Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a guitar to campus?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this is a question which concerns security of living in the halls. I realise security will differ between Universities and everything, but I'm looking for the general consensus.

Basically, I can either take my Gibson or my Epiphone when I go. (For those that don't know, Gibson = £2000ish and Epiphone = £500ish).

I prefer the Gibson, but I'm not sure if it'd be wise to take it with me. I'd plan on padlocking in the case shut when I'm not around, but this obviously doesn't prevent against someone just picking it up and taking it! I don't suppose the doors at the halls of locks, or perhaps somewhere else I could store the guitar and feel that it's safe?

Any input would be great, as this can be applied to most of our valuables!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some universities provide free basic contents insurance. It'd be a good idea to register your guitar as soon as you move in.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    All halls provide locks on bedroom doors
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hebbamundo)

Basically, I can either take my Gibson or my Epiphone when I go. (For those that don't know, Gibson = £2000ish and Epiphone = £500ish).

I prefer the Gibson, but I'm not sure if it'd be wise to take it with me. I'd plan on padlocking in the case shut when I'm not around, but this obviously doesn't prevent against someone just picking it up and taking it! I don't suppose the doors at the halls of locks, or perhaps somewhere else I could store the guitar and feel that it's safe?
    As the last poster said, you will have a lock on your door. And as the previous person said, you may have basic contents insurance included. But that's not likely to cover a £2k guitar. Check your university's website and see who the insurance provider is (likely to be either Endsleigh or cover4students) then check how much it would be to buy top-up insurance to cover it. If you don't have basic insurance, then these are probably the best 2 companies to look at anyway (although it's worth getting your parents to check their policy to see if that can be extended)
    Make sure any policy covers you for accidental damage; I can't help feeling that the biggest problem is likely to be a drunken friend stumbling and falling onto it and smashing it, rather than theft.
    And if you love it so much that its less monetary than sentimental value, then I wouldn't take it - take your cheaper one initially, see how things are and maybe swap them over at Xmas?

Don't know why someone's negged you for what seems like a perfectly reasonable question so have given you +ve to even up :-)

Clearly my post offended someone for now I seem to have been negged myself. Anyone care to proffer an explanation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accomoffice)
    As the last poster said, you will have a lock on your door. And as the previous person said, you may have basic contents insurance included. But that's not likely to cover a £2k guitar. Check your university's website and see who the insurance provider is (likely to be either Endsleigh or cover4students) then check how much it would be to buy top-up insurance to cover it. If you don't have basic insurance, then these are probably the best 2 companies to look at anyway (although it's worth getting your parents to check their policy to see if that can be extended)
    Make sure any policy covers you for accidental damage; I can't help feeling that the biggest problem is likely to be a drunken friend stumbling and falling onto it and smashing it, rather than theft.
    And if you love it so much that its less monetary than sentimental value, then I wouldn't take it - take your cheaper one initially, see how things are and maybe swap them over at Xmas?

Don't know why someone's negged you for what seems like a perfectly reasonable question so have given you +ve to even up :-)

Clearly my post offended someone for now I seem to have been negged myself. Anyone care to proffer an explanation?
    Actually, on a second thought, it's likely that you're right. Not many insurance companies would be up for covering something that expensive.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Actually, on a second thought, it's likely that you're right. Not many insurance companies would be up for covering something that expensive.
    They do insure expensive stuff - let's face it, they insure entire buildings, airliners, human lives you name it - and pay the premium - they'll insure it.

However, you may have to either pay to 'top up' the contents insurance that your university offers, or buy a separate insurance policy. My own university offered a basic insurance package, but you had to pay extra to insure mobiles, bikes, laptops etc. (anything of value / likely to be stolen!)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either bring the cheaper Epiphone or buy extra insurance. I bought extra insurance for my computer because its value exceeded that covered by the university's standard residence insurance. I think I paid £26 pounds to Endsleigh to insure my computer for a cost of up to something like £1500 perhaps. Not that bad really! Covers accidental damage too, which is always reassuring to have
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine had two guitars in his halls, dunno how much they were worth though if i'm honest. He never had a problem though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Take the Epiphone. Or failing that, buy one of those delightful Encore packages from Argos They'll only shred your fingers a small amount, honest. But don't even think about playing anything where you have to bend the strings, as the ones they had in secondary school had grooves all up the neck that the strings got stuck in! Y
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Take the Epiphone, they still sound good
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had a £1400 saxophone, already insured on standalone insurance though. I think it was £40 a year, with Allianz. They give you smart water too so if it does get nicked it can be traced back to you.

Highly unlikely it will get nicked though, so long as you don't flash it around, brag and boast, and if you ever were burgled randomly I'd imagine they wouldn't know it's worth compared with a TV/laptop.

Even if you did flash it around, most likely whoever nicks it will know you and I'd imagine it'd be distinctive enough that it would be noticed around campus

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.