The Student Room Group

My friends want to go camping...

This year, my friends are all really enthusiastic about camping.

Thing is, I hate camping. It's taken them by surprise a bit because I'm a nature photographer, but I'm the sort that does their bit and then retires to the B&B. I hate sleeping in a sleeping bag and sleeping outside in a tent, can't stand food cooked on a fire or little gas stove, I'm not especially fond of using an outside toilet...

Should I just suck it up and go camping, or should I push for a more mutually acceptable holiday to be arranged?

Scroll to see replies

Bump.
Reply 2
Horrible things happen during camping.

After watching films like hatchet, friday the 13th, etc, I wouldn't feel safe going camping :frown:
Reply 3
First World Problems.
Reply 4
Depends how long you need to endure it for, and the weather. Last year I did my d of e silver and it rained for the full 3 days. Why camp when you could just stay in a B&B?

Although saying that if my friends were going camping, as long as it was going to be sunny and hot, I think it would be pretty fun FOR A SHORT TIME.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tamimi
First World Problems.

Given that you need internet to access this site, pretty much everything on here will be a first world problem.
Reply 6
Just go camping. The main thing is that you're friends are going. Its honestly not that bad. Just make sure you have a good tent and sleeping bag.
Original post by *Hakz*
Horrible things happen during camping.

After watching films like hatchet, friday the 13th, etc, I wouldn't feel safe going camping :frown:

You are very exposed when camping!

Original post by benten17
Although saying that if my friends were going camping, as long as it was going to be sunny and hot, I think it would be pretty fun FOR A SHORT TIME.

Original post by Kj91
Just go camping. The main thing is that you're friends are going. Its honestly not that bad. Just make sure you have a good tent and sleeping bag.

I do want to go on holiday with my friends ... but I just ****ing hate camping. I wouldn't mind if someone had a caravan or something, but it will be tents, gas stoves, toilet pits and sleeping bags... :frown:
Reply 8
Honestly, things like camping are popular because they're "fake hardships" - you bond better with people if you have to work hard to get food cooked, fires lit, shelter built. I believe it's called "character-building"
Original post by TheSownRose
Given that you need internet to access this site, pretty much everything on here will be a first world problem.

kids gotta point
Original post by Arekkusu
Honestly, things like camping are popular because they're "fake hardships" - you bond better with people if you have to work hard to get food cooked, fires lit, shelter built. I believe it's called "character-building"

Are you in favour of the camping or not...? I can't figure it out. :colondollar:

I like my character soft and doughy. :frown:
oooh i'm the complete opposite i love the outdoors! camping is my favourite kind of holiday, you may surprise yourself how much fun it can be , your friends will suport you,and getting drenched by the rain, lost on the way to the toilet and eating the inedible food :smile: provides good memories!, i'd push for at least atending the local pub eat night as there is nothing like a warm fire and beer. just take lots of warm layers and if you dont like the sleeping bag ( i sometimes sleep in it at home because its really warm) oppen it up and take a quilt and or blankets :biggrin: have a nice holiday :biggrin:
Reply 12
Suck it up. You might enjoy it.

What are you going to be doing whilst camping?
This is an important thing to it.

Personally I love camping. I would live in a tent if I could.
I hate camping too, but went anyway last year. It actually wasn't too bad, despite it pissing it down every night, our leaky tent, the lack of clean clothes and the fact a fluorescent Pot Noodle was spilt all over my clothes.

I endured it for a week, but it wasn't actually that bad as everyone's the same. Plus we went to Cornwall and spent the week at the beach.

That said, I'm rather glad we're staying in a hotel when going to France this year.
Reply 14
Original post by Robinson's_Crusade
Are you in favour of the camping or not...? I can't figure it out. :colondollar:

I like my character soft and doughy. :frown:

Lol yeah I am, camp outs are some of the most fun times I've had with my friends :smile:
Well, you can either suck it up and tolerate the bad parts for the good parts with your friends, or miss out on going away with them. Which sounds better to you?
Reply 16
have you ever done the duke of edinburgh ?
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Well, you can either suck it up and tolerate the bad parts for the good parts with your friends, or miss out on going away with them. Which sounds better to you?

Honestly, the latter - I really do hate camping. Alternatively, I could try and persuade them to go for a different holiday...

Original post by ZeeAli
have you ever done the duke of edinburgh ?

No, it involved many things I don't like (such as this. :biggrin:)
I hate it too, I feel like you can't get properly clean when your camping. I agree with the person above, it depends on how long for. My parents used to take us camping for ridiculous lengths of time like 2 weeks but I told them years ago that I could bear that any more. If it is only a couple of nights then I would tolerate it for a good social, I went last year for one night night and it was ok but I was still freezing all night and I didnt really see why we couldnt do the same thing but in a building. It is better if you are drinking every night to help with the sleeping. I would suggest doing something else but if they really want to do it I wouldnt want to miss out.
Take loads of alcohol and you will have a nice fun camping holiday with friends :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending