The Student Room Group

'Strong' A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hassi94
Hmm fair enough, but the way the question from the source was asked sounded like 'will you accept it' in which case - most would say yes regardless (it's just a preference).

Possibly, but given some were saying they don't I can't see why others wouldn't. They've hardened up Law A Level now and most lecturers moan about A Levels and the approach they inspire generally not any particular one.

The 'it teaches you the wrong thing for a Law course' could apply equally to Politics and unlearning aspects of that for Public Law.

It's on the Trinity list as only being acceptable for Law and Land Economy which suggests Cam don't think it's a bad idea for prospective lawyers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
Hmm fair enough, but the way the question from the source was asked sounded like 'will you accept it' in which case - most would say yes regardless (it's just a preference).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that A-level Law was regarded as a 'soft' subject and that if you are applying for law at uni they would rather that you had English lit, history or philosophy etc, in favour of law?
Original post by roh
Possibly, but given some were saying they don't I can't see why others wouldn't. They've hardened up Law A Level now and most lecturers moan about A Levels and the approach they inspire generally not any particular one.

The 'it teaches you the wrong thing for a Law course' could apply equally to Politics and unlearning aspects of that for Public Law.

It's on the Trinity list as only being acceptable for Law and Land Economy which suggests Cam don't think it's a bad idea for prospective lawyers.

Maybe, I'm certainly no expert on the subject - just passing on what I'd heard. :smile:

Original post by paulbridger
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that A-level Law was regarded as a 'soft' subject and that if you are applying for law at uni they would rather that you had English lit, history or philosophy etc, in favour of law?

Well that's what I suggested and thought but that little study by AQA suggested differently.
Reply 23
Original post by hassi94
Maybe, I'm certainly no expert on the subject - just passing on what I'd heard. :smile:

Well that's what I suggested and thought but that little study by AQA suggested differently.

Just don't let tortious hear you saying that, it's one of her bugbears!
Reply 24
Thanks for all the help, I had my interview today and went with:

Chemistry
Law
History
Psychology.
Reply 25
I think A Level Economics' reputation is over rated to be honest.

Just my 2 cents.
Strong and soft can also depend on the type of work you do. Some stuff is seen to be soft because the exam is basically a memory game, and with others it's strong because it required analysis etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest