The Student Room Group

The Taboo of Science - "Black IQ".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Lots of demographics have statistically below average IQs, for example people with two or more elder siblings - does that mean there is anything to be done? No. We give them the same opportunities and treatment as everybody else.

Whether black people were predisposed to have lower IQs or not, this would not be grounds for discrimination.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by whyumadtho
The rule that suggests ethnicity is delineated by ethnicity when it is clearly individually surmountable.

?

As I said in our last discussion, I find it laughable that you can tell me that I have no control over how hard I work or what I choose to learn because other people who I do not know and have never encountered try/don't try hard. Extrapolate this to every other individual and you will understand why I think like I do.

I've never even come close to telling you this, sorry.

It depends on their willingness to work, which is another thing that is not delineated by ethnicity and is individualised.

Then why delineate by ethnicity?

To those who study it, it's interesting and relevant - some people like to think about man and his differences. To you, it's perhaps boring and pointless.

My decision to work is not influenced by the actions of people I do not know and have never encountered.

correct. What an utterly bizarre thing to mention.

I can't choose to become taller, but I can choose to dedicate my time to learning something.

Well, that's a complicated issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will ....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by NB_ide
You mean when you never said this:

? :confused:

As I pointed out, was disagreeing with the thread title
People are ignorant.if you go to an underdeveloped country where a large chunk of the population is illiterate, how do you expect them to fare on a test. Those from countries where education is more easily accessible will obviously do better.
Original post by NB_ide
?
What?

I've never even come close to telling you this, sorry.
But you're telling me my academic performance is out of my control, or is 'strongly influenced' by my genetic intelligence. How am I precluded/what precludes me from learning anything?

To those who study it, it's interesting and relevant - some people like to think about man and his differences. To you, it's perhaps boring and pointless.
Only because I function at the level of the individual and find it laughable that somebody is telling me that because I am of X ethnicity, I am biologically unable/find it harder to achieve academically relative to other people.

correct. What an utterly bizarre thing to mention.
Then why advocate the delineation of intelligence by ethnicity when you are grouping people who are socially unrelated?

Well, that's a complicated issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will ....
What is stopping me?
Reply 125
Original post by vedderfan94
Because you know I'm right.

/discussion

because I know you're a dick.:banana2:
Original post by Rennit
because I know you're a dick.:banana2:

No, it's because the best reply you have is an overused meme (it's "too long; didn't read." actually). You claim I'm ignorant, but you don't read my post. You only see what you want to see.
x

Original post by Rennit
x

vedderfan94 - clearly a bit racist.
Rennit - attacking the arguer and not the argument.
See what I did there? :wink:
How about you two bond over your negative cohesion towards me? Go on - kiss and make up.
Original post by When you see it...
How about you two bond over your negative cohesion towards me? Go on - kiss and make up.

How am I racist? All I did was state the results of studies. If someone wants to go into depth about neuroscience, go ahead.
How am I racist? All I did was state the results of studies. If someone wants to go into depth about neuroscience, go ahead.

I inferred from your post that you though black people were less intellgent. I accept (although I haven't checked this out for myself) that they generally have lower IQs, but they count for **** all.
(edited 11 years ago)
I inferred from your post that you though black people were less intellgent. I accept (although I haven't checked this out for myself) that they generally have lower IQs, but they count for **** all.

Well whether they are less intelligent or not, I can't say. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I just remember reading a discussion once on this topic of lower IQs where someone didn't believe that black people had a lower average IQ. Obviously, there is a lot of controversy and discussion on the accuracy of IQ tests though.
Well whether they are less intelligent or not, I can't say. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I just remember reading a discussion once on this topic of lower IQs where someone didn't believe that black people had a lower average IQ. Obviously, there is a lot of controversy and discussion on the accuracy of IQ tests though.

I'm glad that you don't think that IQ tests are in some way 'scientific' as you implied with your first post.
Reply 132

Vedderfan is too far up his own **** to listen to anyone else :smile: He's all Durham is the best omg its better than Oxbridge wtfbbqlolroflharrytruman.

If i were to really attack the argument, its that IQ tests are a load of rubbish. There will be slight variances in genetic IQ, but it shall mainly be through culturual differences. Blacks guy in white culture= same average IQ as a white person in a white culture.

Vedderfan seems to think that White people (Specifically those who go to Durham) are superior and should inherit the Earth :smile:
Original post by Rennit
Vedderfan is too far up his own **** to listen to anyone else :smile: He's all Durham is the best omg its better than Oxbridge wtfbbqlolroflharrytruman.

If i were to really attack the argument, its that IQ tests are a load of rubbish. There will be slight variances in genetic IQ, but it shall mainly be through culturual differences. Blacks guy in white culture= same average IQ as a white person in a white culture.

Vedderfan seems to think that White people (Specifically those who go to Durham) are superior and should inherit the Earth :smile:

Or maybe you think that vedderfan thinks that (WTF does vedderfan even mean just out of interest). :wink:
I agree with you about IQ tests though. Even aside from the cultural aspect, they are a load of ****. I googled some yesterday after seeing this thread and, despite the survey-block's best attempts, I was able to take a few of them. The questions are ridiculous. Seriously, just look at some.
Original post by aliluvschoc
It's also been proven that all tests that have "scientifically proven" this, are geared towards the white middle class male and his style of learning.

That's possible. But whatever the test measures it is a fact certain racial groups score on average lower than others. It has also been proven that, whatever the test measures, it is correlated with certain traits that are considered desirable.
Reply 135
why does it even matter when there's variation in all races?
Reply 136
Original post by funkydee
why does it even matter when there's variation in all races?

Is there reason to worry if all [insert skin colour here] people failed GCSE maths and english, but all [insert other skin colour here] people got A*s? The same principle applies here, there's a difference that is undesirable which may have an identifiable and fixable cause.
Reply 137
Original post by Hopple
Is there reason to worry if all [insert skin colour here] people failed GCSE maths and english, but all [insert other skin colour here] people got A*s? The same principle applies here, there's a difference that is undesirable which may have an identifiable and fixable cause.

but failing gcse's could be due to the school?

and is the difference really that distinct?
Reply 138
Original post by funkydee
but failing gcse's could be due to the school?

and is the difference really that distinct?

No, it isn't that distinct, but it's the same principle. And yes, different schools are a variable that could be at least partially to blame.
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
We still have this nonsense circulating in mainstream culture. Personally, I myself, like a few others, come from a culture and background that differs sharply with where a large majority of 'black' people in the West come from - hence why such statements that 'blacks have a lower IQ than whites' seems silly and like child's play to me etc. But, clearly some believe it to be genetically and inherently true and whatnot.

So, in an effort to see where this eagerness to make it true stems from, a few simply questions and premises are thrown out:

So, let us assume that not only do 'blacks have a lower IQ than whites', but that it is seemingly genetic and inherent.

Now, having established this, what do we do now? Do we take the black children out of schools? Not bother interviewing the blacks for top jobs? Give the blacks preferential treatment in our criminal courts? Or rather, round them up? Build concentration camps maybe? Or send every last black out of the West?

Clearly, what I'm trying to ask (through asking such offensive and direct questions) is that - what do such theories and studies about the link between race and intelligence seek to prove? Does it rather seek to further sever racial relations; further undermine any academic achievement of the young 'black' people? Encourage an inferiority complex in 'blacks'?

What do you think?

(ALERT, ALERT: Clearly, many of you replying have low IQs (lol, a pun, calm down). This post is laden with sarcasm. I personally do not believe any of the examples mentioned in the post. I even take the statement 'Blacks have a lower IQ than whites' with a pinch of salt much like I would take the statement 'First-year university students go out more than the general population' with a pinch of salt.)

Yeah, for people who consider this area of 'research' important, those solutions you've given are pretty much it.

They would frame it, though, as needing to 'direct social policy so as to make it more accurately reflect the needs and demands of the target group'.

I haven't got a bloody clue what they expect us to take that as meaning, aside from what you've said, tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending