Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it sexist or ignorant for a guy to fight for a girl's honor?

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let me clarify that I am not talking about protecting a girl from physical assault. That would make the answer too easy. What about a verbal assault though?

Imagine a guy and girl are out in public together. They could be romantically involved or just close friends. The girl has a confrontation with another guy. The guy proceeds to insult her by calling her names or making lewd suggestions. So here is the dilemma.

If women are to be considered a man's equal in all situations, then there is no logical reason why she can't be expected to stand up for herself. She was never in danger physically, so the idea of the stronger sex defending the weaker sex does not apply. So what is a lad to do in this situation? I'll be honest. I would most likely end up in a fight. I don't consider myself to be a chauvinist, but there are still some elements of chivalry which are definitely ingrained in my psyche. I also honestly believe most women would lose respect for a guy that didn't stand up for them.

I would like to claim that my desire to protect the women I am with stems from the deep respect I have for them, and that is partly the truth. However, if I am going to be completely honest, I think I would have to admit a big part of it is that when another man insults a girl that is clearly with me, he is indirectly challenging my manhood. That is not a challenge I can easily walk away from. Even though I know I should. I'm not completely sure what that says about me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Theres a whiteknight inside everyone of us.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    If women are to be considered a man's equal in all situations, then there is no logical reason why she can't be expected to stand up for herself. She was never in danger physically, so the idea of the stronger sex defending the weaker sex does not apply.
    As her friend, it's reasonable that you stand up for her. Same as a female could stand up for a male if they were being verbally assaulted.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    do what you gotta do mate...you wanna stand up for a bitch do it...you wanna stand there and see her get verbally abused...just...stand..there..an d..watch
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Equal is a dynamic term in social context.

Women are, usually, weaker physicaly then men thus a threat even only verbal which could imply potential physical could then be perceived as a real danger.

In terms of everyone being equal I would say the correct thing to do would be to stand up for the person no matter who it was but to then judge the situation as it's own example. If it were quite a big guy and the girl was very small then clearly put yourself in between them were any threat of violence to break out for example.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree completely with this, I would do the same. I'd find it very hard to walk away with no backbone...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    I would like to claim that my desire to protect the women I am with stems from the deep respect I have for them, and that is partly the truth. However, if I am going to be completely honest, I think I would have to admit a big part of it is that when another man insults a girl that is clearly with me, he is indirectly challenging my manhood. That is not a challenge I can easily walk away from. Even though I know I should. I'm not completely sure what that says about me.
    Good discussion. If I'm perfectly honest, I would walk away if the insult did not bother her. But if it bothered her I think it would be between telling him to apologise because it isnt nice or walking away. I'm not a strong tall guy so if he refused to apologise well I wouldn't fight him because I'd rather my health be intact than trying to make sure I'm still a 'man' because to me that is rather foolish
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd just think of something witty to say back and make him look stupid without actually defending anyone.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's best to verbally stand up to people. If they swing you a punch then there's your way into a fight but don't start it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get your point, but if there's no physical threat to either of you surely its not worth the risk of getting hurt or stabbed in a fight.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I challenge you Sir, on the honour of this fine wench, to a duel! :dogt:

..nothing outmoded about that
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend fought for my honour.... to be fair he's in a medieval re-enactment group and it basically meant me tying a scarf around his arm and watching him beat up his best friend with a sword in a castle in front of an audience but still, I felt pretty honoured
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a line to be trod between trying to fight other peoples battles for them and then trying to support them and protect them.

If someone tried to verbally abuse or get aggressive towards my friends or boyfriend then I'd probably pile in and give them a piece of my mind but then motive is that no-one insults those I love and can expect to get away with it. No-one.

I don't think it's sexist to be angry with someone who's being abusive to a girl you know, I think that's quite natural.

I think what to think about is how well she is doing defending herself, if she's doing fine then acting as back up and standing by to step in if things go too far could be enough.

And maybe also check that she actually wants any help, she might end up getting hacked of at you if you're not careful!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it ignorant if you as a sporty guy stand up for a small, skinny guy being bullied?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well in general, if someone started insulting one of my friends - and it clearly wasn't just in jest - then I would tell them to **** off. So this situation is no different.

On the other hand, some guys get all hot under the collar when people just joke with their girlfriends in front of them. I think its actually showing a lack of respect for your companion to suggest that she can't handle a bit of banter and needs to somehow be shielded from it by her big strong man. Talk about patronising.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd stand up for any of my friends whether they are male or female.

P.S. anyone else getting annoyed by all those generalised facebook pictures and trends on Facebook/Twitter where people make very general/dumb statements about women as a whole like the one below and everyone likes it or retweets it?

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    We can surely defend a female friend when they're being abused even as equals, because you could (would, in my case, I'd hope) do the same for a male friend.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    As her friend, it's reasonable that you stand up for her. Same as a female could stand up for a male if they were being verbally assaulted.
    I agree with this.

However, I think it depends a lot on the people involved too. If the girl is doing a good job of putting the guy in his place and standing up for herself, and if she's genuinely not in physical danger then it's probably better to leave her to it and not to intervene.

The way I'm picturing this scenario in my head, if a guy came into the situation ready to back up the girl, there's a good chance of it erupting into a full on fight, and I'm sure the girl wouldn't want that. If that was a likely outcome, I'd hope the girl had the sense to move away from the argument to protect the guy who was ready to fight for her, because in the end it wouldn't be worth it at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just have a habit of ignoring most people like that or coming out with something pretty random. At the end of the day I don't need to prove anything to anyone as I have the girl :rolleyes: I always stick up for my girl though but I would always try to avoid a physical fight (I could and would take on anyone if pushed that far, which has happened only once in my lifetime).

Example;

I was out with my ex and having a lovely time. Some young punk starts trying to make a move on her right in front of me! :rolleyes: So I said something along the lines of "gee thanks mate, I know i'm fit but you shouldn't flirt with me in front of my girlfriend" :cool: The look on his face was quality, and he just slinked away You don't need to fight if you already have the girl (although you do have to stand up for her and treat her right!).

I think that it is better for guys to offer help only when it is genuinely needed as at the end of the day women are just fellow humans. They ultimately have to look after themselves and if they are in a situation whereby they expect a guy to fight for their honour then they simply can't look after themselves
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    Yes. The worst thing is they haven't even got the lyrics right.

"And since a man can't make one, he has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one." is the original lyric. I've seen loads of them about all sorts of topics.

And what's also annoying is it's always the dumbest people who could do with taking some of the advice they post instead of preaching to me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

SQA results day chat

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.