Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask A guy whos moving to Thailand anything!

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harvie_316)
    thanks, I hope you it can inspire you to do what you want

there actually quite hot the ones who put effort into it! sky1 did a series on ladyboys you should check it out, its pretty good.
    lol.

seriously though, leaving britain has been on my mind for a while now. how do you plan to support yourself?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    are you going to bring back a thai wife
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    lol.

seriously though, leaving britain has been on my mind for a while now. how do you plan to support yourself?
    I saved up from my last job, I have a degree so teaching is always an option. Other then that im just going to live off my savings, then when it runs out ill come back and work
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    i did mention it in my blog post if people read.
    Sorry didn't check your blog, will have a look.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I hate to put a dampener on things because I'm sure you'll have an amazing time in Thailand, but your blog post is probably one of the most pompous and cliched things I've read around these parts in a while. You seem to have quite a few issues with how society works (for example, the fact that, surprisingly, people have to work sometimes for the world to actually work), and have expressed these in some bizarrely hostile manners such as the following extracts:

"Skills such as arse licking and backstabbing colleagues, I’m sure many of you have mastered these or been subjected to at some point."

and

"So what? Ill just come back, not much will have changed, most of you just be in the same routine, doing the same stuff. The only thing that will be different is that you may have bought a new sofa or TV, and the England football team will still be s***"

Is this blog some sort of outlet for your ranting having been told by peers that the move is unwise?

You pompously lambast people for being "un-cultured half-wits" before acknowledging that your main reasons for going to Thailand include the beaches and the women. Cultured, much?

I have met many a person on my travels in their early-to-mid 30s who have spent quite a few years essentially doing what you're planning and often tell stories about hanging out in beach towns amongst other ex-pats because they're "too cool for the real world", and to me it's quite clear that they are just running away from real responsibility. And ironically, for people who seem to think they are living their life-long dream, they aren't half boring to be around.

Sorry for the negative post, it's really not in my nature; but it just seems like this thread was an attempt to draw attention to some sort of weirdly cliched 'carpe diem' philosophy gone extreme that your own resentment towards society is pedaling.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    I'm sorry, I hate to put a dampener on things because I'm sure you'll have an amazing time in Thailand, but your blog post is probably one of the most pompous and cliched things I've read around these parts in a while. You seem to have quite a few issues with how society works (for example, the fact that, surprisingly, people have to work sometimes for the world to actually work), and have expressed these in some bizarrely hostile manners such as the following extracts:

"Skills such as arse licking and backstabbing colleagues, I’m sure many of you have mastered these or been subjected to at some point."

and

"So what? Ill just come back, not much will have changed, most of you just be in the same routine, doing the same stuff. The only thing that will be different is that you may have bought a new sofa or TV, and the England football team will still be s***"

Is this blog some sort of outlet for your ranting having been told by peers that the move is unwise?

You pompously lambast people for being "un-cultured half-wits" before acknowledging that your main reasons for going to Thailand include the beaches and the women. Cultured, much?

I have met many a person on my travels in their early-to-mid 30s who have spent quite a few years essentially doing what you're planning and often tell stories about hanging out in beach towns amongst other ex-pats because they're "too cool for the real world", and to me it's quite clear that they are just running away from real responsibility. And ironically, for people who seem to think they are living their life-long dream, they aren't half boring to be around.

Sorry for the negative post, it's really not in my nature; but it just seems like this thread was an attempt to draw attention to some sort of weirdly cliched 'carpe diem' philosophy gone extreme that your own resentment towards society is pedaling.
    I'd rather be someone running away from responsibility than someone who's stuck in the rat race for the rest of their lives. You can work in some crappy job and have your responsibility, I'll have my ocean paradise.

As for you, OP, good on you. Don't let none of these downers ruin your ambitions. And I hope you have fun, I'll be watching your blog!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    I'd rather be someone running away from responsibility than someone who's stuck in the rat race for the rest of their lives. You can work in some crappy job and have your responsibility, I'll have my ocean paradise.

As for you, OP, good on you. Don't let none of these downers ruin your ambitions. And I hope you have fun, I'll be watching your blog!
    Since when was Thailand any form of paradise?

People are simply delusional. The grass is not greener on the other side. I guess in part we have media to blame. When you think of Barbados you think of beautiful beaches --- not the reality where a few hundred metres from the wealthiest hotel is a shantay town.

Don't do this OP. You will live to regret it wholeheartedly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    and to me it's quite clear that they are just running away from real responsibility.
    your right, I am, responsibility is way overrated.

Also dont take my blog so seriously, im not!
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Since when was Thailand any form of paradise?

People are simply delusional. The grass is not greener on the other side. I guess in part we have media to blame. When you think of Barbados you think of beautiful beaches --- not the reality where a few hundred metres from the wealthiest hotel is a shantay town.

Don't do this OP. You will live to regret it wholeheartedly.
    I never said thailand was paradise, paradise is in the mind and soul, regardless of weather your on a beach or in an office.

I think if I worked in an office or some other industry for the majority of my self, i would regret too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)

Believe me, getting to the age of 35 and only having a few years working in a few random bars when you're supposedly "degree educated" is not all it's cracked up to be.

Whilst we're at it, not everyone who accepts responsibility is "working a crappy job" nor are they "stuck in the rat race". I'm graduating this year and have had numerous positions abroad and am beginning another one in September. I'm gaining professional experience abroad and travelling at the same time; hardly the wind and grind of daily existence, but nor is it the a extreme swing towards hedonistic irresponsibility. Like I said, not wanting to put a dampener on things, but I'm a realist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, getting to the age of 35 and only having a few years working in a few random bars when you're supposedly "degree educated" is not all it's cracked up to be.

Whilst we're at it, not everyone who accepts responsibility is "working a crappy job" nor are they "stuck in the rat race". I'm graduating this year and have had numerous positions abroad and am beginning another one in September. I'm gaining professional experience abroad and travelling at the same time; hardly the wind and grind of daily existence, but nor is it the a extreme swing towards hedonistic irresponsibility. Like I said, not wanting to put a dampener on things, but I'm a realist.
    sounds great to me, I wish I could get something like that for my next job. But ive worked for 15months, saved alot of money, now its time for me to just enjoy and relax till it runs out. You are making some over exaggeration about being 35 and only having bar work exp. Don't forget im only 24, and we could count this pretty much as a "gap year" if you wanted.

If I learn something from this, I dont think ill regret it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    good on you man

heres some literature i recommend you read, but by the sounds of things you have already!

How to be free/ How to be idle- Tom hodgkinson
    The Dice Man- Luke Rhinehart (excellent book that will make you want to escape life forever)
    Lights out in wonderland - DBC Pierre (A book about the consumer society and how it, as you say, never allows us to live our lives in the present)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

and

i think OP realises that people need to work for the world to work, but not at the rate that people currently do. Cityboys dont need to do 70 hours a week to keep the world spinning, they do it so they can get a Porsche/Rolex/their own sense of accomplishment. If we could eliminate greed and materialism, every single person would be content with their lives. Its the feeling of being left behind that causes depression and drives people to work so much and feel guilty
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sounds great to me, I wish I could get something like that for my next job. But ive worked for 15months, saved alot of money, now its time for me to just enjoy and relax till it runs out. You are making some over exaggeration about being 35 and only having bar work exp. Don't forget im only 24, and we could count this pretty much as a "gap year" if you wanted.

If I learn something from this, I dont think ill regret it.
    Yeah, it's an extreme example I know, but I'm just speaking from experience; I have been in bars in exotic locations before that were full of people doing exactly that. No real goals, no real ambitions...maybe they were happy but it just seemed quite a sad way to live to me.

I think if you want to just go out and have an adventure in Thailand then I wholeheartedly support that; I'm totally in favour of being adventurous and have no plans to 'settle down' quite yet either (I'm 22). And you've earnt that money, so definitely, if you think in Thailand you can spend it and be happy etc., then go for it. My comment came merely because from the way that your blog reads it sounded to me like you needed a bit of reality check.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillywilly93)
    good on you man

heres some literature i recommend you read, but by the sounds of things you have already!

How to be free/ How to be idle- Tom hodgkinson
    The Dice Man- Luke Rhinehart (excellent book that will make you want to escape life forever)
    Lights out in wonderland - DBC Pierre (A book about the consumer society and how it, as you say, never allows us to live our lives in the present)
    thanks so much, i will defo look into them. Simliar books im sure you may have read.

The power of now - Ekharte Tolle
    Awearness - Antony De Mello
    A new Earth - Ekharte Tolle

I have many more books on the same stuff, but im not at home so can give you more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    . My comment came merely because from the way that your blog reads it sounded to me like you needed a bit of reality check.
    Other people have said this true, you may be right, if you and the others are, I hope I do get it. Sooner the better.

Yeah, it's an extreme example I know, but I'm just speaking from experience; I have been in bars in exotic locations before that were full of people doing exactly that. No real goals, no real ambitions...maybe they were happy but it just seemed quite a sad way to live .
    each too there own, too some sad would be working the daily grind till your 65, end up in some reitrement home were your kids see you once a week. And you have the daily battle of running to the toilet before soiling oneself. (extreme POV). But some people love status money and other stuff, having a solid career, goals, and all that jazz. each too there own, but I think its a bit unfair for anyone to call anyone else life or goals "sad". Its all relative to the person.

I do like your post though Jon, most people are saying different too what you are, so its good to here all parts, I think ill quote yo in my next blog post!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never said thailand was paradise, paradise is in the mind and soul, regardless of weather your on a beach or in an office.

I think if I worked in an office or some other industry for the majority of my self, i would regret too.
    It's not about working in an office. You don't have to do that. Be an entrepreneur or go get a degree and do something you love!

You will find nothing in Thailand about from shredded hope and bitter disappointment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    It's not about working in an office. You don't have to do that. Be an entrepreneur or go get a degree and do something you love!

You will find nothing in Thailand about from shredded hope and bitter disappointment.
    i dont plan to find anything, just plan on having a good time like i did last time
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey, I am myself moving to Thailand on Monday for a year due to a job! Moving to central Bangkok.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Happiness is all that matters. If they are happy avoiding responsibility then they have already accomplished more than 99% of other people. They are happy.

But that's what he's talking about. You mentioned only having experience in a few bars and such, but that's just you being a slave to your CV back home. That's not living, that's just passive slavery. Why should what you do in life be tied to: "Ooooo I hope a future employer approves of this." That's just not living.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2013
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.