Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it sexist or ignorant for a guy to fight for a girl's honor?

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funsongfactory)
    I get your point, but if there's no physical threat to either of you surely its not worth the risk of getting hurt or stabbed in a fight.
    That doesn't make sense ... if you thought there was the potential to get physically hurt and/or stabbed, then that is a physical threat.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends who the chick was, what was being said to her and what your intentions are really
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    That doesn't make sense ... if you thought there was the potential to get physically hurt and/or stabbed, then that is a physical threat.
    It makes perfect sense, if it's just words theyre using then its not worth risking getting hurt.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    Let me clarify that I am not talking about protecting a girl from physical assault. That would make the answer too easy. What about a verbal assault though?

Imagine a guy and girl are out in public together. They could be romantically involved or just close friends. The girl has a confrontation with another guy. The guy proceeds to insult her by calling her names or making lewd suggestions. So here is the dilemma.

If women are to be considered a man's equal in all situations, then there is no logical reason why she can't be expected to stand up for herself. She was never in danger physically, so the idea of the stronger sex defending the weaker sex does not apply. So what is a lad to do in this situation? I'll be honest. I would most likely end up in a fight. I don't consider myself to be a chauvinist, but there are still some elements of chivalry which are definitely ingrained in my psyche. I also honestly believe most women would lose respect for a guy that didn't stand up for them.

I would like to claim that my desire to protect the women I am with stems from the deep respect I have for them, and that is partly the truth. However, if I am going to be completely honest, I think I would have to admit a big part of it is that when another man insults a girl that is clearly with me, he is indirectly challenging my manhood. That is not a challenge I can easily walk away from. Even though I know I should. I'm not completely sure what that says about me.

Depends on the circumstance doesnt it. how many people get stabbed/bottled/hospitalised etc because of their ego ? lots i suspect- a lot of people watch too much tv/movies. internet chat and think they can square up to anyone after a few words are exchanged- reality can be starkly different.

"I think I would have to admit a big part of it is that when another man insults a girl that is clearly with me, he is indirectly challenging my manhood. That is not a challenge I can easily walk away from. Even though I know I should. I'm not completely sure what that says about me."

Sounds very much like what monkeys do in the wild. But then, they will beat each other to death over a female monkey

Id only ever get into physical conflcit if my personal welfare or someone very close to me was in danger. And even then there is alsways the risk in defending myself i do some serious damage to the other guy, then it all ends up in court.
    So it isnt really worth the risk, certianly not for a few careless words. Sticks and stones and all that.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do anything. Why should I?

I might step in if she were getting physically assaulted, but I would hope my rationality would take over and I would just walk on.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, in the case of a verbal assault I'd rather just de-construct the person responsible with are far more pointed and adequately humiliating verbal response of my own where possible...

Which I suppose does count as 'fighting', but physically attacking someone to defend the honour of a lady from verbally-cast aspersions is just being a brute. A gentleman should not just throw punches to solve problems, else he'd become as bad as or worse than the person responsible.

As for sexist... To be honest, so long as defending a lady is not done so that it actually removes her capacity to defend herself in addition, there's surely nothing wrong with it. And if there is, I don't want to live on this planet any more.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    you know what **** this sexism stuff... it would instantly make them more attractive. do what you like, i'm just saying....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    I wouldn't do anything. Why should I?

I might step in if she were getting physically assaulted, but I would hope my rationality would take over and I would just walk on.

Well you might think differently if you wanted to sleep with her?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd try to insult him back with some quick, witty statement and hope that he ****s off but if he kept persisting then I'd smack him in the mouth - not just to fight for her honour but I don't like mouthy bastards pissing me off.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Well you might think differently if you wanted to sleep with her?
    Doubt it would raise my chances much.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    you simply look at the other person with cold-blooded look and say "if you dont f****king leave now i will rip your heart off and i will eat it"
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would expect my bf to want to protect me. I don't care what branch of feminist bull **** says i should feel otherwise.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    you know what **** this sexism stuff... it would instantly make them more attractive. do what you like, i'm just saying....

(Original post by Ham22)
    I would expect my bf to want to protect me. I don't care what branch of feminist bull **** says i should feel otherwise.
    I completely agree! I think this sexism stuff has gone too far! I'd rather spend the rest of my life on sandwich making duty than deal with this crap where men think they aren't allowed to be gentlemen anymore. I want chivalry! I wish these feminists would stop causing all these problems for us by making men think that we want to be treated exactly the same as men in every eventuality. It annoys me soooo much!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.