Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can I still get a Merit?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I think I'm pretty much screwed on the Merit front! An art student having to do Advanced Statistics never ends well!! Luckily, I dont need to resit the paper, but I think I've messed up my chances of getting a Merit cos I think i got a C!! Is there any saving the situation? can one still get a merit even after a C or a D!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As we are unaware of your course and its regulations, how are we supposed to know ? Some do an average-over-the-year, others do all-must-be-above-a-threshold: which may be 65% or may not be.

TBD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbaby)
    Hi guys! I think I'm pretty much screwed on the Merit front! An art student having to do Advanced Statistics never ends well!! Luckily, I dont need to resit the paper, but I think I've messed up my chances of getting a Merit cos I think i got a C!! Is there any saving the situation? can one still get a merit even after a C or a D!!
    I also had to do an advanced statistics unit which covered material I had not even done the basics for in about 7 years. Total headache and I managed to skew all my data and fail the second paper. Going to have to retake in the next month but I am not too worried as I only failed by 1% and mainly due to that skewed data (I forgot to remove a missing value).

I don't understand your marks. Are you currently doing a dissertation? The dissertation can give you a nice boost up to a merit if you have averaged a high pass.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be difficult if you're taking an advanced course without the necessary fundamental?

However, to the OP and Politics Student: :console:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Wouldn't it be difficult if you're taking an advanced course without the necessary fundamental?

However, to the OP and Politics Student: :console:
    Thanks.

You are right. It was the hardest module I had taken during my MSc course and had the effect of dragging down my overall average to 63-64% with all my other units being between 65-68%. Still only need a merit to go onto a PhD and I am lucky to have a good research topic and a very supportive lecturer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've got to get at least a 60% average of your combined modules, and at least 60% in your dissertation. I'm not worried bout my dissertation, I'm worried bout my modules. I'm basically wondering hoe much damage a marginal pass is going to do to my overall average.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...and you are studying Advanced Statistics ? :rolleyes:

(Original post by gbaby)
    You've got to get at least a 60% average of your combined modules, and at least 60% in your dissertation. I'm not worried bout my dissertation, I'm worried bout my modules. I'm basically wondering hoe much damage a marginal pass is going to do to my overall average.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.