The Student Room Group

Stats or Decision?

I honestly have no idea which would be best for me. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics and hopefully want to do either Medicine or a Physics degree at uni.

The courses are:
Decision - Decision 1 in year 12, Mechanics 1 in year 13
Stats - Stats 1 in year 12, Stats 2 in year 13

or there's a small chance I could do S1 them M1 but it's not guaranteed.
Help!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by con625
I honestly have no idea which would be best for me. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics and hopefully want to do either Medicine or a Physics degree at uni.

The courses are:
Decision - Decision 1 in year 12, Mechanics 1 in year 13
Stats - Stats 1 in year 12, Stats 2 in year 13

or there's a small chance I could do S1 them M1 but it's not guaranteed.
Help!:smile:

Decision modules are the easiest maths modules you'll do at A level by a long way, and a lot of mechanics overlaps with A level physics. So yeah, I'd strongly reccomend the first option (Decision)
Reply 2
Original post by Trollin
Decision modules are the easiest maths modules you'll do at A level by a long way, and a lot of mechanics overlaps with A level physics. So yeah, I'd strongly reccomend the first option (Decision)

Thanks, did you do maths, which modules did you do?
And what is each one like in terms of content?:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Trollin

I agree that decision is extremely easy to do, but personally it's a lot easier to get better marks in S1, and S2 is even easier than S1! For D1, writing down one number wrong in half a page of numbers can cost you a decent mark. In terms of getting a better grade, I'd definitely recommend S1 and S2 - however like Trollin said, a lot of mechanics would overlap with A level physics so it's really your choice.
Reply 4
Original post by con625
Thanks, did you do maths, which modules did you do?
And what is each one like in terms of content?:smile:

Yeah I did maths,(and further) and I'm now studying it at uni. It's been quite a while since I did A level so you might want to ask someone who's done a bit more recently in case the syllabus has changed. From what I remember:

Decision: Just follow an algorithm and you'll be fine
Stats: Basic probability, simple distributions etc.
Mechanics: A lot of overlap with physics, laws of motion, bit of differentiation/integration
Core: mostly calculus, particulary core 3 +4
Reply 5
Original post by Xyonzz
I agree that decision is extremely easy to do, but personally it's a lot easier to get better marks in S1, and S2 is even easier than S1! For D1, writing down one number wrong in half a page of numbers can cost you a decent mark. In terms of getting a better grade, I'd definitely recommend S1 and S2 - however like Trollin said, a lot of mechanics would overlap with A level physics so it's really your choice.

For D1 a 10 year old could ace the exam. The reason people fail it is because it is so easy that people don't bother revising for it. As long as you revise for it you'll do well. And yeah, I agree, S1 + S2 aren't that bad either.
Reply 6
Original post by Trollin
For D1 a 10 year old could ace the exam. The reason people fail it is because it is so easy that people don't bother revising for it. As long as you revise for it you'll do well. And yeah, I agree, S1 + S2 aren't that bad either.

Haha that's true, a lot of it is ridiculous. However there's less probability (no pun intended) of messing up S1 and S2 than D1, even though they're slightly harder.
Original post by Trollin

it may be easy, but it also requires the person doing the exam to not make silly errors, more of an emphasis on d1 than s1 admittingly.

But if the person doing the exam isn't prone to silly errors, then they will sail through D1.......

S1 is involves more formulas......
Reply 8
Original post by James A
it may be easy, but it also requires the person doing the exam to not make silly errors, more of an emphasis on d1 than s1 admittingly.

But if the person doing the exam isn't prone to silly errors, then they will sail through D1.......

S1 is involves more formulas......

That is true, and for stats all the formulas are given to you. Decision is about learning algorithms parrot fashion, and that's where people mess up.
S2 is harder than M1 and D1 put together so definitely recommend the first option! I've also done S3 and S4 and I think S2 is harder than S4 even!
Reply 10
Original post by Xyonzz
Haha that's true, a lot of it is ridiculous. However there's less probability (no pun intended) of messing up S1 and S2 than D1, even though they're slightly harder.

So your decision would be a play safe strategy rather than a maximal approach? Factoring in utility would make that a sensible decision :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
S2 is harder than M1 and D1 put together so definitely recommend the first option! I've also done S3 and S4 and I think S2 is harder than S4 even!

Huh? S2 is the easiest! Well I can't say that for S4...I've done S1-3 and S2 was by far the easiest, nothing hard in it :confused:
Do not take d1. It is easy but so boring so boring so boring dont take it because u wont revise for it coz its so boring
Reply 13
Stats 1 is easy enough you get the normal distribution table n u jus have to learn/memorise a few other formulas mean, variance standard deviation etc. Stats 2 is poison and binomial dristribution that turd carries about 40%-50% of the marks so got to master that area. Its not difficult stats is jus applying common sense and formulas!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by ken2
Stats 1 is easy enough you get the normal distribution table n u jus have to learn/memorise a few other formulas mean, variance standard deviation etc. Stats 2 is poison and binomial dristribution that turd carries about 40%-50% of the marks so got to master that area. Its not difficult stats is jus applying common sense and formulas!

It's the opposite for WJEC, which has all the Poisson and binomial in S1 and all the normal distribution in S2.
Original post by Tullia
It's the opposite for WJEC, which has all the Poisson and binomial in S1 and all the normal distribution in S2.

Who cares babe
Original post by Xyonzz
Huh? S2 is the easiest! Well I can't say that for S4...I've done S1-3 and S2 was by far the easiest, nothing hard in it :confused:

In comparison to M1 and D1, S2 is much harder than those though! S3 is the hardest but S4 I found rather okay :/ (hopefully)... With stats it's all about remembering formulas and methods mainly, with decision and mechanics they're all about theories and knowing how to use them e.g. Simplex Tableux (Those were so damn time consuming!!!)
Original post by dongonaeatu
Who cares babe

:rolleyes:
D1 is really easy but really boring, M1 is a pretty good balance of difficulty and interesting topics.
S1 is pretty easy, I'd say probably the easiest module in A-Level maths except D1 but is quite a bit more interesting (though not quite as fun as M1); S2 is totally different to S1 and is much more complex (Hardest module of the 4 you have listed by a mile).
All on Edexcel, Overall I'd go for S1 + S2 while a bit harder; they are more challenging and enjoyable (D1 could drive you to death by bordem).

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I8150
Reply 19
Decision is very easy to pickup but the exams are meaner than you may expect considering how simple the content actually is.

Stats is marmite. So depends whether you enjoy it or not.

Mechanics overlaps with Physics AS so its relatively easy if you're doing that.

I went for S1 and M1. Can't say I regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest