The Student Room Group

Can I still get a Merit?

Hi guys! I think I'm pretty much screwed on the Merit front! An art student having to do Advanced Statistics never ends well!! Luckily, I dont need to resit the paper, but I think I've messed up my chances of getting a Merit cos I think i got a C!! Is there any saving the situation? can one still get a merit even after a C or a D!!:frown:
Reply 1
As we are unaware of your course and its regulations, how are we supposed to know ? Some do an average-over-the-year, others do all-must-be-above-a-threshold: which may be 65% or may not be.

TBD
Original post by gbaby
Hi guys! I think I'm pretty much screwed on the Merit front! An art student having to do Advanced Statistics never ends well!! Luckily, I dont need to resit the paper, but I think I've messed up my chances of getting a Merit cos I think i got a C!! Is there any saving the situation? can one still get a merit even after a C or a D!!:frown:

I also had to do an advanced statistics unit which covered material I had not even done the basics for in about 7 years. Total headache and I managed to skew all my data and fail the second paper. Going to have to retake in the next month but I am not too worried as I only failed by 1% and mainly due to that skewed data (I forgot to remove a missing value).

I don't understand your marks. Are you currently doing a dissertation? The dissertation can give you a nice boost up to a merit if you have averaged a high pass.
Reply 3
Wouldn't it be difficult if you're taking an advanced course without the necessary fundamental?

However, to the OP and Politics Student: :console:
Original post by kka25
Wouldn't it be difficult if you're taking an advanced course without the necessary fundamental?

However, to the OP and Politics Student: :console:

Thanks.

You are right. It was the hardest module I had taken during my MSc course and had the effect of dragging down my overall average to 63-64% with all my other units being between 65-68%. Still only need a merit to go onto a PhD and I am lucky to have a good research topic and a very supportive lecturer.
Reply 5
You've got to get at least a 60% average of your combined modules, and at least 60% in your dissertation. I'm not worried bout my dissertation, I'm worried bout my modules. I'm basically wondering hoe much damage a marginal pass is going to do to my overall average.
Reply 6
...and you are studying Advanced Statistics ? :rolleyes:

Original post by gbaby
You've got to get at least a 60% average of your combined modules, and at least 60% in your dissertation. I'm not worried bout my dissertation, I'm worried bout my modules. I'm basically wondering hoe much damage a marginal pass is going to do to my overall average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending