The Student Room Group

The Taboo of Science - "Black IQ".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Thanks for displaying a genuine interest in it - it's very much easier to engage in discourse in this way rather than when people attempt to shout down anything they disagree with as often takes place on TSR.

I wish rather more posters had the same attitude as you.

You are welcome - I do enjoy a good debate. It's a shame because in my opinion, debating should be about learning to be able to appreciate another person's point of view - not necessarily making the other person/people agree with everything you say. Unfortunately too many people use debating as an excuse to impose their views and shout down anyone that disagrees, as you say. :facepalm2:

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by NB_ide
But Orientals do even better than Westerners, lol...

Yes, they do. However, my point is that it's all very well having numerical statistics but without trying to explore the reasons why a study has shown what it has and the factors that influence studies, inaccurate conclusions can be drawn from the statistics.
Original post by Blutooth
Well said :smile:

Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Maths_Lover
An important thing to realise is that success is not necessarily down to natural intelligence. It is certainly helpful, however. Success is determined by hard work and attitude. Even if you are inherently intelligent, if you do nothing about it and laze around, you will eventually be surpassed by those who may not be as intelligent but are more hardworking. Being a teenager myself, I commonly witness many of my peers act as if their dreams and ambitions will be handed to them on a silver platter. :facepalm:

Many Asian cultures revere hardworkers and it is admirable to be doing really well at school, even among your peers. Now I'm not saying that is not the case in the west, but I do get the impression that it is seen as "weird", "sad" and "uncool" to want to work hard in general and it is certainly the case in many places that those that excel far above their peers are mocked for doing so. The result is that sadly many people are afraid to work at their potential for fear of being mocked and seen as that "sad nerd". However, in many Asian cultures, competition and ambition are actively encouraged, so there is less of this stigma that doing really well at school is weird. Consequently, more people will work hard and so naturally more people will succeed.

From speaking to many adults, teenagers and children alike, I have realised that many people think that because they have not succeeded at something at their first go or find it difficult, it means that they can't do it at all and so they don't try. Practice is seriously underrated. Take a person who is musically gifted and has succeeded in this field. People will marvel and say things like "Gosh, I could never do that!" without realising or really appreciating the fact that to get to where they are, that person has put immense effort and hours upon hours of frustrating practice into it.

To be honest, I don't think that Asian people succeed more necessarily because they are more intelligent than white people, but rather that a greater proportion of them appreciate the value of hard work. I have no doubts that if more people in Western cultures realised this, they too would become just as successful.

Also, India and China have the largest populations of any countries in the world. Statistically, there are bound to be more extremely intelligent people who are Indian and/or Chinese. It's no massive surprise really. :dontknow:

There are many other factors I could mention but this post is already long enough. :colondollar: One could actually write an essay on topics like this.

Didn't answer my question at all, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.
Reply 64
Original post by vedderfan94
It's been scientifically proven. Blacks DO have a lower average IQ. Some people seem to think this is racism, but it's just fact.

Typical Durham student. You'll fit in well.
Original post by B-Man.
Didn't answer my question at all, but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

It didn't?? :lolwut:

While it is true that I needed to get that out of my system, they are genuine observations that I have made - it wasn't just a rant.
However, what it does illustrate is that IQ is genetic, and not affected in any significant way by environment.

Have you ever read any studies on the heritability of intelligence? (Genuine question - I don't wish to appear rude).

Are you familiar with the concept of fluid intelligence? It's been shown that through various techniques such as task-specific training, working memory training, and a few other types of mental 'exercise' that require high amounts of attentional control that improve fluid intelligence, and thus how one performs on an IQ test, is improvable. I'll be happy to get sources if you wish. :tongue:

Although I don't doubt that there may be a heritable element of intelligence (from what I've heard there most likely is, but I don't know enough about the subject to make such a statement with any sort of conviction), I certainly disagree that environment has no significant effect on IQ.

Just to ensure we're not thinking of different things, when I see environment - I think about a person's upbringing, and social, mental and physical activities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by B-Man.

You asked "Why do Asians perform better than their White counterparts then?"
And Maths_Lover expounded the various cultural differences that may have led to this being the case, like British students being mocked for having a healthy work ethic.

Seems to me like she answered your question and you have no constructive response.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Yes... so the question is "Where do we go from here - somebody tell me please" (much like a lyrics to a song - I forget who it was by)?

Well?

(P.S. Scientifically proven? You mean statistical studies? Have there actually been MRIs, actual dissecting of brains, extensive studying and research like such?)

Of course it doesn't mean we should stop educating them or giving them opportunities. What it means is that we shouldn't beat ourselves up over their underrepresentation in high end jobs and their over representation in lower income brackets.
Reply 69
It didn't?? :lolwut:

Nope, I asked why Asians do better in IQ tests than their white counterparts, in response to someone who claimed that Whites do better than Blacks in IQ tests because they are culturally biased in favour of middle class Whites. So my question was asking how this explanation of cultural bias makes sense when considering that Asians do better than Whites.

While it is true that I needed to get that out of my system, they are genuine observations that I have made - it wasn't just a rant.

And I agree with what you said. So, Well done, I guess.
Ever read The Bell Curve?

You shouldn't discriminate against individual people because a group they belong to has a typically below average IQ.

However, the group IQ is useful to know to plan policy.

Instead of violent oppression, enforced transportation etc, my policy prescription is simple: encourage the right people to have children (those with average and above average IQ, regardless of race, nationality, etc) and discourage those that are arguably the wrong people, those with low or below average IQ.

I can think of no policy a government can be involved in that would not be correctly termed an aggressive manipulation of fertility. The problem is, the government already has policies that manipulate fertility, and it is encouraging the wrong people to have children.

Now, my personal belief is that there should be no government, or an extremely limited one whose sole function is national defence. There should certainly not be a welfare state. My belief is that over time, those with greater skills and abilities will flourish in the free market, and those who have lesser abilities will not. Eventually, this will lead to a world populated in the main with those with above average and average IQ, by today's standards.

Obviously, there are objections to this - a lot of people don't like the idea of allowing people to simply die out if they are unwilling or unable to compete in a free market. It's certainly okay to think this in a free society. But I do not agree. I believe that artificially supporting those that are not able to support themselves detracts from higher living standards for all that could be achieved in only a few generations, where everyone has a good chance of being productive, and a lower chance of the type of suffering and serfdom that a welfare state inevitably, in my opinion, produces.

I think I love you. :coma:
Original post by B-Man.
Nope, I asked why Asians do better in IQ tests than their white counterparts, in response to someone who claimed that Whites do better than Blacks in IQ tests because they are culturally biased in favour of middle class Whites. So my question was asking how this explanation of cultural bias makes sense when considering that Asians do better than Whites.

Ahhh, right - I misinterpreted your question in the context it was asked. My bad. :colondollar:

That is an intruiging question, though... it will be interesting to think about. :holmes:

Thanks... *awkward moment*
Original post by Rennit
Typical Durham student. You'll fit in well.

You still avoid my question on the Physics applicants thread and that M2 thread lol. You can't argue at all, keep the massive chip on your shoulder and pretend everyone else is wrong though :biggrin:

Reply 73
Yes, they do. However, my point is that it's all very well having numerical statistics but without trying to explore the reasons why a study has shown what it has and the factors that influence studies, inaccurate conclusions can be drawn from the statistics.

I'd love to explore it in further details, but unfortunately anyone who tries to study it is hounded out of their job and will be completely ****ed.
Original post by NB_ide
I'd love to explore it in further details, but unfortunately anyone who tries to study it is hounded out of their job and will be completely ****ed.

Such are the limitations of life. :sigh:
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Yes... so the question is "Where do we go from here - somebody tell me please" (much like a lyrics to a song - I forget who it was by)?

Well?

(P.S. Scientifically proven? You mean statistical studies? Have there actually been MRIs, actual dissecting of brains, extensive studying and research like such?)

Circular problem isnt it. Ask you typical black teenager ( in the west) who they would most like to emulate, i would guess their answer would be "Lil- Wayne 50 cent or Malcolm X"

Is that attitude goiing to help dispel negative black sterotypes and see black kids acheiving in the academic realm?
Reply 76
Although this won't be very conclusive evidence, but I remember reading that a survey taken showed that blacks who grew up living with a good education/those adopted by wealthy parents, had IQs equal to whites and asians.
Reply 77
Original post by B-Man.

IQ tests are "culturally" biased in that one with 15 years of schooling is going to score better than some one with a lifetime of fishing in a remote village or collecting palm nuts in the interior jungle. In this sense, Chinese or Japansese culture is not so different from European culture but quite different from what might be seen in Africa.

Some of my Chinese friends at school also joked that "in China you need a maths degree to become a cleaner"- which suggests that their education is even more geared towards logic and learning than ours. The language and writing-style used by the Chinese, which is more pictographic and not so phonetically long, may also have a role to play in explaining the higher visuospatial but lower Asian verbal IQ- but that's just a thought of mine and not scientific evidence.

My personal opinion is that people are pretty much the same everywhere. :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
It's probably more an indication of wealth. Black people nn e US are generally poorer and the restriction to higher quality education, IMO, makes this divide in IQ higher.

I think it would be interesting if they took IQ tests from both races across a range of household incomes.
Original post by Blutooth
IQ tests are "culturally" biased in that one with 15 years of schooling is going to score better than some one with a lifetime of fishing in a remote village or collecting palm nuts in the interior jungle. In this sense, Chinese or Japansese culture is not so different from European culture but quite different from what might be seen in Africa.

I was thinking this also. I have some relatives who live in rural areas of Africa and it amazes me what they can do and make without technological aids and such like! :eek: I would certainly consider them as intelligent people even though I know that if they were to take an IQ test, even if it was in their language they would not do very well in it at all. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending