The Student Room Group

Resolution 2012/08 - Concerning the admission of the sovereign state of Taiwan

A new resolution from Tuvalu!

Resolution

Committee: Security Council
Proposed by: Tuvalu

Observing that Taiwan is a developed, self-governing state,
Observing further that it adheres to the principles of the United Nations Charter,
Believing that such a country should have a role in this United Nations,

1. Accepts Taiwan to observer status;
2. Affirms its commitment to a safe, peaceful and more tolerant world
3. Encourages the General Assembly to support such notion

The debate now begins!

jsb123
QFA
Reply 1
The Czech Republic supports this resolution. We believe that Taiwan has all the infrastructure to be a legal state (and indeed, was a UN member in the past) and we hope that it will eventually become a full member.
Reply 2
We strongly object to the following procedural terms:

1) The use of the wording 'sovereign state' in the above motion, which is unjustified.
2) The loaded use of the language 'peace' and 'tolerance' in an attempt to cause division within a legitimate sovereign state.

China reminds the assembly of Resolution 2758 which recognises the PRC as the sole legitimate successor state and representative of the Republic of China. We also bring attention to the unjustified and rightfully rejected attempt of the ROC to attain UN membership status in 2007.

It should be clear that under the One China policy, we believe the RoC to be historically, culturally and legally part of China. However, we recognise that integration will take time, preferably under mutually agreeable circumstances. We will not however, tolerate foreign intervention in our internal matters, and will veto any resolution that we feel violates our sovereignty.

We warmly receive the support of fellow nations who have rightfully respected the One China policy, and look forward to cooperating with them in the future.

Ukraine: (Remind me if Ukraine isn't allowed to post on these)

Ukraine is puzzled by both the intention and timing of Tuvalu's proposed resolution, given Taiwan's de facto status and its previous failed attempts at attaining UN membership. Ukraine will continue to recognise the PRC, a valued trading and investment partner, as the sole representative of China.
(edited 11 years ago)
We also cite Resolution 2758 as acknowledging that Taiwan is part of China.
Since 1950, the UK has recognised that the island of Taiwan is part of China.
Although India is committed to fostering further links with Taiwan, it continues to recognise only the People's Republic of China as the legitimate government of territorial China.
Reply 6
China warmly acknowledges the support of fellow Security Council nations in this matter.
The poll is up! Please vote now!

stanlas
QFA

Tenbinza
QFA

Akbar2k7
QFA

Kiss
QFA

rockrunride
QFA

Stricof
QFA

Birchington
QFA

sandys1000
QFA

SunderX
QFA
Reply 8
Will votes be made public? China will be issuing letters of protest to at least two nations.
Original post by SunderX
Will votes be made public? China will be issuing letters of protest to at least two nations.

Do you mean will people outside the SC find out how SC nations voted? They might do. It's not really a secret. I think non SC countries might be able to at least view the SC forum so they might be able to see for themselves.
Reply 10
Original post by thunder_chunky
Do you mean will people outside the SC find out how SC nations voted? They might do. It's not really a secret. I think non SC countries might be able to at least view the SC forum so they might be able to see for themselves.

OOC: More the case that I can't see who voted for what, so China doesn't know who to be annoyed at :tongue:. In practice due to the One China policy any nation who does vote for this resolution would probably have its diplomat expelled from Beijing (Formal diplomatic relations can only be maintained with either the PRC or the ROC, not both).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SunderX
OOC: More the case that I can't see who voted for what, so China doesn't know who to be annoyed at :tongue:. In practice due to the One China policy any nation who does vote for this resolution would probably have its diplomat expelled from Beijing (Formal diplomatic relations can only be maintained with either the PRC or the ROC, not both).

[ooc] Can't you see the results or anything that says "view poll results?" because I can see it all fine.
The USA recognizes the PRC as the sole government of China
Reply 13
Original post by Moleman1996
The USA recognizes the PRC as the sole government of China

Does the US not believe that their Taiwanese allies have a working and stable state?
The SC vote has failed!

Latest

Trending

Trending