Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anybody know any international credit cards..?

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So im going to be traveling from October for around a year does anyone know any credit cards which are optimised for foreign currency transactions as the ones i currently have will completely pummel me in exchange rates and service fees -_-
    If it helps it'll need to be used for the New Zealand Dollar, Australian Dollar, US Dollar, Russian Ruble and the Euro primarily the first two though.
    Thanks alot!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not just open an account in the country and transfer the money you are going to spend to that account? I know with the US it is possible with Citibank by opening the account in the UK with the London branch, a Euro account is easy as pie with DKB.de if you don't have a good few thousand to transfer, it is easier to go for that bank than with DB.

I can't help with Australia, New Zealand or Russia although I really want to open a Russian bank account, I just have no idea what I am looking at, not a current account (Текущие счета) to be found :sad:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use the Caxton card which is fantastic for Euros. The exchange rate is very decent, no withdrawal fees abroad, and the customer service is good - I e-mailed them about something and got a response within 5 minutes, it was great as I was in a hurry. I know they do a dollar card and a Euro card, I'm not sure what the situation would be with multiple currencies though, I can imagine it would be difficult to find a card that lets you get out multiple currencies without silly fees. Worth e-mailing the Caxton people about that though, there's a chance you could do it for reasonable rates with them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Why not just open an account in the country and transfer the money you are going to spend to that account? I know with the US it is possible with Citibank by opening the account in the UK with the London branch, a Euro account is easy as pie with DKB.de if you don't have a good few thousand to transfer, it is easier to go for that bank than with DB.

I can't help with Australia, New Zealand or Russia although I really want to open a Russian bank account, I just have no idea what I am looking at, not a current account (Текущие счета) to be found :sad:
    (Original post by conway!)
    I use the Caxton card which is fantastic for Euros. The exchange rate is very decent, no withdrawal fees abroad, and the customer service is good - I e-mailed them about something and got a response within 5 minutes, it was great as I was in a hurry. I know they do a dollar card and a Euro card, I'm not sure what the situation would be with multiple currencies though, I can imagine it would be difficult to find a card that lets you get out multiple currencies without silly fees. Worth e-mailing the Caxton people about that though, there's a chance you could do it for reasonable rates with them.
    Both pretty poor options.

Either open a bank account with Norwich and Peterborough or Metro Bank (if you live in London), or get an Aqua Reward, Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select credit card.

All have zero foreign exchange fees. N&P and Halifax Clarity also have zero ATM charges (though you'll be paying interest on the cash withdrawal on the Halifax card until you pay it off).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)

Either open a bank account with Norwich and Peterborough or Metro Bank (if you live in London), or get an Aqua Reward, Halifax Clarity or Nationwide Select credit card.

All have zero foreign exchange fees. N&P and Halifax Clarity also have zero ATM charges (though you'll be paying interest on the cash withdrawal on the Halifax card until you pay it off).
    Second the Halifax Clarity card. I used it when I was abroad in the USA for a few months last year, and it saved me a *lot* of money. Pretty quick to apply for, and you should get a decent credit limit too (I got £1250, which sounds like nothing, but then it was my frist credit card and the only "salary" I have is my PhD grant which isn't the biggest in the world...)
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    How so? I guess if you only have a thousand it is pointless to open a bank account in a country you regularly visit unless you get paid X€/RUB/$ into that account every month and/or go regularly to that country or Eurozone (in case for Euro).

Personally I have German and Swiss accounts purely so I can get the Miles and More Credit Card (which I cannot get in this country for some stupid reason), French one because it was the first account I had and I have a UK Student account. I would love a Russian account but like I said above, it appears to be a lot of hassle if you cannot work out the different types of account.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    How so? I guess if you only have a thousand it is pointless to open a bank account in a country you regularly visit unless you get paid X€/RUB/$ into that account every month and/or go regularly to that country or Eurozone (in case for Euro).

Personally I have German and Swiss accounts purely so I can get the Miles and More Credit Card (which I cannot get in this country for some stupid reason), French one because it was the first account I had and I have a UK Student account. I would love a Russian account but like I said above, it appears to be a lot of hassle if you cannot work out the different types of account.
    For the exact reason you just said - unless you have an income (or in your case, the credit card - assuming it isn't ripping you off in exchange rate fees while you're in the UK) in that country, it's pointless to have a bank account there.

You suggested they opened an account in a foreign country then transfer money over to it - which then incurs a variety of transfer fees and poor exchange rates. It makes much more sense to just open an account in your home country then use that wherever you go - one bank account perfect for use anywhere in the world with zero fees.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 2, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.