Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a car: can someone explain everything to me?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    following on from my last thread about buying a house, i would like to know the costs involved with buying a car. unlike buying a house, i am strongly considering buying a car but might have to hold off if the costs are too great

the car itself: how much would an average decent (or at least semi-decent) car cost? do you get what you pay for (as in, beyond a certain cost, are you merely buying for the image and flashiness rather than performance)? do you haggle the price down and where is the best place to buy a car? things like this i would like to know.

other costs: what other costs are there for a car and how much would these costs be per month/per year? i know fuel depends on how much you travel. what about MOT? insurance (assuming i am a male under 25 years old. i heard that insurance is highest for males under 25)? road tax? other costs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    extremely difficult question to answer i think?

I am guessing you wouldn't be looking at a new car? depending on what you want to use the car for it could literally cost anything from 0-10,000. Cars that I have been involved in buying have involved some haggling when at private dealerships or used cars, but then cars when bought new were just bought. pretty much.

In regards to cost? road tax depends on age of the car and/or emissions. so once again - depends on the car you get.
    insurance, once again I am afraid can range greatly, for instance myself last year was nearly 400, this year just under 300. Factors here is history of insurance (no claims etc), size/type of car and where you are located.
    MOT and service - depending where you are located and what deals are about MOT can be anything between 30 and 50 (I think the set 'price' is around 55 but places often have deals), and when it comes to cost of the service it depends on the age and quality of the car. my car is about 8 years old now and the past two years has cost a fair bit in services! Overall on average running of a small 1.2 run about car as mine is costs me around 600-800 a year minus petrol. But this all really depends on the type of car you get.

To get a better idea of insurance the online comparing sites are good as you can find an example car you like the look of and get quotes etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinkle1)
    extremely difficult question to answer i think?

I am guessing you wouldn't be looking at a new car? depending on what you want to use the car for it could literally cost anything from 0-10,000. Cars that I have been involved in buying have involved some haggling when at private dealerships or used cars, but then cars when bought new were just bought. pretty much.

In regards to cost? road tax depends on age of the car and/or emissions. so once again - depends on the car you get.
    insurance, once again I am afraid can range greatly, for instance myself last year was nearly 400, this year just under 300. Factors here is history of insurance (no claims etc), size/type of car and where you are located.
    MOT and service - depending where you are located and what deals are about MOT can be anything between 30 and 50 (I think the set 'price' is around 55 but places often have deals), and when it comes to cost of the service it depends on the age and quality of the car. my car is about 8 years old now and the past two years has cost a fair bit in services! Overall on average running of a small 1.2 run about car as mine is costs me around 600-800 a year minus petrol. But this all really depends on the type of car you get.

To get a better idea of insurance the online comparing sites are good as you can find an example car you like the look of and get quotes etc.
    thanks for the reply. to make it simpler, please can you give a breakdown of all the yearly costs of your car and how much it cost you to buy. i know the cost may vary for me.
    • 168 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    thanks for the reply. to make it simpler, please can you give a breakdown of all the yearly costs of your car and how much it cost you to buy. i know the cost may vary for me.
    The main annual costs that you'll need to cover are:
    • Insurance: varies hugely, depending on age, claims history, etc., but expect at least a few hundred pounds and potentially a few thousand if you're a young driver with no history. You can try using a site such as http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/ to get an idea of the cost
    • Maintenance: are you looking at buying a new car? If so, you may well find that the manufacturer's warrnaty covers all routine maintenance for the first few years. Failing that, expect about £1,000-£2,000 per year depending on the make/age of the car, etc.
    • Road tax: Up to £475 per year depending on CO2 emissions. £150-ish is typical; see here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524
    • MOT: currently £55 annually, required for cars over three years old.
    • Fuel: Depends on your annual mileage and your car's fuel efficiency. I drive a little over 200 miles per week, which costs me around £40 weekly at about 40mpg.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    car is 8ish yrs old now, when bought new approx 7k
    MOT £50 approx
    Services average past few years £200
    Insurance £360
    Tax £160 ish

I drive about the same as the other poster a week so costs about that much too in petrol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.