The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Admitting yourself to a psych unit?

Can you do this in the UK?

I have reached the end of my tether and just feel I need time out from everything.
You can go down to A&E and be assessed by the crisis team. If they feel you're at risk to yourself or others they're likely to admit you to a psych unit, however this is usually only a short-term solution. Good luck, and stay safe.
Reply 2
http://www.samaritans.org/your_emotional_health/feeling_low.aspx?gclid=CLTkku-89LACFUxlfAod2TbIPw

Something you can do immediately, should you wish.

Genuinely hope you beat troubling times, whatever they may be.
Reply 3
I think it's quite hard to get admitted by just walking in like that. Are you an imminent danger to yourself and or others?
Reply 4
You can ask to be put into one, yes, but it's possible you're not quite clear on what their purpose generally is in this country. Psych wards are there basically just to keep you safe until a time when you're no longer a risk to yourself or others, you won't get admitted just to get time out from the world, and you shouldn't expect to get much additional treatment in there (I was in hospital for two months, never saw anyone except the psychiatrist once a week and the nurses on the ward). Although I can't speak for private wards, on the NHS getting admitted is very much to be avoided and only used as a last resort.

If you're having mental health problems then I hope you've been seeking treatment already - if not then I'd advise you to visit your GP ASAP (depending on what they perceive your needs to be they might refer you on to someone else). Hope you start feeling better soon. :smile:
Reply 5
thanks for the replies so far

well, I've been depressed for years, had counselling and ongoing medication and nothing has helped. I have too many problems and not enough energy to do anything.

any many thoughts of ending it cross my mind everyday but I don't want to hurt my family even though I'm slowly growing to resent them and everyone else in the world
Reply 6
Hi there

I was very close to becoming sectioned and know what the process of volunatary admission to hospital is like. It should be a last resort (for yourself and for the doctors) as the trauma of being admitted (whether or not it was against your will) can often outweigh your upset.

If you want to speak to me on a private basis about how it works, then feel free to drop me a PM. I truley and sincerley hope you feel right within yourself soon.

Muffin Head
You can ask to be assessed, but they try and keep people out of hospital whenever possible. They may arrange for you to be seen by the crisis team for a couple of weeks, who will visit you at home, and often it is these teams who decide who gets admitted anyway.
Reply 8
You've had a few replies now however generally speaking being admitted is something to avoid unless you pose a serious risk to either yourself or others. Some of the patients on a ward will have severe and profound behavioural disturbances and it can often be quite traumatic to experience especially when all you want is some peace and time to get away. Healthcare professionals ideally want to avoid admitting people where possible because in many cases the negatives associated with it may often outweigh the positives. In the UK much of the care for mental health is now delivered in the community and there is a strong emphasis on avoiding admission unless absolutely necessary.

By all means you could speak to your GP (or if you have one your care coordinator), however do keep in mind that hospital usually isn't the answer and please don't pin all your hopes on it. Often you will first be referred to a Crisis Team (as stated by ~ Purple Rose ~ above), it many areas it is these teams who decide on whether a person should be assessed for admission.

If things aren't working out for you OP you need to get in contact with your GP to explore other options especially if the current plan of action is not working :smile:
Reply 9
I need help.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you do this in the UK?

I have reached the end of my tether and just feel I need time out from everything.

I booked a session/assesment with a psychiatrist at The Priory (I live in Brighton & Hove) because my doctor and the NHS had a LONG waiting list and I couldn't take it anymore.

My session cost £120 for the initial hour - it was worth it as I was admitted and got further treatment faster. I had private healthcare through my employer at the time.

You can go to your doctor and go through them to see NHS psychiatrists if you can hang on for a month or so. Or you can go to A&E if you're having really severe thoughts/feelings/a danger to yourself and others. I wasn't at that point so chose to go private because I was somewhere between I can't wait but I don't want to end it all.. yet.

:hugs:
They're unlikely to admit you to an NHS ward unless necessary. There are far too few beds for those who need them and it's not unheard of for someone to be sent to a hospital several hours away.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
They're unlikely to admit you to an NHS ward unless necessary. There are far too few beds for those who need them and it's not unheard of for someone to be sent to a hospital several hours away.

Yep this happened to me twice. Sent to a hospital over an hour away. I had to wait for about 3 to 4 weeks in hospital to be transferred back to a local hospital (and even that was 20 minutes away).
Reply 13
Depending on local resources, you wont usually get admitted unless you are severely ill.

Also, don't be under the illusion that a psych ward will give you time out to have space and feel better, I have been on a few and they are mostly pretty dark places and you won't get much privacy which may make you feel worse.

I don't know what state you are in at the moment but hospital is a last resort - I hope there is a better option for you e.g. staying with a family member or friend or something.
Reply 14
Hi did u get sorted??????. I totally understand... peace within.. Paul
You can't technically admit yourself unless you go private. However if you see a crisis team they may admit you to a psychiatric ward if they think you are in danger of hurting yourself or others. Beds are very low in this country so it may not happen.

I've been in one, and it's not a break, it doesn't make you feel better. In fact it's a very disturbing experience. The 24/7 being with nurses etc can be helpful for some though.
Reply 16
They should have given you a number for your local mental health centre.
You need to do whatever you feel is best, but from my experience of psych wards(I've been admitted twice, and been an inpatient for a total of more than a year) it doesn't help AT ALL. I went in with Severe OCD and anxiety, and came out with psychosis, severe OCD, anxiety, depression and PTSD through what I experienced in there.

My first admission, I went in there voluntarily because i wanted to get better, and hated myself for doing that for the next 7 months i was in there. At the time I was 14, had spent my 15th birthday in there(which was a horrible experience as my mum was only allowed to visit me for 90 minutes and i got all my presents taken away by staff as soon as i opened them because apparently they were 'forbidden items' for a psych ward. All i was offered in there was meds, meds, and 11 other mentally disturbed patients being cooped up in a small space. Before i went in I wasn't suicidal at all, but I came out not wanting to live anymore. Sometimes the other patients would scream all night long, we weren't even allowed out in the garden for days, and the other patients kept trying to pick fights with everyone because we were all so f*cking bored.

The second time i went in I was told I could either go in, or they would section me so I HAD to go in. the psychiatrist was....very difficult to work with to say the least. He tried to increase my medication far too quickly and when I objected because of the serious side effects i was experiencing, I basically got told I would be sectioned and then they can inject me with whatever and however much they wanted.
I was not treated like a human being. No one was. The staff had the right to restrain patients whenever they wanted, and they didn't need to have a reason either. It's absolute hell, and when i wanted to kill myself because I couldn't stand it anymore, obviously they don't let me, cause otherwise they'd be out of a job. I once asked what would happen if a patient did manage to commit suicide on a ward, and the staff just said:'Don't, it'd GIVE US TOO MUCH PAPERWORK'
I don't think I need to say any more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kristen2
You need to do whatever you feel is best, but from my experience of psych wards(I've been admitted twice, and been an inpatient for a total of more than a year) it doesn't help AT ALL. I went in with Severe OCD and anxiety, and came out with psychosis, severe OCD, anxiety, depression and PTSD through what I experienced in there.

My first admission, I went in there voluntarily because i wanted to get better, and hated myself for doing that for the next 7 months i was in there. At the time I was 14, had spent my 15th birthday in there(which was a horrible experience as my mum was only allowed to visit me for 90 minutes and i got all my presents taken away by staff as soon as i opened them because apparently they were 'forbidden items' for a psych ward. All i was offered in there was meds, meds, and 11 other mentally disturbed patients being cooped up in a small space. Before i went in I wasn't suicidal at all, but I came out not wanting to live anymore. Sometimes the other patients would scream all night long, we weren't even allowed out in the garden for days, and the other patients kept trying to pick fights with everyone because we were all so f*cking bored.

The second time i went in I was told I could either go in, or they would section me so I HAD to go in. the psychiatrist was....very difficult to work with to say the least. He tried to increase my medication far too quickly and when I objected because of the serious side effects i was experiencing, I basically got told I would be sectioned and then they can inject me with whatever and however much they wanted.
I was not treated like a human being. No one was. The staff had the right to restrain patients whenever they wanted, and they didn't need to have a reason either. It's absolute hell, and when i wanted to kill myself because I couldn't stand it anymore, obviously they don't let me, cause otherwise they'd be out of a job. I once asked what would happen if a patient did manage to commit suicide on a ward, and the staff just said:'Don't, it'd GIVE US TOO MUCH PAPERWORK'
I don't think I need to say any more.

Your not going to like this but admittance in to these types of places is because you are a danger to yourself and others so consequentially, others will be making rules for you. Thats how it works. You are not capable of having freedom to do what you want without posing a danger.

Yes you are not treated like a normal human because you cant be given that freedom without being a danger or risk

Your circumstances obviously sucked but thats how it has to be, not because some evil doctors and psychs wanted to inject you and get off on treating you like a sub human
Thread is over 3 years old; OP has hopefully found a solution by now.

Latest