Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

First year grades + masters.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, I got my grades back last week for first year and didn't too very well overall.
    I also failed one exam and one piece of coursework too which I will have to retake over the next few weeks.
    However, my first year counts for nothing towards my degree.

I was just wondering, when applying for a masters, will the universities look at my individual grades, even if I have a 2:1/1st at the end of my degree as many just say you should have a 2:1 etc.

Could someone just help me out here.
    Thanks guys.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They will look at all of your results yes, although to be honest your final grade matters more than anything else.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine mine having looked at my first year grades, although they weren't exactly bad. It really the core modules of the degree, and very few if any of those occur during the first year.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    First year grades probably aren't considered as important as the final grade but I think they probably do look for consistence in grades. Like consistently good grades throughout. Especially if there's a lot of competition.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on when you apply. If you're applying while still in 3rd year then, of course, they'll only see your 1st/2nd year grades. That doesn't mean that they'll outright reject you unless your 2nd year grades are appalling. A good PS/references can offset bad 1st year grades.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.