Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Splitting rent between 3 rooms/4 people?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So my boyfriend and his 2 friends shared a house from last summer each paying £235 in rent each. This summer I'm moving in with them and the letting agency in response has upped the cost of the shared room to rent and a half, so the 2 individuals would continue paying their £235 a month and the two sharing would pay £176.50 a month each, totalling at a cost of £352.50 for the room and house. Bills would also be split four ways so they'd make a saving there and because I'd be the only student living in the house they'd also receive discount on their council tax.

However, the two individuals disagree with this and think it's unfair we should be paying less than them, even though we'd only have a room between us (and we were planning on getting our own house this year but they begged us to stay with them so that they didn't have to find a new house/new housemate) and he was actually really aggressive about the whole situation.

What would you do/think is fair? Thanks for your help
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as you equally share the bills I think you are very much in the right paying less for the rooms; you are only using one after all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    All utility bills should be divided by four.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people who share a room should split the cost of that room. It's only fair. If he's not happy about it, then either tell him to get a roommate to cut costs or too bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was thinking too, aslong as the bills are equally split then what's the problem? Nothing has changed for them so I don't see what warrants them having to pay less rent, it's not like I'm going to be sharing their rooms with them: they'll have the same amount of space. The extra half rent added to our room from the letting agency covers the cost of the actual house space so our rooms would be of equal value still :/
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Considering that you're sharing a room and paying more for that one room that they are I can't really see why they're complaining.

If your moving in somehow impacted them financially then you might understand it but surely they might actually save some money because the other utility bills are being split by four?

Sounds to me like they're just being childish really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a pretty classic situation, see http://splitwise.com/calculators/rent and http://marginalrevolution.com/margin...-the-rent.html

It basically comes down to the amount and quality of the communal area, because rent doesn't just cover your rooms. If it were a house with literally only bedrooms and a kitchen, then the rent should be divided by the amount of bedrooms. If there is lots of frequently used communal spaces, living room, dining room, garden etc, then these areas should be divided by the amount of people.

So in an average house you might say rent should be divided 50% (bedrooms) by 3 and 50% (communal areas) by 4.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    Considering that you're sharing a room and paying more for that one room that they are I can't really see why they're complaining.

If your moving in somehow impacted them financially then you might understand it but surely they might actually save some money because the other utility bills are being split by four?

Sounds to me like they're just being childish really.
    That's what I was thinking and when I said that to them, they said it's not fair how we should be paying less than them because it should be equal. But it's not equal because we don't have a room each, we share one. In response he was like 'yeah but you're paying for the HOUSE not the room' and doesn't seem to understand that that is why we're paying rent and a half!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah<3)
    That's what I was thinking and when I said that to them, they said it's not fair how we should be paying less than them because it should be equal. But it's not equal because we don't have a room each, we share one. In response he was like 'yeah but you're paying for the HOUSE not the room' and doesn't seem to understand that that is why we're paying rent and a half!
    He sounds like a 5 year old stamping his little feet and shouting "It's not FAIR!"

If he can't see reason then ignore him, you're paying what the landlord is asking you to pay in order for the rent to be covered.

Maybe just tell him that you've agreed this with the landlord and there's no way to change it now so him complaining can't do anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point as to why they're angry, they are paying no more or less than they were before.
    It seems as if they're just jealous.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    He sounds like a 5 year old stamping his little feet and shouting "It's not FAIR!"

If he can't see reason then ignore him, you're paying what the landlord is asking you to pay in order for the rent to be covered.

Maybe just tell him that you've agreed this with the landlord and there's no way to change it now so him complaining can't do anything.
    I've tried ignoring him but he gets so aggressive about it and we're having another 'house meeting' about it tonight to reach a 'compromise' :/
    We tried saying that about the landlord but a few months ago when it was first decided I was going to move in, the landlord told me that the other guy had been in contact with him to tell him we were going to split the rent equally after it was already agreed with the landlord we'd pay rent and a half, because they said that's the fairest way of doing it. The other guy however says the landlords and letting agencys are wrong and the right way is infact his way.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah<3)
    I've tried ignoring him but he gets so aggressive about it and we're having another 'house meeting' about it tonight to reach a 'compromise' :/
    We tried saying that about the landlord but a few months ago when it was first decided I was going to move in, the landlord told me that the other guy had been in contact with him to tell him we were going to split the rent equally after it was already agreed with the landlord we'd pay rent and a half, because they said that's the fairest way of doing it. The other guy however says the landlords and letting agencys are wrong and the right way is infact his way.
    To be honest I'm not that sure what you can do. Sometimes people can be very unreasonable.

Doesn't he realise that if you all paid the same you'd be paying in total more rent?

Actually I reckon I know what his motive is, he reckons that if the total amount of rent (as you were paying before not with your rent and a half added on) was divided by 4 his rent payments would go down.

I think you should ask him out straight if that is what he's after.

But the chances that the landlord would accept that are slim. After all if there are more people in the house that's more wear and tear and possibly more maintenance and mending to do etc.

And no landlord expects two people sharing one room to pay the same as one person with one room. It's daft.

And I don't think he's going to have much success with getting the letting agency to change their minds.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell him the compromise is that you and your bf are moving out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this sounds like a bad bargain for both you/your bf AND the other guys sharing the flat.

in my experience (private rental and agencies) rent has always been determined based on the property as a whole, and not per room.

in your case it sounds like the landlord is trying to make a quick buck by charging you more simply for living there, something which costs him nothing to facilitate (so why charge more rent other than greed?).

in respect of the other flatmates, they are losing out under this arrangement because they are paying the same amount of rent despite having to share communal areas with an extra person. my logic here being a bathroom shared between three people, for example, is a more valuable commodity than a bathroom shared between four people, and so on.

the concept of you paying "rent and a half" for the shared room is only of any kind of benefit to your flatmates if that means that they each pay a quarter (your extra half divided between the two of them) less rent than they otherwise would. this compensates them for having to share communal assets with an extra person.

i think the problem is your letting agent / landlord, not your flatmates.

hope this makes sense! :s
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like an easy situation, but as the landlord said what your rent would be, surely that is your argument?

My boyfriend lived with his friend and his girlfriend in a 2 bed flat and before they started looking they all agreed to split everything 3 ways as the flat didnt have specific rent per room. In this situation it really is down to the landlord!

Hope you get it sorted!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've found that when this situation comes up there is a online tool I've used in the past to fairly calculate the amount of rent each person should pay.

http://splitwise.com/calculators/rent

This is an easy tool that will take the sizes and amenities of each room into account when calculating each persons share. There are some other calculators on the site that are super entertaining.

Good luck with your situation!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Set up an account with the company Glide. They founded the company after going through uni and having the difficulty of dividing and taking responsibility for bills when sharing rented accommodation.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.