The Student Room Group

I can't afford open days

Scroll to see replies

My 6th form gave me some money to go to an open day (including money for lunch :biggrin: ) so i would go have a chat to them! Failing that call the uni, and even still have a look at cheaper ways of getting to places (avoiding going through London makes it cheaper) buy tickets broken up, for example, going from brighton to cardiff it is cheaper to buy a ticket from brighton to reading, then reading to cardiff. Have a play with different ways of doing it (or getting the coach part or all of the way)
I went to open days on a Saturday so my Mum could take me- most unis have at least one on a Saturday.
Oh I know the feeling, I can only afford to go for one :-/

I suppose it's not that important.
Original post by jelly1000
I went to open days on a Saturday so my Mum could take me- most unis have at least one on a Saturday.

This is true! I couldn't remember but yeah I think the first two I went to were both on Saturdays and the third and fourth were on Wednesdays because they were applicant open days but I think all universities hold open days on Saturdays initially at the beginning of the academic year.
Reply 24
Just by asking I found that my college would pay for half my travel as part of my bursary. I'd check with your college to see if they can offer any help.
Original post by randomguy786
I'm spending over 45k as it's a 5 year course. I don't really see the point, it's my firm choice and I'm going there no matter what. I'll be there for the next 5 years so what's the point in going to an open day?

Because actually liking the environment you're going to be living in is important. The longer you're going to be there for, the more important it is that you choose the right place and there's more to it than the course and the reputation of the institution. The difference between what you see online and what you see and feel when you get there can be massive.
Original post by littleone271
Because actually liking the environment you're going to be living in is important. The longer you're going to be there for, the more important it is that you choose the right place and there's more to it than the course and the reputation of the institution. The difference between what you see online and what you see and feel when you get there can be massive.

Yes, but it has been firmed and there's no changing my options now. So what's the point in going to an open day? If I don't get the grades and I love the university, I'll just be tremendously disappointed.
Reply 27
Yes, but it has been firmed and there's no changing my options now. So what's the point in going to an open day? If I don't get the grades and I love the university, I'll just be tremendously disappointed.

One of the benefits of open days is that you get to check out the accommodation. The university pictures are usually taken from soon after the last refurbishment and can be misleading. Given the cost of accommodation and your inability to change easily, it is worth making sure if you have a choice if halls, you choose the best one for you.

By talking to existing students, you can get tips which make settling in a whole lot easier. Testing out the journey from home to university can help you clarify your choice of university.

It can help motivate you to get the grades you need to get there.

So in my experience going to open days is worth it.

National Express also have student/young person coach card for £10, I believe it takes 30% off standard fares. Their services can be more frequent and flexible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Miryo
I'm wanting to go to a few open days but I just can't afford the train/coach tickets. My parents work so can't take me. I don't live around many uni's im interested in and some of the train tickets cost more than £100. Is there anyway I can get some funding for this?

are you a student? coz if you are then you can get a nus card which will give you 25% of national express coaches journeys for a whole year and you can use the discount as much as you like. If not then you should check out national expresses website as they have some bargin deals on journeys if you book early in advance for instance the other day salisbury to london was £5. or theres red spotted hanky website where you can sometimes get bargin train tickets for long journeys.
Reply 29
If you really can't afford going to the open days, try YouTube and the websites for online virtual tours. It's better than nothing, and you'll at least get some feel for the uni.
Original post by syrettd
What if you get there and hate the uni and the town it's in, or the accomodation sucks?

Yeah, but I wouldn't be able to do anything about it even if i did hate the town and uni.
Yeah, but I wouldn't be able to do anything about it even if i did hate the town and uni.

But this person is probably only just starting to apply.

OP: Tickety Split!
Reply 32
Can't you go on the weekend?
Reply 33
If you book in advance online, then collect the tickets from the station, it does work out cheaper.
If you dont have a station listed below, well you will need to take a small journey from your local station to the stations listed below.
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/
They're not that necessary, i never attended any open days... A lot of the stuff they'll tell you is online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending