related to the subject you want to do but personally id still go with Latin for the aforementioned reasons, plus once you get the hang of all the declensions its easy :smile:

I think i'm gonna go with Latin, thanks for your advice :biggrin:
Reply 13
I would say EPQ as you can do it in something that interests you and its widely recognised by a lot of universities, bearing in mind a lot of courses don't accept general studies.
EPQ - you can study something you are interested in and is directly relevant to your degree subject

Quick Reply