The Student Room Group

What are you NOT looking forward to at university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JammyChoos
Liver Failure

Original post by jaadau121
snobby posh twits

:rofl:

EDIT : Negged ? roflmao
(edited 11 years ago)
Missing my family and friends, as well as the whole prospect of finding new friends. I'm also a bit worried about the pranks that I've heard about from my brother's time at uni. I also hope I like my course because I've not studied Anthropology specifically before, and it's not as 'popular' as others.
The fact I'm 17, don't like drinking and can't afford to live away from home - yip, getting a social life'll be a challenge.
Having just completed freshers I thought I'd come up with a few solutions for typical problems:

-workload/not liking course
It is quite normal for universities to ease you into work so initially this is unlikely to be a problem. It often takes time before people decide to switch course but if things aren’t going right, you’ll know. Try and go to as many lectures as possible but missing the odd 9am isn’t going to hurt! You are in freshers year so enjoy it while it lasts!

-meeting with flatmates
Try to be as sociable as possible and make an effort to talk to all of your flatmates as these are the people you are going to have to live with. I was put in a flat with the most diverse set of students and became friends with people I would never have expected to. Naturally, you won’t get along with everybody but this is pretty common.

-worried about going out in freshers week
My best advice would be to participate in what you want to and not to do anything you feel uncomfortable with. Not everyone at uni will want to go out every night so don’t feel pressured into it. By all means, go crazy if you really want to but freshers week is often a poor representation of what uni life is actually like. You won’t have time to party every night and it takes time before you start making real friends.

-cooking/doing stuff your parents usually do for you
Most people go for simple meals- stuff like pizzas/pasta (the student food) but it’s worth experimenting a bit if you get time. It’s quite funny to see how much you and your flatmates actually know! We had someone in our flat who had never cooked an egg before! You’ll soon learn to appreciate that menial tasks like washing clothes/going shopping can end up being a bit of a hassle but you get used to them. Best advice would be to sort out cleaning rules with your flat early on so it doesn’t end up in a mess and you all contribute equally.

-finances
Be prepared to spend extra money during freshers week as you’ll need it for nights out/joining societies etc. It will soon become apparent how much you’ll need to get by and it’s good to have some level of control. Many students end up deep into their overdrafts (myself included) which is okay but be sure not to waste it all away in first term.
Original post by anna-chipie 95
i know this sounds a bit weird and sad but- making friends.
sometimes i think "hell yeah i'll make loads!" but other times i think i'll arrive in my room, sit on my bed and shake and quiver at the prospect of people coming into my room.

also- i don't really do the whole drinking scene, so i dont fancy being dragged out to bars etc in freshers week.
oh yeah, and- my subject is quite 'unpopular' in the sense that not many people do it (yup its languages) and the other people in my year doing it may be humungous w*****s.

making friends is something that everyone fears. whether you are very sociable or shy and reserved everyone starts in the same position. no body knows anyone and that is the beauty of it. you can be anyone you wanna be and it's how much you put into it that depends what your uni experience is like. I had very little drinking experience before uni too. I had never been on a night out before and the only proper alcoholic drink I had bought at a bar was a vodka and coke at prom. So being sudddenly introduced into the different and intimidating world of society socials, clubbing, pre drinking and flat parties was terrifying for me. I was so out of my comfort zone at first and it took some time to get used to it and enjoy it. I would recommend finding a few friends that you are comfortable with and have things in common with and then explore. that's what I did. slowly my friends introduced me into the world of clubs and bars and I soon enjoyed it. there is no rush. don't do anything that you are uncomfortable with just because you feel the pressure to. just take your time and you will find people that share your interests and hobbies. there are so many people at uni from different backgrounds and personalities and you will find people that you click with and have things in common with. it just takes time.
I don't drink and I don't smoke. Worried that will alienate me somewhat. I'm also slightly averse to discussing academic stuff with people. Being thick, an' all. Oh, and I am particularly concerned people won't get my sense of humour and my sarcasm. I have actually experienced both these situations and man, is it awkward. :doh:
Reply 106
Worried that, because I've had a year out, I'll have forgotten everything my course is about and fail :s-smilie:
Reply 107
The idea that I could come out with less than a 2:1. Sounds all sad and grim but dats the way the world works apparently...
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Not to me, but generally people ask me if I'm going off to eat "s-cones" and drink tea with the Queen etc because I'm supposed to have a posh accent. People associate it with being posh. Really? My grandparents and two of my aunts live in Yorkshire and they definitely don't say "scone-as-in-rhymes-with-cone", neither do any other people with Yorkshire accents who I've met.

Ooh, how strange. I think i've spoken to you before, and I think I remember your relatives living close to where I live, so even stranger. I don't have a typical Yorkshire accent but the people around me who say it that way certainly do! I work in a bakery so tomorrow I think i'm going to keep track of numbers of each pronunciation :tongue:
Original post by juliewho
Ooh, how strange. I think i've spoken to you before, and I think I remember your relatives living close to where I live, so even stranger. I don't have a typical Yorkshire accent but the people around me who say it that way certainly do! I work in a bakery so tomorrow I think i'm going to keep track of numbers of each pronunciation :tongue:

Yeah, didn't we speak on the UEA thing or something? Hmm, well, you'd know better than me, seeing as you actually live there, but my grandparents don't pronounce it like that. :smile: Don't know why I'm being so petty about this actually. :lol: It's no big deal, who cares how you pronounce something? Haha, you should. Me and my friend had this debate a few years ago and we asked loads of people, because we were sad little children. :lol:
Yeah, didn't we speak on the UEA thing or something? Hmm, well, you'd know better than me, seeing as you actually live there, but my grandparents don't pronounce it like that. :smile: Don't know why I'm being so petty about this actually. :lol: It's no big deal, who cares how you pronounce something? Haha, you should. Me and my friend had this debate a few years ago and we asked loads of people, because we were sad little children. :lol:

Yeah, that could have been it, but I see you floating around everywhere (distinctive username!) so it could have been anywhere, really. It's not a big issue but it's intriguing, I didn't know that my pronunciation was percieved as posh and now I want to know what the people of Yorkshire use more frequently. My god, I am sad. :cool: At least you did this when you were younger and it was more socially acceptable!
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Worried that I might not even make my grades lol. And if I do, the massive let down when I realise it wasn't all it was drummed up to be. Then when I graduate in 2015 and realise the economy was in a worse position than when I started, hopefully Labour get in that year and implement some Keynesian economics :biggrin:

We all love inflation.
Original post by juliewho
Yeah, that could have been it, but I see you floating around everywhere (distinctive username!) so it could have been anywhere, really. It's not a big issue but it's intriguing, I didn't know that my pronunciation was percieved as posh and now I want to know what the people of Yorkshire use more frequently. My god, I am sad. :cool: At least you did this when you were younger and it was more socially acceptable!

I do kind of float around TSR. :lol: It's not that sad, it's a social experiment. It's perceived as posh where I live, although once I told my friend I was going to Yorkshire in the holidays, she put on a really posh accent and started teasing me. When she finished laughing I just said "I'm going to Doncaster." And I got a very blank look. There are some weird ideas up here about what is and isn't posh. :lol:
Original post by amylea_94
Business cards are a brilliant idea :top:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

You must be crazy.

Or maybe there was sarcasm.
- the possibility of having messy flatmates
- the possibility of not liking my flatmates
-Flatmates using my foor or cooking stuff :angry:
- Missing my bf
- Missing my horse
- Being crap at my subject and failing
- tummy rumbling in lectures
- Not having a clue what the hell is being talked about in lectures

Just a few :biggrin:
Sharing/living with overly-unhygienic people.
To be honest, I'm probably going to be the messy flatmate everyone hates. I always intend to do things and then forget about them. Wouldn't leave food to go mouldy in the kitchen though. That's just nasty.
To be honest, I'm probably going to be the messy flatmate everyone hates. I always intend to do things and then forget about them. Wouldn't leave food to go mouldy in the kitchen though. That's just nasty.

That's different.

Your room can be as messy as you want it to be, but if someone in the kitchen is making a big mess and not bothering to clean it up, then that will piss me off.
Original post by anna-chipie 95
i know this sounds a bit weird and sad but- making friends.
sometimes i think "hell yeah i'll make loads!" but other times i think i'll arrive in my room, sit on my bed and shake and quiver at the prospect of people coming into my room.

also- i don't really do the whole drinking scene, so i dont fancy being dragged out to bars etc in freshers week.
oh yeah, and- my subject is quite 'unpopular' in the sense that not many people do it (yup its languages) and the other people in my year doing it may be humungous w*****s.

i do languages and i find it hard to make friends with anyone on my course
Original post by Chillywilly93
i do languages and i find it hard to make friends with anyone on my course

is it cos they're annoying people?

or is it cos theres nobody else :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending