Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Red hair dye mistake - help please!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I dyed my hair tonight what I thought was going to be a nice dark brown with a hint of red. It didn't turn out as I expected and now I look like Ariel... How can I get the red to fade quickly? I've already dyed my hair twice this week (once on Monday, once today) so I don't want to redye it just yet.

Helllllllllp. Thank God it's the summer holidays lol.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? It looks even worse in daylight haha.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Luckily red fades pretty quick anyway, I used to redo mine once a month (I'm back to brunette now) however it can be a pain to get out (I had red tones for over a year when I went back brown last year, I've only just got it go really). I was told Head and Shoulders shampoo is pretty good at stripping colour from hair, but I don't know the truth in that though. If not, use a dye stripper (Superdrug do one for under £10 and I think there's colourb4 which is under £15) and then give it a day before redying a different colour.

From my experience, red is a stubborn colour. It sticks to the hair for quite a while. So if you're gonna go brunette over the top of it, you need an ashy brown undertone to neutralise it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    Luckily red fades pretty quick anyway, I used to redo mine once a month (I'm back to brunette now) however it can be a pain to get out (I had red tones for over a year when I went back brown last year, I've only just got it go really). I was told Head and Shoulders shampoo is pretty good at stripping colour from hair, but I don't know the truth in that though. If not, use a dye stripper (Superdrug do one for under £10 and I think there's colourb4 which is under £15) and then give it a day before redying a different colour.

From my experience, red is a stubborn colour. It sticks to the hair for quite a while. So if you're gonna go brunette over the top of it, you need an ashy brown undertone to neutralise it.
    Thank you. I've washed my hair three times with Head and Shoulders and used a deep conditioner so hopefully it'll start to fade. I don't mind having red undertones to the hair, it's just it's a really intense red right now and it looks really fake.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Thank you. I've washed my hair three times with Head and Shoulders and used a deep conditioner so hopefully it'll start to fade. I don't mind having red undertones to the hair, it's just it's a really intense red right now and it looks really fake.
    Washing it will fade it down, as will being out in the sun.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Hi, so I dyed my hair tonight what I thought was going to be a nice dark brown with a hint of red. It didn't turn out as I expected and now I look like Ariel... How can I get the red to fade quickly? I've already dyed my hair twice this week (once on Monday, once today) so I don't want to redye it just yet.

Helllllllllp. Thank God it's the summer holidays lol.
    There's a product you can get in Boots called Colour B4 which is for situations just like this. It "strips" out the colour back to what it was before without damadging your hair.
    It works well but it smells like rotten eggs
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both of you.
    I washed it a lot with Head and Shoulders and it's already faded quite a substantial amount. Going to dye an ash dark brown over it to try and neutralise it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.