Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police haul truant children to school

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...t-truancy.html

Well its nice to see our tax money being spent in such a productive manner even if it is rather amusing ...

Thoughts and views on this?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes, truanting is against the rules, we know, but are you honestly going to tell me that the police have nothing better to do?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would hope that the police have better things to be doing.

However I can't help but feel that it'd be a kick up the backside that some of them need!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That won't make the children value their education and will probably only attenuate the overall productivity of the class.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Truancy? It's not a serious crime in its own right but skipping school will create opportunities for mischief and, unless they just stay at home all day, mixing up with other bad apples. Then once they are no longer of school age and have no proper skills or qualifications they are a big crime risk. So I see this more as a form of necessary early intervention than anything else.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is a shame because it shows that some parents are incapable of sending their own kids to school.

But kudos to the police..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhadamanthus)
    Yes, yes, truanting is against the rules, we know, but are you honestly going to tell me that the police have nothing better to do?
    Like what? If they were urgently needed or were short staffed they would adapt and go where they're more needed instead?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScheduleII)
    Truancy? It's not a serious crime in its own right but skipping school will create opportunities for mischief and, unless they just stay at home all day, mixing up with other bad apples. Then once they are no longer of school age and have no proper skills or qualifications they are a big crime risk. So I see this more as a form of necessary early intervention than anything else.
    Glad you think this! I thought I was the only one who saw it that way.

However it is possible that by doing this kids will start showing off about the police themselves having to deal with them... it'll be interesting to see how/if it works in the long term
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it should be their parents who should be facing the legal action for allowing them to truant. I mean there's wandering around town at lunchtime until the end of the day and then there's complete ignorance. Oh, did you give them keys so that while you're at work they can sneak back in? Don't give them keys then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Tbh it should be their parents who should be facing the legal action for allowing them to truant. I mean there's wandering around town at lunchtime until the end of the day and then there's complete ignorance. Oh, did you give them keys so that while you're at work they can sneak back in? Don't give them keys then.
    That will only cause them to wander around more, become increasingly bored, and do more undesirable things to pass their time.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    That will only cause them to wander around more, become increasingly bored, and do more undesirable things to past their time.
    Well they throw themselves under a bus so I imagine they need strapping down right?

Sorry, it's just that there never seems to be an end to these things.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how people would feel about this system if employers called on police to make sure adult staff turn up to work.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good. Hopefully it'll sort out the trouble makers before they begin to cause bigger problems later on.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    I wonder how people would feel about this system if employers called on police to make sure adult staff turn up to work.
    Big difference with that is that employies are not legally obliged to turn up to work (of course then the employer is not obliged to pay them).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Populism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should haul the parents off to the local police station and then flog them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this because they're cutting Education Welfare Officers? Meaning police have to be hauled in from more useful tasks to fulfil this function instead.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a pity, laws already existed for parents to be jailed if their brats were playing truant or being consistently late, except the courts stood in the way as usual.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.