The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Which are the best halls at Salford? The accommodation questions megathread

Scroll to see replies

If position isn't a deciding factor, then really all it is that matters is social life and quality of the rooms. I think social life will be whatever you make it - you'll meet people on your course, and there will be people in whichever place you live that are cool! Manchester's such a great place, from my experience of it, that you'll be great wherever you are :smile:
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Thanks! The only thing I was worried about is that iQ won't be as social as the rest, but i'm sure i'll cope!

Does anyone know how many first year undergraduates tend to pick iQ?
Original post by AntoniaRose
Thanks! The only thing I was worried about is that iQ won't be as social as the rest, but i'm sure i'll cope!

Again, can't be 100%, but it would seem that the majority will be first year undergrads - second and third years will be in private accommodation most likely. There'll be some post-grads, but they have accommodation specifically for post-grads and families, so they'll be mostly over there I imagine!
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks FluffyLion!

Anyone have an advice on which house in iQ to choose?
Reply 24
Original post by AntoniaRose

I've booked IQ for 2011/12 and I'm going to be and undergraduate at Salford. I've also been on Yougo and met others who are going to IQ that are undergraduate. I don't know how many undergrads there will be in total, but you definately won't be on you own as an undergrad. when you pick your room you can see the age of your flatmates too, so its worth a look :smile:
Original post by TashaEH
I've booked IQ for 2011/12 and I'm going to be and undergraduate at Salford. I've also been on Yougo and met others who are going to IQ that are undergraduate. I don't know how many undergrads there will be in total, but you definately won't be on you own as an undergrad. when you pick your room you can see the age of your flatmates too, so its worth a look :smile:

Thanks! Completely forgot about Yougo. Registered to it practically forever ago too.
Hi guys - I'm in my first year at Salford.

iQ is pretty popular with first-years and, from what my friends who live there say, is very sociable. The rooms are SO nice, too. It's in a nice area, close to the uni, and basically the only reason to NOT love there is the fact it costs an arm and a leg. Ish.

For the love of all that is holy, do NOT go into John Lester/Eddie Colman. I live here, and it's a joke. Nothing works, the internet is shocking, and unless you're a person who can fully fling yourself with determination into making new friends in Freshers' if it kills you, dammit (I am not), you will have a very quiet life.
Reply 27
Hey guys :smile: I live in IQ at the moment in Wordsworth house and it's pretty good :smile: I can get to adelphi in about 20 minutes... and the gym in 10 (Free membership! :biggrin: )
It's pretty cool there, and you can make it as social as you want to be! I'm also living there next year in carroll flat in a hugee room :biggrin: haha.
I've applied for iQ, going to be in Lear House. Thanks everyone!
Reply 29
Cool, I've booked in Bronte house at IQ, has anyone else?
im in first yr here also :smile: (ask questions if u like)
honestly if ur wanting a social life, a laugh and general student life go to castle irwell!! its immense compared to others id say...
a house is with 10 other people, and everyone in mine has become practically best friends with nearly everyone next door.
theres always a party or something happening and security are ish good bout people on site n signin em in n stuff so u know your safe! its cheapest too :smile:

im going to castle irwell flats next yr (for returning students) cant wait!

although i do wish i had the luxury of IQ's ensuite not gonna lie!
Reply 31
Original post by icanshowyoutheworld
im in first yr here also :smile: (ask questions if u like)
honestly if ur wanting a social life, a laugh and general student life go to castle irwell!! its immense compared to others id say...
a house is with 10 other people, and everyone in mine has become practically best friends with nearly everyone next door.
theres always a party or something happening and security are ish good bout people on site n signin em in n stuff so u know your safe! its cheapest too :smile:

im going to castle irwell flats next yr (for returning students) cant wait!

although i do wish i had the luxury of IQ's ensuite not gonna lie!

i'm looking at castle irwell, whats the bathroom situation like ? not bothered about sharing one but 2 between 12 people is abit :/ how do you find it ?
Reply 32
Original post by Ant_93
i'm looking at castle irwell, whats the bathroom situation like ? not bothered about sharing one but 2 between 12 people is abit :/ how do you find it ?

Absolutely no problem. 2 showers and 2 toilets. I've lived here for 2 years now and its only a handful of times have I needed to use either of the shower or toilet and none are available.
I'll probably be at salford, but im staying at cosmo in Manchester :eek:
Reply 34
Hey!
Im starting at salford doing fashion design this year!
thinking about staying at iq?
not sure of which block! any one in there first year going there this year?
xxx
Reply 35
Yeah, I chose Bronte, there's not a map of where they all are in relation to each other, but they are all grouped together, you may have to choose at random which house you would like or base it on the people in each flat x x x
Reply 36
I was in IQ up to recently. Very noisy in places till dawn at times during the week and some violent goings on, so-called security are hopeless. I like a good laugh/party but could not study or get sleep when needed and complaints were easily either ignored by management or fobbed off by students. I got out. At Castle Irwell now, much better balance and safer than IQ
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm at Salford at the moment - I'm in Horlock Court and although the rooms aren't as nice as IQ for example (which is reflected in the price) I think Horlock Court is great because of where it is- the Students' Union, gym and main library are literally just a stonethrow away, if your lectures are on the peel park campus then it's only 2 minutes walk to the main Maxwell and Peel buildings, even less to Newton, and Chapman is right behind. It's the closest accommodation to the train station and has a shop, bank and bookshop downstairs. Social life here is great, and as I say it's right at the heart of the campus.

Yeah there're 2 showers and 2 toilets between 12 of us, which at first I was seriously worried about, but this is seriously not a problem, and I can only think of once so far this year when a toilet hasn't been available.

Have fun at Salford guys!
Reply 38
I have accepted a place but was wondering about accommodation after halls - do people tend to stay in halls for the whole time they are at Salford, or do they move to different areas? Would like to live in a house with mates after staying in halls, but not sure where to live.

Any help would be much appreciated!
which accomodation is nearest where the wildlife conservation lectures etc is taught?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending