Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Signing a contract

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was looking through the job section on GumTree, and I replied to ads by sending my CV. I got an e-mail saying I got one of the jobs I applied for but the person (I assume my future boss) says I have to sign a contract. I was only looking for a summer job, so what if the contract is 6 months? Can I just leave in September? What could the consequences of this be?

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should only have to sign a contract after an interview and discussion of your rights/what your job will entail. Are you sure he wasn't talking about future plans? Some advice: don't give them any bank account/debit card or other important personal details (besides those listed on your CV) until you have met them, filled out some forms and got the job. They won't need your card details until they need to pay you and if they ask for them straight away then something unprofessional is probably going on.

If it is legit and you do sign a contract then leaving before the end date is a breach of contract and could get you into trouble. They could refuse to pay you or mess you around in other ways and you'll lose them as a valuable reference for future work, listing them on your CV as experience would then become risky in case your next employer chooses to check up on you using it. Maybe if they are set on writing up a contract try to find out about their rules on 'giving notice'? Or explain to them that you're specifically looking for a summer job but would be willing to work lots of hours.

Gumtree can be a little dodgy sometimes so take care with how you continue. Is the company reputable/known? Have they discussed pay or tax? If it's cash in hand be careful don't do it as it could get you into a lot of trouble and you won't be able to claim against them if they screw you over. Hope you get yourself sorted anyway
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    You should only have to sign a contract after an interview and discussion of your rights/what your job will entail. Are you sure he wasn't talking about future plans? Some advice: don't give them any bank account/debit card or other important personal details (besides those listed on your CV) until you have met them, filled out some forms and got the job. They won't need your card details until they need to pay you and if they ask for them straight away then something unprofessional is probably going on.

If it is legit and you do sign a contract then leaving before the end date is a breach of contract and could get you into trouble. They could refuse to pay you or mess you around in other ways and you'll lose them as a valuable reference for future work, listing them on your CV as experience would then become risky in case your next employer chooses to check up on you using it. Maybe if they are set on writing up a contract try to find out about their rules on 'giving notice'? Or explain to them that you're specifically looking for a summer job but would be willing to work lots of hours.

Gumtree can be a little dodgy sometimes so take care with how you continue. Is the company reputable/known? Have they discussed pay or tax? If it's cash in hand be careful don't do it as it could get you into a lot of trouble and you won't be able to claim against them if they screw you over. Hope you get yourself sorted anyway
    OMG ! Thanks for that! I I googled this ''UKASH'' thing the e-mail was talking about and got this:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...3122412AA7LPQn

its a damn scam! The e-mail I got was nearly identical to the e-mail in the above link! Thanks a lot! I would have probably paid 50£ to do a CRB check :facepalm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)
    OMG ! Thanks for that! I I googled this ''UKASH'' thing the e-mail was talking about and got this:

its a damn scam! The e-mail I got was nearly identical to the e-mail in the above link! Thanks a lot! I would have probably paid 50£ to do a CRB check :facepalm:
    Glad to have helped Just remember my advice in future. Good luck with your job hunt!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    Glad to have helped Just remember my advice in future. Good luck with your job hunt!
    I will! , and thanks!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

haha anyone who asks for payment via UKASH or bitcoins is almost unilaterally going to be up to no good, theres no real reason for someone to be using annonymous payment services like that :L
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    haha anyone who asks for payment via UKASH or bitcoins is almost unilaterally going to be up to no good, theres no real reason for someone to be using annonymous payment services like that :L
    I never heard of UKASH before this! lol
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never heard of UKASH before this! lol
    Exactly, the only way people usually find out about these payment methods is when they wish to remain annonymous and for people not to trace the money which only leaves one conclusion really theres a good reason the silk road only takes Bitcoins [very similar to UKASH]

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.